Tue, Oct 22, 12:47 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Vue

Welcome to the Vue Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, TheBryster

Vue F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 17 8:34 am)

Subject: texture scale question

Calseeor ( ) posted Thu, 31 May 2001 at 8:49 AM ยท edited Mon, 21 October 2024 at 10:36 PM

Hello all, I am having trouble figuring out how to scale a texture to look right. Say I generate a random terrain that is 500X500. I then apply the grass terrain to it, at all its defaults. How big is this terrain supposed to be? Is this terrain a far off one? ( this is all at it defaults). What I mean is this: I see that on the grass testures, it says that there are paths in it. Well, on my new terrain, these "paths" are very little lines of brown. Am I correct in assuming that this lines are meant to be paths, way off in the distance? If so, does that mean the default texture size has turned my terrain into something that is meant to be far away in the distance? If I am confusing you, I appologise. I am having trouble findind the words to express what I am having issues with. For an example of what I mean, please check out my image at: http://www.renderosity.com/viewed.ez?galleryid=56900&Start=1&Sectionid=0&Form.Search=calseeor notice how to the right and behind the gravestone, tehre are these 'paths' in the ground. Should my grass texture have been scaled bigger? Or are those not actually "Paths" but just ground defects? Also, the "grass" looks flat, as if it is being veiwed from far away, which is why I had to add clumps of weeds and grass patches to give some depth here and there. Thanks for any help --Eryk

Calseeor ( ) posted Thu, 31 May 2001 at 8:50 AM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/viewed.ez?galleryid=56900&Start=1&Sectionid=0&Form.Search=calseeor

Oops..here is the link to the image I was questioning...

Varian ( ) posted Thu, 31 May 2001 at 10:05 AM

Hi Eryk, The scale of materials in Vue is unto itself. That is a scale of "1" on the grass material only applies to that particular material. If you make it smaller (like 0.5) or larger (17.00), the scale still applies only to that material. You might have grass material set to 3 and stone material set to .3 and it's all irrelevant except for how you want the material to appear on the particular object you've applied it to, and in your particular scene. For instance, the grass material might be used at a scale of .3 on one terrain and a scale of 6.0 on another terrain in same scene. There's no set unit of measure in Vue for everything. Each object or material has its own scale. Just adjust it to suit whatever scene you're building and how you want things to look. :)

Calseeor ( ) posted Thu, 31 May 2001 at 10:12 AM

hummmmmm...so these scales are not really relative to each other then. Scale to waht I like...ok. I will do that. Thanks Varian. :)

gebe ( ) posted Fri, 01 June 2001 at 1:16 AM

Varian is absolutely right. Scaling water is also very impotant. You need to do this some times if the water is seen from close up. You have then to scale it in relation to a roc(scale) in the foreground or to a plant in the foreground. It is very interesting to see the effects you can get in scaling water to 3.00 or even much more :-) Guitta

tesign ( ) posted Fri, 01 June 2001 at 5:57 AM

Bloodsong has a method that I adopt call "eyeball it"...LOL! Eyeball with relation to what the real world of distance and size here is what you need. "Eyeball"...just love that word!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.