Sun, Oct 6, 9:05 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 05 8:40 pm)

Subject: Even After SR1 and SR2 Poser 7 still only renders to 72ppi.

pjanak ( ) posted Wed, 10 October 2007 at 12:05 PM · edited Mon, 29 July 2024 at 7:17 PM

Even After SR1 and SR2 Poser still only renders to 72ppi. What is the point of the resolution setting if it cannot be utiliozed.
Pete

pjz99 ( ) posted Wed, 10 October 2007 at 12:11 PM

It doesn't have anything to do with image quality, it only has to do with some applications of printing the image.  You can just change it in an image editor e.g. Photoshop.

My Freebies

wolf359 ( ) posted Wed, 10 October 2007 at 1:56 PM · edited Wed, 10 October 2007 at 1:57 PM

file_390358.jpg

***"Even After SR1 and SR2 Poser still only renders to 72ppi. What is the point of the resolution setting if it cannot be utiliozed.***"

Has This Dialog has been removed from poser7 ????

( I am on Poser6 with no plans to "upgrade")

My website

YouTube Channel

wolf359 ( ) posted Wed, 10 October 2007 at 1:58 PM · edited Wed, 10 October 2007 at 1:58 PM

file_390359.jpg

the resulting resolution in Adbobe photoshop CS

My website

YouTube Channel

wolf359 ( ) posted Wed, 10 October 2007 at 2:01 PM

***Note ***i did switch from a 30 inch to a 4 inch render as poser was about to tie up my machine for some time just for this sample render

My website

YouTube Channel

Gareee ( ) posted Wed, 10 October 2007 at 3:36 PM

yep, works fine in the latest P7 version.

I set it to 4 inches by 4 inches by 300 dpi, and it rendered a 1200x1200 image

personally I always over render an image larger then needed and then downsize it in photoshop, especially for a printed project, and just set the dpi in there.

Since dpi has no relevance whatsoever until you are outputting to a print device that uses it, it's kind of a moot point.

Still, I guess it's better then using a caluclator if you NEED a specific dpi and a specific print size, but I can't think fo any render I've ever done that wouldn;t go right into photoshop anyway after rendering, even if it is onl for some very minor postwork.

Way too many people take way too many things way too seriously.

pakled ( ) posted Wed, 10 October 2007 at 4:45 PM

72ppi (pixels per inch) is a 'standard' for monitor resolution. There may be monitors that have more, but I'm not as up on speeds and feeds as I used to be.
Now Dots per inch (dpi) is printing; the standard laserjet can do 300 dpi without breaking a sweat. Some have tricks to get up to 600 or 1200dpi, but it depends on what you're after. If you want photographic quality, you'd want high resolutions, but it's a combination of what your printer will do and what you're aiming at.

If you're interested, there is a Printing forum here, which can go into greater detail.

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

Neuer_Versuch ( ) posted Wed, 10 October 2007 at 5:28 PM

file_390378.jpg

LCD-Monitore have a resolution of at least 96 dpi (not from 72 dpi). One can put the resolution under Poser 7 where one could also carry out the setting with all other Poser versions.

stewer ( ) posted Wed, 10 October 2007 at 6:18 PM

Attached Link: http://www.scantips.com/no72dpi.html#3

For what it's worth, the "72ppi for screen" has never had any relation to the physical resolution of the monitor. See the attached link. In general, I never worry about ppi or dpi. I just use the absolute number of pixels where possible, that's the easiest method. I could go at lengths at explaining the differences between ppi, dpi and lpi (I had to do all kinnds of conversions there when I was studying) and the whole Nyquist/Shannon sampling theorem, but that would probably be information overkill. This site would be good introduction (it's intended for scanning, but mostly applies to rendering oto): http://www.scantips.com/basics03.html

kuroyume0161 ( ) posted Wed, 10 October 2007 at 10:19 PM

The only time you have to worry about dpi is if you are printing and need particular pixel dimensions to fill the space exactly.  You're printing at 300dpi and the print will be 8x10, that's 2400x3000 pixels.  Voila.  Realistically though, with today's 'blurred' ink printers and thermals, even 240x300 could look decent with the correct algorithms used.

Good ole' Nyquist.  Just a sample of the fun, huh? ;p  (I not ony had to deal with this in pixels a bit but mainly with audio - 'nuf said).

C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot. C++ makes it harder, but when you do, you blow your whole leg off.

-- Bjarne Stroustrup

Contact Me | Kuroyume's DevelopmentZone

pjanak ( ) posted Thu, 11 October 2007 at 1:53 AM

Quote - It doesn't have anything to do with image quality, it only has to do with some applications of printing the image.  You can just change it in an image editor e.g. Photoshop.

So then what your saying is that setting really serves zippo purpose for those of us that use regular monitors. 

When I render an image out of Poser. It arrives in Photoshop as 72ppi. When I change the ppi to 300 the image clearly becomes changed. The jaggies get broken down to a finer detail of jaggies. Seems like that if we were able to literally render to 300ppi that the image would be less jagged to start with and cleaner than converting to 300ppi after the fact.

cspear ( ) posted Thu, 11 October 2007 at 6:24 AM · edited Thu, 11 October 2007 at 6:31 AM

Quote - When I change the ppi to 300 the image clearly becomes changed.

In Photoshop, make absolutely sure that 'Resample Image' is disabled otherwise yes, you will change the image.

You really need to get your head round the concept of resolution. This question comes up time after time, and it's really important, so I've decided that a Tutorial is in order.

Windows 10 x64 Pro - Intel Xeon E5450 @ 3.00GHz (x2)

PoserPro 11 - Units: Metres

Adobe CC 2017

bagginsbill ( ) posted Thu, 11 October 2007 at 12:12 PM

Attached Link: http://market.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showthread.php?message_id=3066995

Here's a searching tip. Any interesting word or phrase can be searched here at Rendo.

Also, any juicy argument over something interesting, is something I can't stay out of. Nobody every accused me of a lack of confidence. ehheheh

So... if you put in your search word like PPI and also search for poster = bagginsbill - voila - arguments over things you're probably interested in. :biggrin:

I'm not always right, but the issues get aired.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

wolf359 ( ) posted Thu, 11 October 2007 at 1:44 PM

please just look at the screen shots posted by garree and myself this question is answered. cheers

My website

YouTube Channel

pjanak ( ) posted Thu, 11 October 2007 at 11:24 PM

Okay guys. LOL. Yeah I do need to "wrap my head around it"
Pete

pjanak ( ) posted Thu, 11 October 2007 at 11:43 PM

I Read the thread BB posted. My head has fully wrapped around it. Thanks all.
Pete

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.