Tue, Oct 22, 2:25 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 22 1:40 am)

Subject: A delicate question....

soulhuntre ( ) posted Sun, 03 June 2001 at 2:43 AM ยท edited Tue, 22 October 2024 at 12:42 AM

Hey all :) OK... I am in between contracts here - I am a programmer/web developer by trade. I was sort of wondering how much people can make here at Renderosity? I know, very delicate. Lets not talk money for a moment... In your experience... what is the sales rate for a good texture/character? I know, it varies a lot... but an order of magnitude estimate would help. 100 a day? 10? 1? Is anyone making a living here @ renderosity?

thgeisel ( ) posted Sun, 03 June 2001 at 12:03 PM

well, dont think one can make your living with it.Only the moderators here make tons of money.most of them you can meet in the summer in Cannes and in the wintertime in San Moritz.

Nance ( ) posted Sun, 03 June 2001 at 12:28 PM

If anyone is making more than lunch money I'd be surprised. If there is, I would guess (and hope) it was the folks who have provided the most free stuff to the community and who also have CD's for sale. Good folks like Cal, Trav or SShanks.

soulhuntre ( ) posted Sun, 03 June 2001 at 12:38 PM

::nods:: Yeah, I don't think there is a ton of $$$ to be made - but I am not at all opposed to it if it is happening. I know in the last week I have dropped more tnan $100 here but I guess I am a-typical :)

Marque ( ) posted Sun, 03 June 2001 at 12:51 PM

No, you are not atypical, I have dropped at least $500 here is not $1000...I'm afraid to count it up. If you create good items and you keep the price reasonable you can make some money here. Just remember that once it is created you don't have to keep "baking" it...like cookies. Once you figure out your time and you sell enough to make your time back, it's pure profit from then on out. I'm not saying you can make your mortgage here, but if you have some spare time you should create something and submit it to find out for yourself. Marque

Mehndi ( ) posted Sun, 03 June 2001 at 2:25 PM

Well... I am a commercial artist/web developer between jobs too, due to the falldown of the DotComs in my area, so I know how it is for you. I probably should not quote exactly what I make... that seems to be taboo. However, it goes like this. You release a new product, and if it is really good, for a short while, sales are very good. Money rolls in. You better not sit back on your laurels though, because soon most of those who want it, have it. They then move on to buy someone elses things. So... you release another product, and more money from a new release rolls in... plus a few plateued out sales of the other thing. Then the new thing drops and plateus too. Did you work while it was selling, so you can now release another new thing to begin the cycle all over again? ;p I have three products in the store, close to releases on 2 more that I expect to do quite well. It is to be noted that due to collaboration on two of them, I split my profits with my collaborators 50/50, or I would make more. However... give or take a few dollars each month, I am coming fairly close to enough money to actually pay the rent where I live. Not support me totally... but it sure does help in these hard times for the dotcom slaves who are out of work, like you and me.

soulhuntre ( ) posted Sun, 03 June 2001 at 3:04 PM

Thank you for being so open with what's happening with your work - and for helping me get a handle on this sort of thing. Your responses match some of the "IM" responses I have gottent and so it seems that if I worked hard it would be possible to pay my rent. The thing is - this would be far form teh most effcient way for me to do that. I have story, I have developer skills and I have a web project using the 3d actors in mind ... if I put the same time into that I could probably support myself (barely). So... this was important to know so I didn't get distracted :)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.