Mon, Oct 21, 11:07 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Community Center

Welcome to the Community Center Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Community Center F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 21 3:28 pm)

Forum news, updates, events, etc. Please sitemail any notices or questions for the staff to the Forum Moderators.

Subject: How would YOU search for this online?

MINTY1974 ( ) posted Tue, 13 November 2007 at 10:19 AM · edited Thu, 25 July 2024 at 10:14 PM

Hi guys,

I have a small favour to ask. If you have the time can you let me know what would YOU  type in to a search engine if you required a company that sold silver jewellery online? What do you think would be your top 3 search terms? 

I'm trying to get an unbiased response so that I can help optimise my partners jewellery site. Any help would be great and much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

AnnieD ( ) posted Tue, 13 November 2007 at 10:48 AM

I don't think I would be looking for "just" a company that sold silver jewelry online.  I would be looking for a specific piece probably.   ie: silver rings or silver bracelet etc.

If I were looking for just a company...ie: a gift for someone.....My main concern would be affordable pricing or quality.

Some search words might be: affordable and quality, also service.

“For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible.”

[Stuart Chase]

MINTY1974 ( ) posted Tue, 13 November 2007 at 10:54 AM

Thank you for taking the time to help out, I appreciate it.

dlk30341 ( ) posted Tue, 13 November 2007 at 11:23 AM · edited Tue, 13 November 2007 at 11:24 AM

I would try these specific sites:

hsn.com
qvc.com

They have gobs of jewerly at good quality and are reputable in case any problems arise.

MINTY1974 ( ) posted Tue, 13 November 2007 at 11:35 AM

Thanks for the help, but what I really want to know is what search terms people use to find jewellery online rather than specific shops/stores.

spedler ( ) posted Tue, 13 November 2007 at 11:56 AM

Well, if I could only enter three search items, it's pretty easy: silver+jewellery+buy.

I did this and got a zillion hits for buying silver jewellery online.
I agree with AnnieD though that I'd probably be looking for a more specific piece, in which case it would be silver+[piece type]+buy.

Steve

AnnieD ( ) posted Tue, 13 November 2007 at 12:16 PM

I think what he wants is to find out how ppl enter search info so he can use the best tags for search words to direct them to his site for silver jewelry...or at least put the site in the first 10 or so links that come up on Google.

“For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible.”

[Stuart Chase]

MINTY1974 ( ) posted Tue, 13 November 2007 at 12:46 PM

Attached Link: Silver Jewellery from Oishii - Silver Jewellery & Gifts By Mail

Cheers guys. Annie is right, trying to get my partners site up in the rankings. We have recently overhauled it and re-submitted it to google. Thanks for all the help so far.

Acadia ( ) posted Tue, 13 November 2007 at 7:11 PM

I don't buy things like jewellery on line but if I were to search I would look for specific items such as

bracelet silver jewellery
ring silver jewellery
necklace silver jewellery

I suggest you take into account the various spellings such as:

jewels
jewelry
jewellery

And I would also suggest you add the term:

sterling

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

Unicornst ( ) posted Tue, 13 November 2007 at 7:39 PM

**I took a peek at a couple pages of the rings you have there. Lovely work. I so love silver anything.

If you're overhauling the site, may I make a suggestion? Perhaps you could also incude the price converted to dollars? There were a couple there I was interested in, but I don't know the difference between pounds ( I think it was the symbol for pounds) and dollars.

Oh...to answer the question  posed....

Silver jewelry
Silver bracelet
Silver ring
Etc.**

KarenJ ( ) posted Wed, 14 November 2007 at 2:38 AM

Nice work on the site. The products look lovely.

If I was looking for something specific, I'd probably google "Amethyst earrings" or "silver rings". If I wanted something more general I'd probably look for "jewellery gift ideas".

One piece of advice I would give is that the "splash" pages for each of the sections just doesn't exist as far as the search engines are concerned. There's no alt tag, even, on the image. And as a consumer, I find it quite confusing. The images are lovely and very stylish, but I'm kind of "well where are the products then" - especially on the necklace splash page, where the red text is very hard to read. I'd consider using that splash page to show one or two bestsellers from those categories, and then add some keyword-rich text so the page. (So make the splash image a background to a table cell.) On some of them you might need to add a semi-opaque panel so the text is easily readable.

Also for optimising, not sure what commerce solution you're using, but oscommerce and ZenCart both have add-ons (free) which will change the urls of the products to something more meanginful. So instead of
http://www.oishii-jewellery.co.uk/proddetail.asp?prod=CHN101
you get
http://www.oishii-jewellery.co.uk/proddetail.asp?prod=silver-ice-necklace
which gets picked up by the engines and adds to the google rank.

"you are terrifying
and strange and beautiful
something not everyone knows how to love." - Warsan Shire

MINTY1974 ( ) posted Wed, 14 November 2007 at 8:13 AM

Thank you very much for all the info so far guys. We really appreciate it, it's being really helpful.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.