Thu, Sep 19, 10:39 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Bryce

Welcome to the Bryce Forum

Forum Moderators: TheBryster

Bryce F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 28 6:28 pm)

[Gallery]     [Tutorials]

THE PLACE FOR ALL THINGS BRYCE - GOT A PROBLEM? YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE

Subject: Bryce 5.5 vs Bryce 6.1

InaneGlory ( ) posted Wed, 14 November 2007 at 10:07 PM · edited Thu, 25 July 2024 at 12:56 PM

So what are the real differences between 5.5 & 6.1? Thinking about upgrading but not sure if the differences are worth the money. In fact I'm not really sure what the differences actually are.
If you go to Daz there are a lot of platitudes & generalities given but nothing concrete.

erosiaart ( ) posted Wed, 14 November 2007 at 10:28 PM

i' still using 5... will wait till 7 to change :-P

vncnt9663 ( ) posted Thu, 15 November 2007 at 1:14 AM · edited Thu, 15 November 2007 at 1:17 AM

Don't do it! You'll be sorry you did. Way too many bugs. The only thing good about it is you get some new tools in the terrain editor and HDRI.   Read the threads about all the problems everyone around here is having to know what I mean.

If 5 works for you stay with it. Wait for 7.

sackrat ( ) posted Thu, 15 November 2007 at 2:44 AM

I dunno,..........there are workarounds for most of the bugs and the HDRI and multi-threading capabilities are worth it for me.

"Any club that would have me as a member is probably not worth joining" -Groucho Marx

dhama ( ) posted Thu, 15 November 2007 at 3:01 AM

If you need to ask then an upgrade maybe isn't for you. It was for me and i'm happy with it.

*Times when I got a crash....
*Using metaballs, but as I don't use them generally so thats not a problem for me.

Thats it!

Rochr ( ) posted Thu, 15 November 2007 at 5:12 AM

I still prefer and use 5.5, which i find to be the most solid version released.

Rudolf Herczog
Digital Artist
www.rochr.com

TheBryster ( ) posted Thu, 15 November 2007 at 11:24 AM
Forum Moderator

6.1 works fine for me.

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader

All the Woes of a World by Jonathan Icknield aka The Bryster

And in my final hours - I would cling rather to the tattooed hand of kindness - than the unblemished hand of hate...

BOOMER ( ) posted Thu, 15 November 2007 at 11:35 AM

Hey All,

Been a while since I posted anything.  I have sinced moved in with my girlfriend and was studying ALL summer long for the sergeants promotional exam which I finally took on October 25.

Anyway, stick with 5 if it is working fine.  I had 6.1, set an image to render overnight while I went to work, maxed out the settings to make look real pretty.  When I came home, Bryce had crashed.  When I went to send the error report, IE could not connet.  When I closed IE, it Bryce went down and I blue screened.  Using XP on an UBER power system that my friend and I built.  Well, that was the last time I saw my desktop.  I MAJORLY screwed something up and is currently undergoing serious surgery.  So, stick with 5.

Because I like to blow $%&# up.

Don't fear the night.  Fear what hunts at night.

dan whiteside ( ) posted Thu, 15 November 2007 at 12:08 PM

For me it's worth it having for Multi-processor support and IBL (and Intel native on the Mac). Right now I'm doing my scene creation in 5.5C which is much more stable and then using 6.1 for rendering and IBL. So far this has worked pretty well for me on both the Mac and PC. I solved a lot of my PC 6.1 problems by turning off the Screen and Energy Saver stuff, which interfered with rendering. While this didn't cause a crash it did suspend the rendering process till I woke the PC back up.

Incognitas ( ) posted Thu, 15 November 2007 at 1:45 PM

I liked the original Bryce 6 but the upgrade to 6.01 have made one feature that was worth it diffucult to use.Whatever they did to the IBL has made it harder to use rather than easier.However the random replication tool and the mesh export of booleans and the ability to add new categories to presets are quite nice additions that do make life easier.

FranOnTheEdge ( ) posted Sun, 18 November 2007 at 3:09 PM

In 5.5 imported objects are grey and therefore visible (unless they have UVmappng and textures applied then they are textured, B6 imports objects as totally black - like a hole in the screen - you can't see anything.  There was supposed to be an update but imported objects are still black.

However.

I do love the ability to model in Bryce and then export it to Wings3d to do some more to it, then importing it back and modeling some more in Bryce etc etc.

I've also got very used to the better lighting in B6 as I recently found out when going back to B5 to test a scene I'd been looking at in B6.  When I went into B5 it was much more difficult getting the lighting to look even halfway close to what I'd had in B6, and rendering it took much longer in B5, or at least it felt like that.

That's it really.

Measure your mind's height
by the shade it casts.

Robert Browning (Paracelsus)

Fran's Freestuff

http://franontheedge.blogspot.com/

http://www.FranOnTheEdge.com

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.