Tue, Oct 22, 12:52 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 22 11:46 am)

Subject: Totally O/T - Dual Monitors + Vista Desktop Woes

tastiger ( ) posted Thu, 15 November 2007 at 2:50 PM · edited Tue, 22 October 2024 at 12:42 PM

OK - have this really annoying issue and hoping someone may have a clue or two!

I have spent ages getting my desktop arranged just how I want it - Then along comes someone else in the house and logs into their account on my lovely new 64 bit computer and when I log back into my account all my desktop icons have moved and are all over the place - it's just plain annoying!!!!!!

I never seemed to have this issue in XP with dual monitors - things stayed put on each monitor.

Any clues / suggestions?

The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive.
Robert A. Heinlein

11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-11900K @ 3.50GHz   3.50 GHz
64.0 GB (63.9 GB usable)
Geforce RTX 3060 12 GB
Windows 11 Pro

bagginsbill ( ) posted Thu, 15 November 2007 at 3:50 PM · edited Thu, 15 November 2007 at 3:51 PM

Yeah - don't use the desktop. Seriously.

What I do is make a folder on my desktop, called "My Organized Desktop". I set that folder's display mode to "Icon". I arrange things how I want in there. When I want my organized desktop, I double click it.

Actually I have about 20 different "Desktops" for different high level activities. One for Poser, one for games, one for programming, one for recipes, one for photography ... you get the idea.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

pakled ( ) posted Fri, 16 November 2007 at 7:10 AM

Maybe you can fix it as a rights issue. Are you sure they were using their account? if they used yours, that would explain a lot. If Vista has one thing; it's the ability to make itself not do something. Even with XP, the desktop area should be customized per user. If you made yourself admin, and them not (i.e., a regular user without admin privileges) , that might help some.

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

tastiger ( ) posted Fri, 16 November 2007 at 1:38 PM

Quote - Maybe you can fix it as a rights issue. Are you sure they were using their account? if they used yours, that would explain a lot. If Vista has one thing; it's the ability to make itself not do something. Even with XP, the desktop area should be customized per user. If you made yourself admin, and them not (i.e., a regular user without admin privileges) , that might help some.

That is the weird thing - I made all the other accounts non admin - but it still happens - I know with Win 98 and above I never had this issue - in fact I think in Win 98 you could actually set and lock the desktop for each user - I'm wondering if it's beause I have some icons on monitor 1 and others on monitor 2 - and Vista has an issue with dual monitor configs and wants to put everything on monitor 1.

Although if I restart without another user logging in it's not affected - it just seems to be when someone logs into a different account.

Robert A. Heinlein

64.0 GB (63.9 GB usable)
Geforce RTX 3060 12 GB
Windows 11 Pro

pakled ( ) posted Fri, 16 November 2007 at 9:46 PM

well....;) I suppose you could use the built-in help feature in Vista, and post it to the Vista folks at Microsoft... just frame the question, and it can take you to a forum. Don't have the details (I'm on Win2k...but I took some Vista training courses...;) but I know  that's  an option. Also, Googling the problem can often get you info that the web sites don't have (I do a lot of HP printer repair, and half the time it's faster to Google it than go through their own web site..;)

You'd think there'd be something under desktop properties...
Another thing, if you like, would be to go back to a restore point before they bollixed up the screen, but that's more of an extreme approach (not to mention time consuming)

a baleful glare and a "don't mess with the screen" might be in order as well...;)

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

tastiger ( ) posted Fri, 16 November 2007 at 10:50 PM

Quote - well....;) I suppose you could use the built-in help feature in Vista, and post it to the Vista folks at Microsoft... just frame the question, and it can take you to a forum. Don't have the details (I'm on Win2k...but I took some Vista training courses...;) but I know  that's  an option. Also, Googling the problem can often get you info that the web sites don't have (I do a lot of HP printer repair, and half the time it's faster to Google it than go through their own web site..;)

You'd think there'd be something under desktop properties...
Another thing, if you like, would be to go back to a restore point before they bollixed up the screen, but that's more of an extreme approach (not to mention time consuming)

a baleful glare and a "don't mess with the screen" might be in order as well...;)

Hae tried the M$ forums without much joy - thats how I ended up trying here wil keep looking through Google as the Vista help tells you a lot of useless information :cursing:

Don't worry I have given the family due warning......
:b_tonguewink:

Robert A. Heinlein

64.0 GB (63.9 GB usable)
Geforce RTX 3060 12 GB
Windows 11 Pro

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.