Sun, Oct 6, 7:32 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 05 8:40 pm)

Subject: Paper suggestions for printing renders as gifts

rosalind36 ( ) posted Thu, 15 November 2007 at 12:41 PM · edited Sun, 06 October 2024 at 7:32 AM

I'm hoping to do some renders for my friends as Christmas gifts-- not exact replicas of them but images of who they are to me and what they have meant in my life. Perhaps a big undertaking since I'm still just starting out, but I'm game to give it a try.

Can anyone recommend papers I might consider using? Something that would make the renders a little more special than just doing them on regular copy paper? I have access to a color laser printer, and I'm hoping to be able to use it to make the prints, but I still don't have good paper ideas.

Thanks in advance,
rosalind36

cedarwolf ( ) posted Thu, 15 November 2007 at 12:59 PM

I believe Kodak makes a color printer paper that is available in either matt or glossy finish.  It really depends on what the image is and how you want it produced.  When I was working in photography I found that for most portrait work matt finish was better because it gives the texture of a stretched canvas.  Glossy is good for slick prints that have a magazine quality to them.

I'm not sure where you are or what stores are available where you are but you might try shopping at a camera store that handles photographic papers and such as many of them also handle papers for electronic printers.

I hope that helps some.

BTW, your gift idea is an excellent idea.

Conniekat8 ( ) posted Thu, 15 November 2007 at 2:10 PM

I dunno about laser printing or renders and photos, they usually don't give you the best quality, but here are couple of alternatives:

I always print my gift renders and photos with a photo quality inkjet (personally, Epson) on a glossy paper, with archival quality.

If you don't have a lot of them ($$$) you can take the images to your local photo store and have them printed on 8x10 super duper high end photo quality paper. Here in the US they have them all over, almost wherever they developed film, they can print images now, so if you're from 'round here, you should be able to find one pretty easily.
It'll probably cost you 2-5 bucks per print.
Personally, I think that would make it special (and really good quality, and archival), and if I didn't have super duper photo printer at home, that's what I'd do.

Of course, if you're making them for 25 of your closest friends, that may get pricey.

Hi, my namez: "NO, Bad Kitteh, NO!"  Whaz yurs?
BadKittehCo Store  BadKittehCo Freebies and product support

dvlenk6 ( ) posted Thu, 15 November 2007 at 2:14 PM

HP makes print quality papers too.
Don't which is cheaper, or better...
I'm using HP paper right now, 'cause I got a big box of it for practically nothing at the store when I bought my printer.

Friends don't let friends use booleans.

rosalind36 ( ) posted Thu, 15 November 2007 at 4:34 PM

Thanks to everyone who has already responded! I didn't realize that laser renders wouldn't be as high quality as inkjet printers. Definitely something to keep in mind when my current low-quality photo inkjet breaks down. Any day now...

RedPhantom ( ) posted Thu, 15 November 2007 at 9:09 PM
Site Admin

A suggestion, if your planning on framing the pictures with glass in the frame, you'll want to use a matt finish. Glass and glossy paper can each cause glares and combining them makes it worse.

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

Today I break my own personal record for the number of days for being alive.
Check out my store here or my free stuff here
I use Poser 13 and win 10

Realmling ( ) posted Fri, 16 November 2007 at 10:35 AM

If you wanted to make it even more special they also make art canvas for inkject printers.  

If you have a high end laser printer, you can get great results.....some of the cheaper "home" editions aren't bad, but the little one I have at home does not compare with the big monster we have at work. With a color laser printer, you really do need to watch your colors and have everything set up right.

It can be done, but a photo type print from an inkjet or a photo printer will end up looking much better for what you're planning.

Crazy alien chick FTW! (yeah....right....)

Realm of Savage - Poser goodies and so much more!

~~

Tiari ( ) posted Fri, 16 November 2007 at 6:25 PM · edited Fri, 16 November 2007 at 6:28 PM

Staples has a good double sided matte finish paper (just use the one side) its very inexpensive, and gives great finish.  I always use matte for my pro prints, there is way too much glare in gloss.  The double sided matte is in 8 1/2 x 11 in

Also recommend the inkjet, its what i have and the prints come out fantastic.

Edit:  Incidentally, I print for professional framing and selling of art prints.  Don't buy into the more expensive the better, or name brand load of you know what.  The staples brand photo paper works just fine, and it has an extended life, just like any other paper.

The only time I pay big samolians for my paper is the ROLL paper for my two monsters, which I only use Kodak.   

Considering you are starting out, go cheap and good.

pakled ( ) posted Fri, 16 November 2007 at 9:57 PM

gad, you have plotters? you IS rich...;)

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.