Tue, Oct 22, 2:40 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 22 1:40 am)

Subject: Poser into TrueSpace is an expensive proposal?

rbanzai ( ) posted Tue, 05 June 2001 at 10:38 AM ยท edited Tue, 22 October 2024 at 2:33 AM

From what I can tell you cannot get Poser charcters into TrueSpace without ponying up alot of bucks. I see that the TruePose plug-in for TS costs $100 and that 3D Explorer has changed hands and now requires an "Enterprise Edition" to export and not just open files. What's the final word? Is it possible to get Poser characters imported into TS and to get them textured properly the way I can in Bryce 4? I really want to use a renderer that supports Renderosity but TS is the only one I can afford that is a real package. Thanks for any help

JKeller ( ) posted Tue, 05 June 2001 at 10:49 AM

If you convert an .obj that you exported from Poser into a .cob with Compose, will it retain it's texture coordinates?

Also, it was meantioned at one time that Curious Labs is working on a Poser to Truespace plug-in to be available for Pro Pack owners.

PhilC ( ) posted Tue, 05 June 2001 at 11:14 AM

I,m fairly sure that Compose will do it. If you would like to email me a test COB and texture, I'll happily try it out in my Truespace to ensure that it works.
Regarding 3DExplorer.... are you sure you have your info correct.... is there still the "lite" version? They may have changed things. Either way I use this a lot for my conversions and highly recommend it as being very good value for money.
Truepose also gets my thumbs up but I have to admit that if I was only doing this for a hobby I would have been put off by the price.
philc_agatha_white_on_black.jpg

smallspace ( ) posted Tue, 05 June 2001 at 11:41 AM
Online Now!

Phil, Things have indeed changed for 3D Exploration. The "Lite" version is just a viewer, not a format converter. I have to say that I don't really know about Compose. I've always found it awkward to use. The program that is the absolute best at converting OBJ into fully textured COB is Polytrans. It even gets the rotation axis correct. Unfortunately for most people, it insanely expensive. -SMT

I'd rather stay in my lane than lay in my stain!

soulhuntre ( ) posted Tue, 05 June 2001 at 12:40 PM

Let me put a word in for "truepose". I have never used it but I did use "Maxpose" for a long time (same guy) before the pro pack made it obsolete and it was a great tool. Take that for what it is worth :)

epa2401 ( ) posted Wed, 06 June 2001 at 10:32 AM

I've been using Compose to convert my Poser figures from OBJ to COB and import them into Truespace and it works pretty well. Like somone else said, it's a little awkward to use. You also have to apply the textures to your figure after you import it. (If there's a way to apply them using Compose, I haven't found it yet.) One thing I like is being able to break the body parts up by material and combine the parts that will have the same material together into a single object. This allows you to have just Body instead of Right Collar, Right Shoulder, etc. It's bit of a pain though with some models, such as Victoria and Michael, having to split their fingertips into skin and fingernail. But then I can combine all the fingernails into one object and combine the finger's skin with the other body parts. I can then apply the fingernail texture once in Truespace instead of 10 times and the skin texture once instead of dozens of times.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.