Mon, Oct 7, 11:29 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Bryce

Welcome to the Bryce Forum

Forum Moderators: TheBryster

Bryce F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 28 6:28 pm)

[Gallery]     [Tutorials]

THE PLACE FOR ALL THINGS BRYCE - GOT A PROBLEM? YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE

Subject: OT: HD Crash and a Reminder.

Analog-X64 ( ) posted Sat, 15 December 2007 at 8:55 AM · edited Mon, 07 October 2024 at 9:26 AM

My Fastest PC which is used for Graphics and Music production just went out of comission.

As we all know, Hard Drives are prone to failure due to their mechanical nature, but this was a bit premature.  My Data Drive failed after 6 months of use.

This is how my System was configured. 

1 x 80 GB Main Drive where windows is installed
1 x 250GB Secondary Drive where all data is stored.

Using this method, the smaller main drive takes all the abuse from Windows writing to the hard drive on a continuious basis.

The Secondary drive is only used to store data like Bryce Files or Audio Recording.

So in theory the Data drive should last longer is it not written to so frequently.

To top it all off, this PC is not used all the time, only when I'm creating/rendering something.

Although I have some of the data backed up to other medium, my most recent works is lost.

I will be re-building the PC with a new method... I will using Raid 1.. basically two Hard Drives of identical size are written to at the same time, both drives have identical data.  If one drive failes, the other drive takes over and you can replace the failed drive and have both drives synchronized.

So this serves as a good reminder to always back you're data as you can never tell when a drive will fail.

This is the first time I've had a hard drive fail after 6 months.

pakled ( ) posted Sat, 15 December 2007 at 10:26 AM

been there, done that. There's 2 types of Pc users out there; the ones who have had a hard drive fail, and those who are going to...

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

RodsArt ( ) posted Sat, 15 December 2007 at 10:38 AM

Sorry to hear.

Most HD makers warranty their products, can you get an RMA ? Do you have the original reciept? Maybe they would consider an upgrade with a discount from the old drive? Might be worth contacting them.

When my MoBo went down it was out of warranty. Ugh!

___
Ockham's razor- It's that simple

UVDan ( ) posted Sat, 15 December 2007 at 12:18 PM · edited Sat, 15 December 2007 at 12:19 PM
Forum Moderator

I have definitely been down that road.  I had a hard drive stop recognizing xp and I could not boot it.  I switched it to a slave and installed xp to a fresh hd and now I can read the data at least.  I need a DVD burner to backup to.

Free men do not ask permission to bear arms!!

tom271 ( ) posted Sat, 15 December 2007 at 12:56 PM

remember me?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

serendigity59@gmail.com ( ) posted Tue, 18 December 2007 at 11:42 PM

I just purchased a new Maxtor 320GB External USB HDD for exclusive use for backups of my laptop HDD and data files on my main external HDD. Double redundancy is a necessity these days. And for $129, very very affordable :-)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.