Sun, Oct 6, 7:19 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 05 8:40 pm)

Subject: You can never have enough space...!

Magic_Man ( ) posted Thu, 20 December 2007 at 5:58 PM · edited Mon, 23 September 2024 at 1:44 AM

Just as an experiment...
Poser 7 on four screens

Poser 7 over four screens (1 graphics card, Matrox Triple Head 2 Go, 3 x 19", 1 x 24")

Just a newbie to Poser at the moment but have been tempted to give it a try after seeing all the skill on Renderosity - my usual hobby (and the reason for the setup) - is Flight Simulation... 
:biggrin:

SamTherapy ( ) posted Thu, 20 December 2007 at 6:11 PM

Whoa!  That's some serious screenage you have there.  Marvellous set up.  I wonder if I can get something like that if I sell the missis and the cats?  

Only joking Claire, put that rolling pin down. 

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

FrankT ( ) posted Thu, 20 December 2007 at 6:26 PM

man I wish Vue could use multiple monitors !! that's some set up you have there

My Freebies
Buy stuff on RedBubble

lkendall ( ) posted Thu, 20 December 2007 at 6:34 PM

12/20/07

I'm color blind so I could be wrong, but I think I just turned green (with envy).

LMK

Probably edited for spelling, grammer, punctuation, or typos.

RedPhantom ( ) posted Thu, 20 December 2007 at 6:50 PM
Site Admin

green doesn't begin to discribe it. I'd love to have 2 monitors, but don't have the money or space for the second one.

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

Today I break my own personal record for the number of days for being alive.
Check out my store here or my free stuff here
I use Poser 13 and win 10

JOELGLAINE ( ) posted Thu, 20 December 2007 at 6:57 PM

Looks like my set-up.  Doesn't take a lot to accomplish. I have hard-wired graphics on one PC, and added a cheapo Nvidia TNT rage. BAM! Enough for two monitors right there. I added a HD2400 by ATi to my 2nd PC and now have plugs for three more monitors! LOLOLOLOL  If I had flat panels for them all, I'd have a six-panel Matrix style set-up

Three's enough for me.

I cannot save the world. Only my little piece of it. If we all act together, we can save the world.--Nelson Mandela
An  inconsistent hobgoblin is the fool of little minds
Taking "Just do it" to a whole new level!   

Magic_Man ( ) posted Thu, 20 December 2007 at 7:16 PM

My main hobby is Flight Simulator as said (perhaps I can convert some of you...) but I just wanted to see what you could do with Poser on there - just wish I had the Poser skills like you guys to go with it :sad: - I'm strictly a newbie at the moment...

Khai ( ) posted Thu, 20 December 2007 at 7:28 PM

oh very nice... I've been looking at the tripleheads :)

atm I'm running a triple monitor setup myself.. 3x17" Samsung LCD's 2 via my ATI card and 1 via a Viewport USB Adaptor...

Acadia ( ) posted Thu, 20 December 2007 at 7:34 PM

I'll stick to my 1 - 22" flat screen!  While everyone else seems to be drooling over your setup, it completely overwhelms me!  LOL

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

SamTherapy ( ) posted Thu, 20 December 2007 at 7:35 PM

Magic_Man, you'll get to grips with Poser soon enough.  Everyone here is willing to pitch in and answer any questions you may have.

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

Acadia ( ) posted Thu, 20 December 2007 at 8:17 PM

Quote - My main hobby is Flight Simulator as said (perhaps I can convert some of you...) but I just wanted to see what you could do with Poser on there - just wish I had the Poser skills like you guys to go with it :sad: - I'm strictly a newbie at the moment...

Flight Simulation sounds like a blast!  I love to flying. Just wish I could afford to do it more often!  Not sure I would like being behind the controls though!

So far as Poser goes, it's a daunting program with a huge learning curve.

It took me something like 6 months before I actually managed to do a render. I'm not talking about an image that was good enough to render, I really mean using the render area for anything! 

I was so frustrated wtih Poser when I started because I couldn't do anything in it. I read the manual and found it too technical. It didn't address using bought things such as character addons etc.  I didn't even know how to put clothing on the figure for the longest time. And once I figured out how to do that the figure kept disappearing because the manual gave wrong instructions regarding which "check mark" to click when adding something!   Finally when I managed to get a figure and clothing into the scene I had no idea about applying textures. To me a texture is a material and should be in the material area, not under "pose", and once I did learn that the textures were in the pose folder, I couldn't find anything in there because I didn't know about file organization and everything was just jumbled in there.

I can't even begin to count how many times I gave up on Poser: uninstalling it and then reinstalling it again a few weeks later.

I was asking all kinds of questions, but because I didn't know the terminology, or how to ask my question in a way that others understood, I was getting answers that weren't really helping me.  And all the tutorials I was being linked to seemed that you had to have some prior knowledge of Poser to do them. I couldn't find any really newbie tutorials to show me how to add a figure, add clothing, add a texture, a hair etc, and finally do a render of the scene.

I was gaining knowledge, but it wasn't making sense to me because it was like trying to read random pages of a  book that had been thrown all around the room and trying to piece together the story.

Finally VooDoo over at Daz took pity on me and got me in ICQ and spent some time with me walking me through the basics of creating a pretty character that I could render. I swear after that I was in ICQ everyday sending him links to new things I managed to do! He must have been rolling his eyes each time!  LOL

But after that it was little steps all of the time. For a long time I stayed in my comfort zone and only did "barbie dress up", but then I started to take interest in other things because "barbie dress up" got boring.  

I'm still learning things all of the time and still have tons and tons to learn.  But the people here are really nice and help me learn.

My advice is to not try and learning everything all at once.  Work on learning one thing and once you are comfortable with it, then add something else.  Trying to learn it all at once only leads to frustration.

I remember how frustrated I was with the lack of newbie information out there when I started, and that's why I put together an essay of information that I wish I had available to me back when I first started.   It will all come together, I promise!  :)

pakled ( ) posted Thu, 20 December 2007 at 9:19 PM

how do you find the mouse cursor?..;) I've seen 4-screen systems at work. One with a (predictably) Matrix screen saver...;) As long as you have a seperate video out for each monitor, I think the ultimate is 16 screens (depending on the OS...;)

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

dennisharoldsen ( ) posted Thu, 20 December 2007 at 9:30 PM

Hi Acadia

thanks for what you have shared.

i keep thinking about that there is something wrong with me.
the answer to my questions seem to bring up more that i don't understand.

you said:

"I put together an essay of information that I wish I had available to me back when I first started."

is that available?

Acadia ( ) posted Thu, 20 December 2007 at 9:32 PM

Quote - Hi Acadia

thanks for what you have shared.

i keep thinking about that there is something wrong with me.

you said:

"I put together an essay of information that I wish I had available to me back when I first started."

is that available?

Here you go :)

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showthread.php?message_id=3126522&ebot_calc_page#message_3126522

drifterlee ( ) posted Thu, 20 December 2007 at 11:22 PM

I am just thrilled with my new 24" flat screen LCD monitor! I would not want that many screens for Poser because I like to have room on my desk for books, etc. But for gaming, especially Flight Simulator, that's awesome. There is a guy here in Michigan that bought a junked jet, put it in his barn, and put his gaming system in it to really get the feel of flying!  Now that I have an LCD, I could never go back to my 22" CRT huge clunker of a monitor. It weighs about 60 pounds and took over my whole desk. This LCD is light as a feather.

pakled ( ) posted Fri, 21 December 2007 at 7:23 AM

I second that emotion...;) as someone who reclaims said CRTs at work, it do put a strain on the back, and take up a lot of real estate...

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

FrankT ( ) posted Fri, 21 December 2007 at 7:36 AM

best way to reclaim a CRT is with a sledgehammer :) then recycle the bits

My Freebies
Buy stuff on RedBubble

Magic_Man ( ) posted Fri, 21 December 2007 at 5:24 PM · edited Fri, 21 December 2007 at 5:26 PM

😄 thanks for all the kind words of encouragement with walking the path of Poser knowledge - Acadia, you posted that long (but very informative) post in my first thread so thanks again!

stormchaser ( ) posted Fri, 21 December 2007 at 5:34 PM · edited Fri, 21 December 2007 at 5:35 PM

Magic_Man - Love your setup, I wish I could give that flight simulator a go myself. I remember years ago when I first got a PC I bought EF2000, awesome machine to fly. I only had a 15" monitor then but it did the job. Is that Microsoft FS you have there?

Welcome to the addictive Poser world by the way. I do my work on a 32" LCD monitor, it's superb for Poser & Vue work.

estherau ( ) posted Fri, 21 December 2007 at 6:14 PM

Ooh your setup looks great Magic_Man! I think you will have heaps of fun with poser. If you want to know where to get good poser aircraft from just IM me. I have a great collection so I can point you in the right direction. BTW does anyone know if there is a copyright rule against using the flight simulator pics in the renders eg as backgrounds or for a comic panel for example eg a character might beflying in my story and I might want a closeup of the controls for example, or shot of ground or airports etc considering that you buy the flight simulator proggie. Love esther

MY ONLINE COMIC IS NOW LIVE

I aim to update it about once a month.  Oh, and it's free!

MatrixWorkz ( ) posted Fri, 21 December 2007 at 10:54 PM

I dunno if you're a Sci-Fi fan or not, but have you seen this site for Flight Simulator versions of some famous Sci-Fi Space ships?

http://www.pendercrafts.com/

My Freebies

Magic_Man ( ) posted Sat, 22 December 2007 at 9:57 AM

Yep, it's Flight Simulator X.

I haven't seen that sci-fi download site but actually do have a Millenium Falcon from another site that flies pretty well - and very fast...!

SoCalRoberta ( ) posted Sat, 22 December 2007 at 11:40 AM

I am SO jealous!!!How do you even set something like that up? And how do you get poser to split up? And where's the mouse cursor? 4 monitors might be a bit much for me at this time but I have a 2nd monitor that just sitting around. 

dennisharoldsen wrote;
*i keep thinking about that there is something wrong with me.

*Nothing is wrong with you. Poser is just one of those programs, part science and part art. tJust give it a little time, it will come.   I don't know how anyone else learned, but for me it was struggling every time. It took me two weeks figure out how to convinve M3 to wear a pair of pants. He kept running away every time I loaded them in. I almost asked for an exchange at DAZ, I honestly thought they sold me the nudist version. :rolleyes:

Khai ( ) posted Sat, 22 December 2007 at 11:48 AM

here's my setup as it was -

Khai ( ) posted Sat, 22 December 2007 at 11:51 AM

file_396020.jpg

and after a week of work, swapping the bedroom and the office round, ripping out the old bedroom closet, finishing it (it was a bare concrete wall on one side, bare rafters for the ceiling and I kept the shelves... ) then rebuilding my desk into the resulting alcove ....

Khai ( ) posted Sat, 22 December 2007 at 11:52 AM

file_396021.jpg

the shelves and PC's..

All 3 Monitors connect to the Dell (Cerberus) to give me a nice desktop..the left hand monitor is also on a KVM which switches to Delenn (the PC next to Cerberus) with Merlin our server on the floor underneath.

Magic_Man ( ) posted Sun, 23 December 2007 at 5:32 AM

Good stuff. Spotted a joystick in the first picture so any dabbling in the virtual skies...?

Also, what's the item in the mini tripod on the desk in the first pic, some sort of spotlight?

@SoCalRoberta, it is possible to lose the mouse cursor but a quick wiggle of the mouse and you usually spot it again 😄

EnglishBob ( ) posted Sun, 23 December 2007 at 1:09 PM

file_396070.JPG

Why would you need four monitors for a flight simulator? Oh, I know - your ZX81 is broken. :lol:

Magic_Man ( ) posted Sun, 23 December 2007 at 4:08 PM

I actually remember Psion Flight Simulation, had it for the Spectrum...!

jentron ( ) posted Tue, 25 December 2007 at 10:35 PM

Cool setup Magic_Man, before wine (Linux windows system) got fixed enough to run Poser-7 I was doing aircraft for FlightGear.  The Fi-156 Storch in additional aircraft and some of the c182rg in the base package are my work, as well as an F-4E Phantom II...

Lately I've been spending all my time playing with shaders and the cloth room...

jentRon

cujoe_da_man ( ) posted Wed, 26 December 2007 at 1:46 AM

Quote - Poser 7 over four screens (1 graphics card, Matrox Triple Head 2 Go, 3 x 19", 1 x 24")

How 'bout a GeForce 6800 SLI?  I can add that second card, so does that mean I could run quad screens instead of my standard dual I have now?

Magic_Man ( ) posted Wed, 26 December 2007 at 6:37 AM

Good stuff jentRon. I haven't got a Storch but know it's an interesting aircraft with a lot of history.

UVDan ( ) posted Wed, 26 December 2007 at 11:38 AM
Forum Moderator

**EnglishBob!!  I started fllght simming on a ZX81 with the exact program you show.  That really takes me back.  16k!!  I wish I would have saved my ZX81 and Commoder 64 and Atari.  Also the TRS80 Model II.

Does one need a special video card to do multiple monitor setups?  Can I tell by going into the display settings whether I can do this with mine?**

Free men do not ask permission to bear arms!!

jdcooke ( ) posted Wed, 26 December 2007 at 6:39 PM

hey mon, Check out the "TripleHead2Go" here: http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/gxm/products/th2go/home.php EnglishBob, thanks for the ZX81 pic, brings back memories.

Magic_Man ( ) posted Thu, 27 December 2007 at 6:34 AM · edited Thu, 27 December 2007 at 6:38 AM

16K would have been a luxury for the ZX81, it only had 1K by default, although you could add an expansion module to get 16K.

As for the Triple Head 2 Go, yep, take a look at the link. The box makes itself look like a single monitor to the PC so it connects to just one output, the three monitors then just connect to it. I have the 24" on the other output of the card.

Most graphics cards have two physical outputs (unless you are using an onboard graphics setup) to which you can connect two monitors.

@cujoe_da_man, if you already have a 6800 card and your motherboard will accept another then yes, you could add a second 6800 (or another pcie card for that matter, although keeping it nVidia would be better for driver compatability). Although, if you wanted to make use of the SLI functionality in games then would need to be another 6800. In non SLI mode, yes you'd have four physical outputs to drive four monitors directly.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.