Mon, Sep 9, 7:19 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 09 6:38 am)

Subject: Moving from 6 to 7 help needed

lucasbuckteacher ( ) posted Fri, 21 December 2007 at 7:36 PM · edited Wed, 04 September 2024 at 9:10 PM

I'm upgrading to Poser 7. This is the first upgrade I've done, I was new to 6. How do I transfer content? I tried copying my runtime over, but that makes 7 crash. I have all my directories sorted, so I don't want to have to do that again. Thanks for any tips.

geep ( ) posted Fri, 21 December 2007 at 8:12 PM · edited Fri, 21 December 2007 at 8:19 PM

Attached Link: http://drgeep.com/p5/run/run.htm

file_395965.gif

*(click the image to view full size) (click the link above the image to view the tutorial - **See Page 4**)

Note - This tutorial was done for Poser 5 but it works the same way in Poser 6 and Poser 7.

Hi lucasbuckteacher,

You don't need to move anything.  Just open Poser 7 and in the Library (at the top level) ...
(The top level has the double folder icon and a RED DOT to indicate which Runtime is selected)

Click the plus (+) sign at the bottom of the Library window to "Add Runtime" then
browse to your Poser 6 folder and click on it.

And, that's all there is to it.

cheers,
dr geep
;=]

Remember ... "With Poser, all things are possible, and poseable!"

cheers,

dr geep ... :o]

edited 10/5/2019

lucasbuckteacher ( ) posted Fri, 21 December 2007 at 8:24 PM

Thanks. So in that case, would it be easier if I just made a seperate folder named runtime and started installing everything there? That way my poser 7 directory doesn't get so muddled.

SoCalRoberta ( ) posted Fri, 21 December 2007 at 9:03 PM

file_395968.jpg

Don't install any new content in Poser 7. Set it all up in external Runtimes. It's easier in the long run to keep it organized IMO. 

Create a folder and name it. Just not "runtime", because Runtime will be inside your new folder.  

For example; on my  Drive I have a folder named External Poser Runtimes. Inside that are all of my external runtimes, all organized in a way I find easy to remember the content.  The runtime is inside each of those folders. I just hooked Poser7 up to each of the 13 named folders and browse to the one I want. 

geep ( ) posted Fri, 21 December 2007 at 9:46 PM

Quote - Thanks. So in that case, would it be easier if I just made a seperate folder named runtime and started installing everything there? That way my poser 7 directory doesn't get so muddled.

Hi lucasbuckteacher,

You can do it that way ... but ... keep in mind that everytime you "Add Runtime," Poser will create 10 new folders (see Page 5 in the tutorial) for you inside your new folder. (see Page 8)

Before you add a number of new "Runtimes" outside of the Poser directory, consider making (new)  folders inside the existing Poser 7 Library categories, e.g., Camera, Character, Face, etc.

You might want to consider using the method shown on Page 13 in the tutorial.

I can not try and tell you how to organize your files because, in the end, you need to do what works best for you.

cheers,
dr geep
;=]

cheers,

edited 10/5/2019

compiler ( ) posted Sat, 22 December 2007 at 4:41 AM

After spending some time modding an RTS game, I am considering coming back to Poser.
I'll install Poser7 soon and I'd have one question :

Has Poser 7 the same problem with injections as Poser 5 had ?
I mean, in Poser 5, even if you had set up external runtimes, you would need to add all the injection files in the original Poser5 runtime or they would not work.
Is it still the same in Poser 7 ?

Thanks in advance for your answer.

geep ( ) posted Sat, 22 December 2007 at 6:59 AM · edited Sat, 22 December 2007 at 7:00 AM

Hi compiler,

Sorry, I do not know the answer to this one because I do not allow any of my Poser models to use injections.  Drugs are stricktly forbidden.  However, they have been known to smoke a little "wacky world" from time-to-time. ... ;=]

cheers,
dr geep
;=]

cheers,

edited 10/5/2019

SoCalRoberta ( ) posted Sat, 22 December 2007 at 10:49 AM · edited Sat, 22 December 2007 at 10:51 AM

complier, are you talking about the folders that hold the delta v's and custom morphs? The ones that extract into the library folder but not the pose folder? If so, the only figure that I had to put  the injection file into Poser 7 was V4. (And that's a V4 issue) All the rest are in the external runtime folder and all work fine :)

compiler ( ) posted Sun, 23 December 2007 at 12:28 PM

Thanks for the answer. 
Yes, I meant the delta files. Sorry for not being acurate.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.