Thu, Sep 19, 10:50 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 9:52 pm)

Subject: How big is your runtime folder ?....

theconqueror ( ) posted Mon, 31 December 2007 at 7:21 AM · edited Thu, 19 September 2024 at 10:49 PM

I wonder the capacity of the runtime folder in POSER 7.....
Whats the limit before it gets corrupt....
When it will begin to tell  :   "I can not find xxxx because you load too much stuff to me ... idiot  beginner" .....    :-)

nruddock ( ) posted Mon, 31 December 2007 at 7:41 AM

No limit other than a practical one, which is too much stuff in a single Runtime makes for slow and painful navigation.

DigitalDreamer ( ) posted Mon, 31 December 2007 at 8:18 AM

9.8 gig of external runtimes plus 3.4 of Poser 7 Runtime. Didn't realise I had so much.... need to sprng clean as there's stuff there I'll never use/have never used!

EnglishBob ( ) posted Mon, 31 December 2007 at 9:10 AM

I'm happily using a single runtime of 18.5GB (and counting). The trick is, I rarely use the library palette - although the runtime is linked in to Poser, it isn't the default one. Poser opens with its original runtime fresh from the install selected. I use the PoserPython feature to load things from my "real" runtime via P3dO Explorer.

momodot ( ) posted Mon, 31 December 2007 at 9:15 AM

Poser often can't find stuff even in "deep" search and I check and the path is good and I can navigate to the textures in two or three clicks... Problem is that since folder names are not always obvious I have to search for the texture using 2xplorer.

I can't figure out the source of the problem. I have tried both relative and absolute paths. Right now all my textures and geometries are in the main runtime with the .cr2, pp2, pz2 in seperate runtimes by catagory since this seems to work best but how Poser can't find stuff in my runtime drives me nuts, this is true even for when the pose calling the texture are both in the main runtime. I am actually considering consolodating everything back in one huge runtime but I have more than 10G of stuff going back to before Y2K and I can't stand the idea of re-installing from scratch. I don't know what to do. 

I do need to do a cull and get things I don't use out of runtime but it is hard to do.

What is Poser doing when you open a library the first time anyway that cause the lag? The reason I have the seperate runtimes is they open much faster. I remeber that with Poser 4 I really sped things up by deleting the Mac I/O file... is there something like that to speed up P7?

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Mon, 31 December 2007 at 10:50 AM

the biggest one I heard about this month was 35 GB (OS X user).

SamTherapy ( ) posted Mon, 31 December 2007 at 12:08 PM

46.3 GB, single internal Runtime.  Runs with no problems.

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

Conniekat8 ( ) posted Mon, 31 December 2007 at 1:10 PM

Quote - I wonder the capacity of the runtime folder in POSER 7.....
Whats the limit before it gets corrupt....
When it will begin to tell  :   "I can not find xxxx because you load too much stuff to me ... idiot  beginner" .....    :-)

Your patence and hard drive space is the limit.  At some point you end up waiting 5-10 minutes for Poser to open, because it's reading through all the files in runtime.
At this point people use the idle time to learn more about multiple runtimes ;)

Hi, my namez: "NO, Bad Kitteh, NO!"  Whaz yurs?
BadKittehCo Store  BadKittehCo Freebies and product support

Acadia ( ) posted Mon, 31 December 2007 at 1:27 PM

Too big!  Actually, I use external runtimes and have about 50 or so of them. I think my largest is about 8 gigs compressed (using Poser compress files). But all of them combined? Probably 25 gigs or more.

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

Porthos ( ) posted Mon, 31 December 2007 at 2:19 PM

External runtimes  32.8 Gigs, Poser 7 Runtime, 5.7 Gigs.

MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
Intel Core i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 12.0GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 7770

PoserPro 2012 (SR1) - Units: Metres , Corel PSP X4 and PSE 9

SAMS3D ( ) posted Mon, 31 December 2007 at 4:22 PM

LOL....which one...I have 5 runtimes, all loaded.....need to organize.  Sharen

SoCalRoberta ( ) posted Mon, 31 December 2007 at 4:31 PM

Nothing in Poser 7 other than the stuff I need to load V4.1. I have 11 external Runtimes, and even after ruthless pruning they still total over 100 GB.

pakled ( ) posted Mon, 31 December 2007 at 5:23 PM

9.91G - not up there with the big boys, but everything is a freebie...;)

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

Acadia ( ) posted Mon, 31 December 2007 at 6:00 PM

Quote - LOL....which one...I have 5 runtimes, all loaded.....need to organize.  Sharen

Ok, I counted my runtimes. I have 52!  Yes "fifty-two",  LOL

I'm thinking of creating #53 and moving some of the props such as buildings/shrines/temples out of the props folder and into their own runtime.

stormchaser ( ) posted Mon, 31 December 2007 at 6:08 PM · edited Mon, 31 December 2007 at 6:08 PM

I have one runtime, 65.4 GB.
The slow loading time at startup is the perfect time to go & make a cuppa, because I'll need it for the long session ahead!

Plutom ( ) posted Mon, 31 December 2007 at 6:10 PM

Hi Acadia, yep you are the expert here!   Like I mentioned in my thread, where are you posting these 52 external runtimes?  Help--Plutom

David.J.Harmon ( ) posted Mon, 31 December 2007 at 6:36 PM

ha how about 120 gb but I have them in catag easer to find stuff

David J Harmon
davidjharmon.com

Acadia ( ) posted Mon, 31 December 2007 at 7:38 PM · edited Mon, 31 December 2007 at 7:45 PM

Quote - Hi Acadia, yep you are the expert here!   Like I mentioned in my thread, where are you posting these 52 external runtimes?  Help--Plutom

haha, not an expert :) I learned about external runtimes in this thread:

http://forum.daz3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=9060&highlight=runtime&flatnum=1

I am very anal when it comes to organizing my computer files, especially Poser ones: largely because of the months of frustration I felt when I first started with Poser and was just "dumping" packages into the main runtime and not being able to find anything.  I tried sub folders in one runtime but while it helped, it wasn't organized enough for me. So that's when I tried external runtimes and never looked back :) I did take it to the extreme though,  LOL

I have a 360 gig partitioned hard drive and have my external runtimes on the large partition (D:Poser Runtimes).  I also keep a copy of them on my Notebook external drive as a backup.

Some examples of my runtimes are:

Aiko  (encompasses character addons and clothing)
Angels & Faeries
Backgrounds & Scenes (like Cyclorama stuff)
Mermaids
V3 Character Addons (any package that has a character addon in it, even if there are clothing in the package. It also contains the base figure and head and body morphs)
V3 Clothing
SP3 Character Addons
SP3 Clothing
*(basically a Character Addon and Clothing Runtime for each Millennium figure M3, David, V4)
*Millennium Kids
Animals
Birds
Halloween
Christmas
Props
Poses
Lights
Materials
Hair
Millennium Baby
Apollo Maximus
Plants & Flowers
Toonimal
Under Water
Vehicles

Each of  those runtimes have sub-folders inside for further organization. For example in the Props runtime.  For the character and Props and Pose folders I have them sub divided into the following !Asian (all fans & umbrellas and anything Asian related)
!Books
!Jewellery (further divided into type IE: necklaces, bracelets, earrings, crowns)
!Buildings & Villages
!Temples & Shrines
!Rocks
!Toys & Games
!Weapons (which is further divided into "archery", "blades"  and "guns"
!Magic & Canes
!Flowers
!Furniture
!Music
!Eye Glasses
!Crosses
!Aboriginal
!Lamps & Candles
!RelectiveSurfaces & Floors
!Party
!Sky Domes
!Vases & Urns & Statues
!Atmospherics (such as water, rain, fog, rainbows, leaves)
!Butterflies

For my Poses Runtime, I have the Pose folder sub divided into "theme" IE: Dance, Couples, Male, Aiko (even though I use these on other figures), Faery, Child, Asian (Geisha), Magic, Pregnancy, Religious, Mermaid, Halloween, Human-Animal interaction (horse and rider), and  Furniture poses.  I also keep my Expressions in the Poses Runtime.  My expressions are sub divided into character they are for IE: V3, V4, Aiko, Millennium Kids, M3 ... for ease of location.

Dajadues ( ) posted Mon, 31 December 2007 at 7:43 PM · edited Mon, 31 December 2007 at 7:47 PM

I down sized mine. I only have 4 external runtimes.

All V3 goes in 1 runtime.
Clothes/Hair/Poses/MATS/Textures

All M3 goes in 1 runtime.
Clothes/Hair/Poses/MATS/Textures

Props 2 Runtimes
Fantasy/Modern

But, that doesn't mean they aren't full to the brim lol.

Acadia ( ) posted Mon, 31 December 2007 at 7:46 PM

Quote - I down sized mine. I only have 4 external runtimes.

Only 4?! I couldn't function!  LOL

David.J.Harmon ( ) posted Mon, 31 December 2007 at 7:46 PM

That is how I have mine divided, for if you put about 100 gig in on runtime you will be pulling your hair out trying to find something. I also use poser files database so I can find what I'm looking for. why put mods in several differnet place, like hair. Just put it one place, and If you need A3 hair you look it up in PFD and it will tell you that you place it in V4 and what sub. that easy.

David J Harmon
davidjharmon.com

David.J.Harmon ( ) posted Mon, 31 December 2007 at 7:48 PM

oh btw I even have Aery Soul in just one runtime, For I use lots of their Mods...

David J Harmon
davidjharmon.com

Dajadues ( ) posted Mon, 31 December 2007 at 7:48 PM · edited Mon, 31 December 2007 at 7:49 PM

**Acadia

**I only have a 30gig drive and it's mainly Poser lmao. :)

I have 1gig each runtime. I had to get rid of a lot of freebies.

Plutom ( ) posted Mon, 31 December 2007 at 9:59 PM

Groan, double groan, I just read a little of the runtime thread at DAZ that Acadia gave us.  Now that puppy is going to take a few days to digest, moving props are easy, I think only one .pp2 file plus a .png.  WELL for me its a start. 

Darboshanski ( ) posted Tue, 01 January 2008 at 9:13 AM

External Runtimes (5 folders) = 8.96GB
Poser 7 Runtime =  2.11GB

I'm a fanatic about not keeping items in my runtimes I don't use. If I do want to use them I just reinstall them from my back ups DVDs, use them for the scenes and then take them out again. I like my Runtimes clean and lean.

My Facebook Page

Dajadues ( ) posted Tue, 01 January 2008 at 11:30 AM · edited Tue, 01 January 2008 at 11:32 AM

I seldom do renders these days. Mostly animation so I just cleaned house with my runtimes and started over and dumped a lot of useless freebies or things that I simply didn't use. I just don't feel the need anymore after years of doing Poser to fill my runtimes with stuff that I'm not interested in, it just wastes space.

My runtime total can equal at least 30gigs. I got backups on CD.

I just don't do alot anymore and I got tired of the long loading times.

With my runtimes cut in half Poser loads much faster for me.

RCT ( ) posted Mon, 28 January 2008 at 12:19 PM

Hi, I've currently got 28 external runtimes, on an external hard drive, arranged as: Aiko3 & Morphs Aiko3 Clothing Animals Buildings Creatures David & Morphs David Clothing DAZ Skeletons Dinosaurs Effects & Poses Freak & Morphs Freak Clothing Furniture & Household Hair M3 & Morphs M3 Clothing Misc Items Nature Other People Other People's Clothing Stephanie & Morphs Stephanie Clothing Tools & Weapons V3 & Morphs V3 Clothing The total is around 25GB. V4/morphs/clothing is in my Poser 7 runtime, which totals 3.16GB. This arrangement has worked fine for me up to now, but I'm about to get a new Mac (a 3.2GHz Mac Pro), and it's time for a little spring cleaning. My new mac will have bags more room and bags more processing power than my current machine, so I'm thinking of moving everything back to the main hard drive (but keeping a back-up on the external). Given V4 has GOT to be in the Poser 7 Runtime, this looks like the way things are moving, and I suspect we can expect to see M4 and other future figures requiring the same. I'm wondering what the future holds, because if everybody does this (not just DAZ) then our Poser runtimes are going to get overcrowded again. Even if I move everything back, I'll still keep it in sub-folders and load as and when I need it, just to speed things up a bit.

Acadia ( ) posted Tue, 29 January 2008 at 10:43 PM

Quote - Given V4 has GOT to be in the Poser 7 Runtime, this looks like the way things are moving, and I suspect we can expect to see M4 and other future figures requiring the same.

They have to be installed there, but you can make a copy of the files installed and put them into your external runtime. That's what I've done.  The only time I access the main poser runtime is for materials which I keep in one place, primatives and Python scripts. 

RCT ( ) posted Wed, 30 January 2008 at 1:20 AM

Quote - They have to be installed there, but you can make a copy of the files installed and put them into your external runtime. That's what I've done.  The only time I access the main poser runtime is for materials which I keep in one place, primatives and Python scripts. 

I don't understand: do you mean you're not actually using the V4 in your Poser runtime, but the copy in your external runtime? If not, I don't see the point of taking up even more space with copies.

RGUS ( ) posted Wed, 30 January 2008 at 1:25 AM

Ummmmm... buggered if I know..... about $30,000NZ dollars... I need a formula for dollars to GB's

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.