Fri, Sep 20, 6:42 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 11:01 pm)

Subject: anime render.... HOW?!

DigitalDreamsDS ( ) posted Fri, 04 January 2008 at 1:27 PM · edited Fri, 20 September 2024 at 6:41 AM

Attached Link: http://www.artandprose.com/digitaldreamsds/

I use DAZ Studio and Poser 6. I have Poser 7 but don't use it. How do I do an Anime style render? Here is a link to what my renders look like right now. http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h107/pbellows/animechick.jpg http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h107/pbellows/animechick3.jpg

Please let me know what I need to do.

cryptojoe ( ) posted Fri, 04 January 2008 at 2:17 PM

Can you find us an example of what it is you are trying to accomplish from one of the galleries here?

Yank My Doodle, It's a Dandy!

SamTherapy ( ) posted Fri, 04 January 2008 at 2:27 PM

TempusFugit does superb cartoon style renders.  I asked him for advice and was pointed to AdamWright, who has several packs of Photoshop actions here in the Marketplace.  Worth taking a look at.  I bought two of his packs and they do the job very well.

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

ghelmer ( ) posted Fri, 04 January 2008 at 2:37 PM · edited Fri, 04 January 2008 at 2:38 PM

For a nice 2D anime look you can get FANTASTIC results with Ockhams Z-Flatten (z-toon) python script in the freestuff here!!  It works amazingly well and gives everything a nice dark cartoony outline and even works while animating!

Of course you can always try the material shaders route but in my opinion the z-toon method looks more authentic and me being as avid an anime watcher as I am (I watch tons of anime Cowboy Bebop & Ergo Proxy are my favorites!! ) I'm more than satisfied with z-tooning!!

Gerard

The GR00VY GH0ULIE!

You are pure, you are snow
We are the useless sluts that they mould
Rock n roll is our epiphany
Culture, alienation, boredom and despair

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Fri, 04 January 2008 at 2:50 PM

wright's stuff is very good for well-composed stills, but not for anime cel-shading nor animation IMVHO. there are some problems with z-toon (snowsultan et al.), but it's good for well-composed stills (not for animations). the toon shaders sold at rdna (or formerly available here free) are also unsuitable for animation, and give mixed results for stills. my suggestion would be to get it as good as it gets in poser 7, then redraw the entire toon in cs3 to make it look like an human did it.

Freakachu ( ) posted Fri, 04 January 2008 at 10:39 PM · edited Fri, 04 January 2008 at 10:44 PM

Quote - I use DAZ Studio and Poser 6. I have Poser 7 but don't use it.
How do I do an Anime style render? Here is a link to what my renders look like right now.
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h107/pbellows/animechick.jpg
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h107/pbellows/animechick3.jpg

Please let me know what I need to do.

The problem with Poser is that the images never quite look flat.  The problem with z-tooning is that the characters seem to lose more detail than I'd like.  I've been working with photoshop actions for awhile and have come up with a flat look that I like without posterizing the image.

This is a really rough and dirty animated version of the process, and I don't know if this suits your needs.  You might be able to customize the process to do what you want it to if it's close to what you're looking for. 

wolf359 ( ) posted Fri, 04 January 2008 at 10:54 PM

Attached Link: The threat

................![](../../mod/forumpro/art/emoticons/biggrin.gif)

My website

YouTube Channel

wolf359 ( ) posted Fri, 04 January 2008 at 10:56 PM

Attached Link: The assasination

.........................![](../../mod/forumpro/art/emoticons/crying.gif)

My website

YouTube Channel

ghelmer ( ) posted Sat, 05 January 2008 at 12:52 AM · edited Sat, 05 January 2008 at 12:53 AM

Those are nice looking animations wolf!!!  But MY problem with them is they still look 3D if ya know what I mean???  That was the problem with Appleseed...  though they had the cel shading going on it still looked way too 3D to be anything but 3D!!!  I like the z-toon method because you can use it very effectively in animation while still maintaining a very anime look and style of cinematography...  I mean the long shots of minimal movement and the quick edit to another "action" type pose simulating action/movement that so much of all the anime's are famous for...  I personally love the long dramatic shot with only a blink or two and that's that for the animation in a scene!!!  Don't get me wrong...  I'm not slamming anime at all!!  I'm a huge anime fan (video games too...  DANG!!  It's so not a wonder that I'm finding myself single again!!!  At least I don't L.A.R.P. or cosplay!!! LOLZ!!)

Gerard

The GR00VY GH0ULIE!

Anniebel ( ) posted Sat, 05 January 2008 at 2:06 AM

I used snowsulton tut with 4blueeye lights to do this render Xin Xin, with some slight modifications.

I rendered as described in Poser7..

Then in PSP I used Flybynights technique here - I played with the filter setting to get the effect I wanted. I overlayed the original on the result & turned down the opacity to bring back the shading a little. Then manually added the lines.

The best & most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen nor touched... but felt in the heart.

Helen Keller

My Gallery                       My Freebies                        My Store

Whatthe ( ) posted Sat, 05 January 2008 at 2:12 AM

That is stunning work Anniebel

Anniebel ( ) posted Sat, 05 January 2008 at 2:15 AM

Quote - That is stunning work Anniebel

Thank you.

The best & most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen nor touched... but felt in the heart.

Helen Keller

ghelmer ( ) posted Sat, 05 January 2008 at 2:30 AM · edited Sat, 05 January 2008 at 2:31 AM

file_396860.jpg

I just quickly whipped this up...  doesn't look as good as Anniebel's but  I only spent a few minutes on it...  sorry!!  I've noticed in most "realistic" animes the backgrounds seem to have an almost watercolor feel to them so I just took a pic and used the watercolor filter (in photoshop) on it and slapped my z-tooned render over top and then used the diffused light filter on the whole thing...   not the best example but gives you the idea...  I'm just too darned tired to go full bore on it!!!  ![](../../mod/forumpro/art/emoticons/sleep.gif)

Gerard

The GR00VY GH0ULIE!

wolf359 ( ) posted Sat, 05 January 2008 at 10:05 AM

file_396878.jpg

The Biggest Mistakes poser users make when trying to create a "cell" Styled renders is to take complex models with complex bitmap textures & trans maps and lighting setups and convert them into cartoon style renders  as is.

frankly for cell render the textures especially need to be very basic
for example this is the Old Zygote "Stylized businessman'
he has basic flat flesh colored skin and basic flat colors on his clothing
he therefore  "cell shades" very well in Cinema4D toon render.

My website

YouTube Channel

wolf359 ( ) posted Sat, 05 January 2008 at 10:05 AM

file_396879.jpg

Now here we have the Dystopian Drone Trooper I replaced ALL of his original complex bitmap textures with simple blue and gold colors which gives him more of cell look when toon rendered in C4D. 

My website

YouTube Channel

wolf359 ( ) posted Sat, 05 January 2008 at 10:16 AM · edited Sat, 05 January 2008 at 10:16 AM

file_396880.jpg

Now in the Rare&unusual exception of Sanctumart His very complex textures ,for the most part translate quite well in a cell render and looks alot like the Ghost in the shell 2nd GIG style.

My website

YouTube Channel

DigitalDreamsDS ( ) posted Mon, 07 January 2008 at 12:32 PM

Wow all this info is awesome. I REALLY like Anniebel's render. That is pretty much what I want to acheive. I have been playing Zflatten but a lot of detail is lost in it. I'll play around with it more. Here is a link to a render I did a long time ago (3-4 months ago) and I think it turned out ok... I just can't remember how I did it lol. I think I had poser 7 installed at that time.

I want to try what Anniebel did on her render.. Thanks Annibel!

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h107/pbellows/Untitled3.jpg

Anniebel ( ) posted Mon, 07 January 2008 at 3:16 PM

That looks great

Helen Keller

DigitalDreamsDS ( ) posted Mon, 07 January 2008 at 4:36 PM

That was done a while ago... I don't remember what I did lol

Anniebel ( ) posted Tue, 08 January 2008 at 1:30 AM

Actually I have been thinking about it, & I think was mistaken.

The above technique was for another render, for Xin Xin, I think I used the method described by Bagginsbill HERE

I still rendered twice, once normally using the lights described & the 2nd using the techqiue above. then I layers the normal over the cell to get a little shading, then added the outline.

Helen Keller

estherau ( ) posted Tue, 08 January 2008 at 2:11 AM

Attached Link: ART MATERIALS

file_397113.jpg

I use olivier's toon shaders from rdna, with shaderworks that can toon a whole scene in a few clicks, also at rdna by semidieu love esther

MY ONLINE COMIC IS NOW LIVE

I aim to update it about once a month.  Oh, and it's free!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.