Sun, Oct 6, 1:22 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 06 11:30 am)

Subject: HELP! Runtime folders vanished!

Insom_Nia ( ) posted Sat, 05 January 2008 at 12:49 PM · edited Fri, 26 July 2024 at 6:55 AM

Please help,

after working awhile now with Poser (6, 7) Geometries etc. grew quite big as most of you
will know too.
Now because of an maintenance problem I re-installed Poser 7 minimal and discovered that only the Textures folder seems the same, the Geometries and all Libraries folder are now nearly empty.
I have no idea where to all these Gigabytes vanished (they are not in the bin).

Did I have now lost all? And if so WHY??? What happened with all these custom files  who normally don't get touched?

Any help would be greaty appreciated!

Thank you

BeyondVR ( ) posted Sat, 05 January 2008 at 3:57 PM

I don't have P7, but I'm pretty sure I've read that's what it does.  Wipes everything, unlike older versions.  You need to back-up your runtime first.

John

Insom_Nia ( ) posted Sat, 05 January 2008 at 4:29 PM

Oh god!  :crying:
Bad news but thanks nonetheless...

Morgano ( ) posted Sat, 05 January 2008 at 4:46 PM

I don't see how re-installing could actually wipe the content (or why it would do it in some cases, but not others).   If it had been deleted, you ought to find something in the re-cycle bin, although it would be only a small subset of the total.   Have a good look at the directory structure, in case you have a complete Geometries folder, for instance, inside your new Geometries folder.

Poser can also lose pointers to external libraries, but that doesn't erase the contents;  it is just a question of setting the pointers up again.

Insom_Nia ( ) posted Sat, 05 January 2008 at 4:56 PM · edited Sat, 05 January 2008 at 4:57 PM

No....nothing in the recycle bin, no double folders, no warning...nothing! Wiped out!
I used now an undeleter which did find most of the lost files, maybe 75 percent...

The external runtimes are fully intact....but without the needed geometries not really usefull..
oh well. :unsure:

bopperthijs ( ) posted Sat, 05 January 2008 at 5:11 PM · edited Sat, 05 January 2008 at 5:12 PM

The same thing happened to me the first time I uninstalled Poser7, without any warning it deleted the complete runtime including my own made content. I got extremely mad about and complained about at E-frontier support. I believed they fixed it in the latest service releases but I won't bet on that and backup my runtime first the next time, undeleter did recover for me also some things, but not everything, especially the big files ( my own characters!)

Sorry for your loss, I know how it feels.

Best regards,

Bopperthijs

-How can you improve things when you don't make mistakes?

Insom_Nia ( ) posted Sat, 05 January 2008 at 5:17 PM

I have Poser 7 Service Pack 2 so it seems they didn't fix it.

Thank you for your wishes!

Acadia ( ) posted Sat, 05 January 2008 at 5:33 PM · edited Sat, 05 January 2008 at 5:34 PM

Another reason to use external multiple runtimes (or even one external runtime).  The only things I add to the Poser 6 runtime folder are python scripts (but I keep a backup of that on another hard drive too), and materials (but I also keep a backup of those  too)

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

infinity10 ( ) posted Sat, 05 January 2008 at 8:36 PM

Yes, Poser 7 will remove all runtimes under it, if you uninstall.  I seem to have had that experience before.  Thankfully, I had a backup of my runtime's installed content and projects-in-progress.

Eternal Hobbyist

Morgano ( ) posted Sat, 05 January 2008 at 9:14 PM

But why the difference between what happened to Geometries and what happened to Textures?

Insom_Nia ( ) posted Sat, 05 January 2008 at 9:27 PM

No difference sadly....on the first glance the whole directory was still there but empty...no files...all gone...

drifterlee ( ) posted Sun, 06 January 2008 at 5:47 PM

I save all my runtimes to an external hard drive because I have lost so much data to PC crashes and viruses. If you ever have to reinstall P7, rename your main runtime oldruntime and Poser can't delete it. Then reimport it as an external runtime.

Morgano ( ) posted Sun, 06 January 2008 at 7:33 PM

Acadia:   *Another reason to use external multiple runtimes (or even one external runtime).  The only things I add to the Poser 6 runtime folder are python scripts (but I keep a backup of that on another hard drive too), and materials (but I also keep a backup of those  too)

*infinity10:  *Yes, Poser 7 will remove all runtimes under it, if you uninstall.  I seem to have had that experience before.  Thankfully, I had a backup of my runtime's installed content and projects-in-progress.

*External runtimes won't help, then - only ones entirely backed up to where a new Poser (re-)installation can't find them?

FrankT ( ) posted Sun, 06 January 2008 at 7:40 PM

It only clobbers runtimes under the poser 7 program folder so if you keep your external runtimes outside that, it won't touch them

My Freebies
Buy stuff on RedBubble

Acadia ( ) posted Sun, 06 January 2008 at 8:21 PM · edited Sun, 06 January 2008 at 8:22 PM

Quote - Acadia:   *Another reason to use external multiple runtimes (or even one external runtime).  The only things I add to the Poser 6 runtime folder are python scripts (but I keep a backup of that on another hard drive too), and materials (but I also keep a backup of those  too)
*External runtimes won't help, then - only ones entirely backed up to where a new Poser (re-)installation can't find them?

I keep a copy of my python folder on another hard drive. Each time I add something to the python folder, I resave the python folder to my spare hard drive. That way if something happens, I just have to paste in a copy of my backup.

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.