Tue, Oct 22, 5:26 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Challenge Arena

Welcome to the Challenge Arena Forum

Forum Moderators: Deenamic

Challenge Arena F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 22 3:31 am)

Welcome to the

Challenge Arena

This forum is dedicated to learning, creating and pushing yourself to meet the
challenges that have been posted by other members of Renderosity.

Hope to see you here!

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: January Challenge : SYMMETRY

gunsan ( ) posted Mon, 07 January 2008 at 4:52 AM · edited Tue, 22 October 2024 at 5:26 AM

Hi all!

Thanks for voting! 
Have been pondering a while but my head has been blank, but just came up with something I myself would like to play with

SYMMETRY

Symmetry in every sense you can think.
Have not thought of so many possibilities, but I am sure you will!!

Let's start creating!!!

Gun

gunsan ( ) posted Mon, 07 January 2008 at 5:33 AM

Oh Viv, I misspelled the title, and now it is to late to edit. Can you do anything about it??

Gun

gunsan ( ) posted Mon, 07 January 2008 at 10:16 AM · edited Mon, 07 January 2008 at 2:07 PM

file_397057.jpg

I start it up myself with an old one from my gallery, to show that the symmetry can be not exact, you can be very free with the symmetry. "The darker twin"

Hugs - Gun

TwoPynts ( ) posted Mon, 07 January 2008 at 10:52 AM

file_397062.jpg

Nice image Gun and a great theme. I fixed the title for you. Here's my first entry, "**TRACKS**".

Kort Kramer - Kramer Kreations

gunsan ( ) posted Mon, 07 January 2008 at 11:00 AM

Thanks Kort!
Nice image from you.

TwoPynts ( ) posted Mon, 07 January 2008 at 11:05 AM

Thanks Gun. Like you, I wanted to emphasize symmetry, yet not perfect symmetry. The tracks are fairly symmetrical, but the ties on the right are older, the the difference in the other elements create a nice contrast to the unifority of the tracks.

gunsan ( ) posted Mon, 07 January 2008 at 2:51 PM

file_397076.jpg

Already one more: Twins

TwoPynts ( ) posted Mon, 07 January 2008 at 2:54 PM

Ahhh, that's nice...

Fred255 ( ) posted Mon, 07 January 2008 at 6:39 PM

file_397090.jpg

Beach looking towards Saltburn

ecurb - The Devil

gunsan ( ) posted Tue, 08 January 2008 at 12:56 AM

file_397107.jpg

This was fun. I have not played with symmertry very much before, so it is new to me LOL Here is "Fractal symmetry"

Denger ( ) posted Tue, 08 January 2008 at 11:31 AM

**What a great theme for the January Challenge, Gun!  😄

Concepts are the playthings of an active intellect.

gunsan ( ) posted Tue, 08 January 2008 at 12:20 PM

Thanks Carl always nice to get recognition from space 😄

gunsan ( ) posted Tue, 08 January 2008 at 4:11 PM

file_397131.jpg

LOL. sorry if I occupy too much space. They just come.....

Call this "Mandala", it is Apophysis

babuci ( ) posted Tue, 08 January 2008 at 4:33 PM

@Gun, they wonderful and very interesting, keep post them ( please)
@Kort, that track is just  going and going...
@Fred, nice form with a mirrored foamy water.

I have to give it a miss,unless it is allowed to use older shots, ( taken before a challenge started) my camera in trouble and I have only one at a moment. Hope will be fixed for a next challenge.

seeyus  Tunde

koosievantutte ( ) posted Tue, 08 January 2008 at 4:36 PM

great images here - it makes me wanting to start soon!

"The light at the end of the tunnel may be an oncoming train"

gunsan ( ) posted Tue, 08 January 2008 at 10:23 PM

Tunde, of course you can use whatever photo you want. my first one was one already posted in my gallery. The rules are not so strict in these monthly challenges.

Denger ( ) posted Wed, 09 January 2008 at 7:57 AM

**Wow, some beautiful enties thus far... Kort, what a great shot of the TRACKS, and Gun, that Mandala has a wonderful combination of radial and bilateral symmetry, and tres cool colors! **

Concepts are the playthings of an active intellect.

babuci ( ) posted Wed, 09 January 2008 at 5:31 PM

file_397215.jpg

Here is my first entry. Titled: Free spirit. ( attentionaly blurred image mirrored for a fun)

seeya  Tunde

gunsan ( ) posted Wed, 09 January 2008 at 9:08 PM

A good one Tunde!

Koosie, just let you be inspired!

Carl,, thanks, glad you like my Mandala!

gunsan ( ) posted Thu, 10 January 2008 at 12:30 PM · edited Thu, 10 January 2008 at 12:32 PM

file_397275.jpg

Here is another Apophysis. I am a little fascinated by the new betas.  This is symmetry, byt not exact.

Please zoom in!

Robin9058 ( ) posted Sun, 20 January 2008 at 4:39 PM

Attached Link: The New Year

This is looking at my New Year. 

If it isn't broken, don't fix it. 

http://www.fractalartnest.com 

babuci ( ) posted Sun, 20 January 2008 at 5:07 PM

file_398110.jpg

@Gunsan,  that work of yours if full of symmetry instead of just one main element. 

My second picture.  Titled: Hands

seeya  Tunde

hauksdottir ( ) posted Mon, 21 January 2008 at 8:06 PM

Attached Link: Snowflake - Cirrus

file_398195.jpg

When I think of SYMMETRY, my first thoughts are of snowflakes, growing outward crystal by crystalline limb. 

OK, I probably have a reputation for drifts of them following me around.  A few years back I gave a bunch to people who had commented in a thread in this Forum.  And the last 2 years I've given out packages of them for the FaerieWylde 13 Days of Solstice.  If you want those packages, just email me.

I need to get back to doing cut-paper flakes again.  Those aren't perfectly regular, but they're charming.

Meanwhile, here is a flake in a spiffy new texture.

The full-sized version is in the Gallery.  Hmm... need a thumbnail.  It has been too long since I've added images to the Gallery. sigh

gunsan ( ) posted Mon, 21 January 2008 at 9:11 PM

Very beautiful!!

alhak ( ) posted Wed, 23 January 2008 at 9:34 PM

file_398371.jpg

Ok here's mine try...photo taken at Lawn Hill National Park Gorge....

gunsan ( ) posted Thu, 24 January 2008 at 10:58 PM

file_398411.jpg

Beautiful view Sue!

Here is my  last one: "SUNSET"

tresamie ( ) posted Tue, 29 January 2008 at 6:19 PM

There are some really great entries here!  I will be closing the challenge on Thursday, Jan. 31 at 23:59 Renderosity time unless someone needs another day to finish a render. 

Please post any final entries!

~Viv

Fractals will always amaze me!

hauksdottir ( ) posted Thu, 31 January 2008 at 8:20 AM · edited Thu, 31 January 2008 at 8:20 AM

Attached Link: wheeling horses

file_398906.jpg

I wanted to animate this (technically it would be kinematics rather than animation), but couldn't find the animation gallery that would allow such things... needed to check size limits.  I *thought* we had an animation gallery.  Anyway, it is an older image, made with Poser 4 and a single spotlight.  It would have been amusing to see what the modern lights would have been able to do with it. 

You'll just have to imagine them wheeling around like a carousel with the dual movement.  Symmetrically, of course.

The full image is in my gallery.

gunsan ( ) posted Thu, 31 January 2008 at 9:00 AM

file_398908.jpg

"RED"

One more for the last day of the month. Apophysis again

Gun

tresamie ( ) posted Fri, 01 February 2008 at 12:16 PM

It looks like winter is a slow time.  Still, we have some great images from a variety of backgrounds.  It's now time to close the entries and let the voting begin!  The voting will be in this thread, after this entry.  You get to choose your 3 favorite entries, giving each of them 3, 2 or 1 points.  Remember, you are choosing an entry, not an artist.  If someone has posted more than one entry, you need to indicate which is your choice. 

Your vote should look something like this:

Double - "Vision" - 3 points
Twin - "Twin" - 2 points
Super - "Impose" - 1 point

Feel free to nominate Honorable Mentions or make comments.

~Viv

babuci ( ) posted Sun, 03 February 2008 at 4:51 PM

So few of us....hmmm

Gun - Red - 3point

hauksdottir - Snowflake - 2 point

Gun - Sunset - 1 point

I have to mention alhak's reflection is a realy nice one.

seeya  Tunde**

TwoPynts ( ) posted Mon, 04 February 2008 at 2:08 PM

Wonderful entries last month. Twins, Gunsan - 3 Points Sunset, Gunsan- 2 Points Free Spirit, babuci - 1 Point And yes, cudos to alhak too.

koosievantutte ( ) posted Thu, 07 February 2008 at 1:40 AM

sorry, i did not get to take part in this challenge and although it's difficult again, this is my vote:

hauksdottir - snowflakes-cirrus - 3 points
gunsan - sunset - 2 points
babuci - free spirit - 1 point

two pynts' 'tracks' is great for symmetry too. actually i liked all the images and i hope to be part of the next challenge again.

"The light at the end of the tunnel may be an oncoming train"

gunsan ( ) posted Thu, 07 February 2008 at 2:02 AM

My votes

1. Hands by babuci 3p
  2. Snowflakes by hausdottir 2p
  3. Trails by Kort 1p

Gun

hauksdottir ( ) posted Thu, 07 February 2008 at 5:27 AM · edited Thu, 07 February 2008 at 5:29 AM

OK, I got it down to 5, but each has something special going for it.  It might be a small field, but a good one!

Babuci - Free Spirit 3pt. 

Not just for the rich color, but the concept of auras and being more than a physical earth-bound shell.  It is spring, and time to emerge.

Gunsan - Twins 2pt.

There are 17 placements in symmetry, using rotation, translation, mirroring, etc..  I liked the inversion of playing cards, because many of my role-playing characters have secret identities that mirror personas and skills.  This is very confidant work.

Alhak - Gorge 1 pt.

Getting perfect reflections is hard.  It usually involves rising with the sun before the wind or hungry fish get the surface ruffling.  That is a place I'd want to linger.

Special mention to Kort for his railroad Tracks... I like the textural depth.  And kudos to Gunsan for Red... that is amazingly rich and I feel like I could fall into it.

tresamie ( ) posted Thu, 07 February 2008 at 12:52 PM

I want to close the voting tonight and calculate the results so we can open the February Challenge.  Please vote, if you haven't already.  Come back tomorrow for our results, and maybe even the new challenge!

~Viv

alhak ( ) posted Thu, 07 February 2008 at 6:08 PM

hauksdottir - snowflake - 3 points
tunde - free spirit- 2 points
kort - tracks - 1 point

tresamie ( ) posted Fri, 08 February 2008 at 1:02 AM

Well, despite the small turnout, we had lots of terrific images!  I was fascinated by the many ways that symmetry could be represented.  There was a lot of creativity going on.  Thanks to everyone who participated.  I have an idea or two to try to get a little more people coming in next month.

Here's the count:

In sixth place, with 1 point:  alhak's Gorge

In fifth place, with 2 points:  TwoPynts' Tracks

Tied for fourth place, with 3 points:  gunsan's Red and babuci's Hands

Tied for third place, with 5 points:  gunsan's Sunset and gunsan's Twins

In second place, with 7 points:  babuci's Free Spirit

In first place, with 10 points:  hauksdottir's Snowflakes

Great images from everyone!  Congratulations to hauksdottir!  Please choose a challenge topic for February  :)

I am looking forward to seeing the new challenge!

~Viv

hauksdottir ( ) posted Fri, 08 February 2008 at 8:25 AM

Attached Link: February Challenge LINK

Thank you everybody!

I've started a new thread quickly so that we can pounce on it like cats with yarn. :)

I hope that visualizing puns will lighten the winter month and get some involvement from other forums.

Carolly

gunsan ( ) posted Fri, 08 February 2008 at 10:34 AM

Congrats!

Great challenge, but difficult, at least with first sight.

hauksdottir ( ) posted Fri, 08 February 2008 at 8:43 PM

You might discover that puns are like limericks: once you come up with one, the rest tumble out and it's hard to put the lid back on the bottle.

"Brownian motion"... a dancing leprechaun, a junior girl scout, a dessert falling to the floor,....

"Raining cats and dogs"... that dog on the throne at the end of Pirates of the Caribbean was a reigning dog, herding cats with saddles and bridles would be reining cats, arresting dogs for being off-leash and taking them to court would be arraigning dogs,....

Even simple words often have multiple meanings: a hand of cards, hand of applause, hand-over and over-hand, a 15-hand horse, a handsome offer,....

One of the fractal patterns is called "flame", so there is old flame, flaming drunk, flamed out, flames of love, and a whole bunch more puns with burn, fire, coal, ember,....

Photography is also full of punning potential.  Camera means chamber or room.  Film over one's eyes?  Solutions?  Washing and rinsing and bleaching and burning and dodging,....

About this time, you are wondering how I managed to reach my late 50s without being strangled? 
;^)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.