Sat, Sep 21, 12:14 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photography

Welcome to the Photography Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photography F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 12:22 pm)

Subject: Infrared (IR) Photography Thread

TwoPynts ( ) posted Fri, 21 September 2007 at 11:50 AM

I thought I'd share some happy news. An image of mine was chosen for a 2008 Infrared Photography calendar. As far as I know, there have not been any dedicated infrared photo calendars, aside from the one showcasing Simon Marsden's work. I'll be supplying the November image -- Lazy River. river_light_IR.jpg If you want to find out more, you have to join the IRTIST.com website forum to read about it.

Kort Kramer - Kramer Kreations

mrmadmikie ( ) posted Fri, 21 September 2007 at 2:57 PM

Very cool Kort. Congrats.

TwoPynts ( ) posted Fri, 21 September 2007 at 3:00 PM

Thanks Mike. There were a lot of great submissions so I feel fortunate to have an image chosen.

babuci ( ) posted Sat, 22 September 2007 at 4:14 AM

Congrat Kort. Wish I would be able to see the whole calendar. I could not find it on the IR site.

seeya  Tunde

zep_addict ( ) posted Sat, 22 September 2007 at 2:53 PM

Well deserved congratulations are in order. With out a doubt one of your best. What month in the calender are you hoping for?

Jim

TwoPynts ( ) posted Mon, 24 September 2007 at 8:12 AM

Thanks Tunde. If you sign up for it, then this link will work for you: http://lulalake.conforums.com/index.cgi/index.cgi?board=Winners&action=display&num=1190163349 And thank you Jim. I had submitted 3 images...didn't really care which month as long as I got it, but as it stands my image will be November, which from a sales perspective, perhaps people will see that before the holidays and want to buy some of my work. Hahaha, a stretch I know, but one can dream a bit. ;']

babuci ( ) posted Mon, 24 September 2007 at 8:37 PM

Thanx Kort for a link. Cover picture is amazing, realy one of the shot. 

seeya  Tunde

TwoPynts ( ) posted Tue, 04 December 2007 at 12:00 PM

file_394837.jpg

The calendars are now for sale over at irtist.com. I got my free copy and loved it so much I ordered 5 more to give as gifts. ;'] I don't think you need to be a member anymore to gain access to forum. What do you think about this abstrat IR cloud shot? To bland to post in my gallery? I really like the repetitive patterns contrasting with the wispies.

zep_addict ( ) posted Tue, 04 December 2007 at 8:08 PM

Very cool clouds. My wife thinks that I'm crazy when I look at the sky and say out loud "great ir clouds"

TwoPynts ( ) posted Wed, 05 December 2007 at 10:13 AM

LOL, well, aren't you? ;'P I know I am...

TwoPynts ( ) posted Wed, 12 December 2007 at 2:35 PM

Infrared Addicts Six Step program ... 1. Admit you are powerless over Infrared Radiation. You can't control IR, but you can embrace it and covet it. 2. Yield to the temptation to buy new equipment. Filters, software, new full-frame SLRs, you need these things, they need you! 3. Seek out kindred souls. There are more of us out there. They must be found and encouraged in their IR endeavors. 4. Make amends for past errors in the visible spectrum. This is a tough one, but you know you did bad things between 400-700 nanometers. Go back and re-shoot every visible exposure in IR. 5. Spread the word! Put your IR photos into a web gallery, join a forum like this one. Print your images big and display them proudly to the visible spectrum mongers. 6. Make IR a part of your daily life. Carry your camera everywhere, seek out new IR subjects, indulge in an IR chant, breathe...think...dream in IR.

zep_addict ( ) posted Wed, 12 December 2007 at 8:28 PM

Hello, my name is Jim ...... and I'm an ir_addict.

babuci ( ) posted Wed, 12 December 2007 at 9:46 PM

Jim, bring them here and show your picies, we love to see them !

seeya  Tunde

TwoPynts ( ) posted Wed, 09 January 2008 at 9:03 AM

Attached Link: Camera Conversion

Just came across this, it was interesting to follow the process.

mrmadmikie ( ) posted Wed, 09 January 2008 at 9:47 AM

file_397180.jpg

Wish I had found this link when I was converting mine, made the same mistake with taking the the zoom lens apart and breathing the sigh of relief when it still worked.  It also took me 3 or 4 attempts to get all the small ribbon cables connected(3or4 more small heart attacks in between). May try to convert my old Sony using the negative for some laughs, I have thinking about trying some kind of pin-hole lens on it too.  My list is getting very long again.  

My IR light array is a little larger.  The small square is the IR mirror from the camera.

Mike

TwoPynts ( ) posted Wed, 09 January 2008 at 10:01 AM

Attached Link: DIY link from ColdWarTendencies

Glad it all worked out Mike, thanks for sharing. Cool comparison image too.

ColdWarTendencies ( ) posted Thu, 10 January 2008 at 6:39 AM · edited Thu, 10 January 2008 at 6:48 AM

Thanks TwoPynts
I'm to cash strapped to buy a  filter so will be attempting the DiY link in future & post back :)
L8RDAZE <<< I love your Timpelapse shot!

[ www.instructables.com/id/infrared-digital-camera---the-real-way/

Another method involves totally dissassembling the cam seem to give better results!](http://www.instructables.com/id/infrared-digital-camera---the-real-way/)**

ColdWarTendencies ( ) posted Thu, 10 January 2008 at 10:16 AM

Um ok , I guess the DiY thingy sorta works heh heh , Rush job using 3 1/2 floppy film produced the following , Warning bad camera shake & is very dark , Nothing like the Filter results yet :/

Crap IR Attempt

ColdWarTendencies ( ) posted Thu, 10 January 2008 at 12:20 PM

Is this IR ?
I really don''t know hah hah :/

TwoPynts ( ) posted Thu, 10 January 2008 at 2:09 PM

Take a photo in full sun of some foliage. If it is whitish, then it is IR.

mrmadmikie ( ) posted Thu, 10 January 2008 at 3:25 PM

file_397302.jpg

Thanks CWT for the floppy reference, I seem to have discarded all my unexposed processed film.

Taken through 31/2 " floppy slot.
Lower pic auto levels and channel swap...

Sometimes this is IR stuff is too much fun.  

Mike

TwoPynts ( ) posted Thu, 10 January 2008 at 4:12 PM

Nice Mike! Yep, thar be some floppy IR! ;'D

ColdWarTendencies ( ) posted Thu, 10 January 2008 at 4:21 PM

Hah were all cheapskates :p
Ahhh as long as it works , By time I'd decided to try it was getting dark will attempt again tomorrow, Why take through the slot ?
Rip apart the outside casing & you have enough to make 4-6 filters :x 
Gawd I suck
Have fun either way!

mrmadmikie ( ) posted Thu, 10 January 2008 at 5:50 PM

**CWT,
It was more fun that way and I had some important data on that floppy I didnt want to lose. 

ColdWarTendencies ( ) posted Thu, 10 January 2008 at 8:25 PM

Wow these galleries are very impreessive , Must save for a filter , All the best to all you involved in IR!

TwoPynts ( ) posted Fri, 11 January 2008 at 11:32 AM

Thanks CWT. Looking forward to more from you!

TomDart ( ) posted Tue, 15 January 2008 at 7:29 PM · edited Tue, 15 January 2008 at 7:30 PM

file_397771.jpg

Some astute member (sorry don't remember the name) suggested trying the tv remote to see how the IR from that shows on digital cams.  These are the results.  

If I am going to take IR shots, the D70 with the less sophisticated screening will do the best. The D200 shows almost no IR from the remote control source, as it is designed to filter the wavelenths of IR.       Tom.

mrmadmikie ( ) posted Wed, 16 January 2008 at 7:22 AM

The D70 looks very sensitive to me.  Maybe try a pic through the floppy slot like I did above for a quick test for sensitivity if you dont have an IR filter.

Mike

TwoPynts ( ) posted Wed, 16 January 2008 at 3:36 PM

Attached Link: D70 IR test

The floppy test would let you know for sure, but from all I've heard, the D70 is a good candidate for IR. Go have some fun!

TomDart ( ) posted Wed, 16 January 2008 at 5:14 PM

Please point me to the floppy info..I did not find the post this morning.  Thanks. Tom

mrmadmikie ( ) posted Wed, 16 January 2008 at 8:01 PM

Hey Tom,

My experiment was triggered by ColdWarTendencies experiment 11 or 12 posts prior to this one, the pictures in his posts were taken through the 3 1/2 inch floppy film.  On my post all I did was slide the metal cover aside and took the picture through the slot.  I have no idea who came up with it or where to direct you to more info but its easy to try if you still have the floppies around.  Bright sunlight will help.

Mike

TomDart ( ) posted Wed, 16 January 2008 at 8:09 PM

Mike, I sure do have floppies around...threw away the 5 inch ones many years ago but several old 3 1/2's are here. The data is essentially useless on them to me now and a scrafice of a floppy will be worth it.   I am glad I kept the D70..will give it a shot.   Thanks.   Tom.

ColdWarTendencies ( ) posted Thu, 17 January 2008 at 3:25 PM

Floppie disk's just arent working for me , Just gives the photograph a Reddissh tinge , Alright we don't have much sun atm in the Uk but when we do still the same , Strange how MadMikie got to work , ahy well!

TwoPynts ( ) posted Thu, 17 January 2008 at 3:44 PM

If you have Photoshop, bring the image file in there and use auto levels. That should take care of the red tinge and brighten things up.

mrmadmikie ( ) posted Fri, 18 January 2008 at 8:44 AM

I also had my camera set up to custom white balance which also reduces the red.  The white balance reading was taken from sunny green grass through an R72 filter.   I tried to get a few reference pics but we are having a spell of really heavy overcast days also.   Maybe next week...

Hey Tom
I too am down to about 4 or 5 of the small floppies, I knew I should have waited to throw away all that old junk...

TomDart ( ) posted Fri, 18 January 2008 at 5:37 PM

When I get good time and good light I will try the floppie experiment.  Say, is there a particular white balance recommended for IR shots?  Thank for the info.       Tom.

mrmadmikie ( ) posted Mon, 21 January 2008 at 4:47 PM

file_398179.jpg

Tried a few more shots through the floppy slot.  top pic is right out of the camera, middle is with just auto levels applied, bottom is the red/blue channel mixer swap.  This first post is auto white balance.  Note my camera is a Fuji with the IR hot mirror removed.  I did notice that the exposure times are longer through the floppy than through an R72 IR filter.  I was also in the spot meter mode.

mrmadmikie ( ) posted Mon, 21 January 2008 at 4:50 PM · edited Mon, 21 January 2008 at 4:51 PM

file_398180.jpg

This is taken with the Custom White balance referenced to green grass through the floppy slot.

mrmadmikie ( ) posted Mon, 21 January 2008 at 4:54 PM · edited Mon, 21 January 2008 at 4:57 PM

file_398181.jpg

And finally Custom white balance referenced against a blue sky through the floppy slot.

I kinda like how this came out.

Mike

I usually just stick to the green grass white balance, but it looks like I should be trying a sample of many when I am shooting...

TomDart ( ) posted Mon, 21 January 2008 at 5:33 PM

Mike, these vivid examples tell a tale about white balance. Thanks for the postings.     Tom.

TwoPynts ( ) posted Tue, 22 January 2008 at 9:06 AM

I'm with Tom Mike, great examples.

TwoPynts ( ) posted Tue, 22 January 2008 at 11:01 AM

Attached Link: video

YADIY Yet Another Do It Yourself IR how to.

TomDart ( ) posted Tue, 22 January 2008 at 7:21 PM · edited Tue, 22 January 2008 at 7:22 PM

OK, it is night, little light and I have a floppy membrane in front of me. I had no idea these things are so dark. What is it on exposure?  For a filter I am guessing it might be 5 stops or more.

Should have saved one of the old 5inch ones I inherited with my first computer..and it did not have a slot for those. They are big enough to make a small lens filter of sorts.

TwoPynts ( ) posted Thu, 24 January 2008 at 7:40 AM

Attached Link: Costal Optics

Mark Spooner sent me this link, it appears these are lenses that can come UV/IR ready. Worth looking into perhaps if you have a converted DSLR.

mrmadmikie ( ) posted Thu, 24 January 2008 at 5:56 PM

kort, a vicious circle, the camera guys spending a lot of money trying to get rid of all UV and IR and a bunch of other guys spending a lot of money trying to get it back.    I guess I am on the other guys list...

Hey Tom, dont know how many stops it is, only that it is a few more than an IR filter like the R72.  Hope you can capture something to show us.

Mike

TwoPynts ( ) posted Fri, 25 January 2008 at 10:13 AM

BTW, didn't realize those lenses are around $4,500. Yikes. Still wish they would produce an inexpensive IR P&S. I think it would sell like hotcakes. You can't find a Fuji IS 1 hardly anywhere!

L8RDAZE ( ) posted Sun, 27 January 2008 at 5:46 PM

Dog Day Afternoon
  Captured this past summer in Cape May New Jersey with my modded G6.  Created a custom action to do the color swap and other tweaks in PhotoShop.

TomDart ( ) posted Sun, 27 January 2008 at 9:40 PM

This "dog days" beats Attica all to pieces...thanks.

TwoPynts ( ) posted Mon, 28 January 2008 at 10:39 AM

Cool work Joe! Do you mind sending me the action, I wouldn't mind trying it out myself.

TwoPynts ( ) posted Wed, 30 January 2008 at 7:43 AM

file_398801.jpg

Here is the IR version of my gallery image today. No color adjustments. It is interesting how the windows show more color and variation than in the visible light version. BTW, thanks for the action Joe, I look forward to trying it out! :o)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.