Thu, Oct 3, 1:27 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / 3D Modeling

Welcome to the 3D Modeling Forum

Forum Moderators: Lobo3433

3D Modeling F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 29 9:12 pm)

Freeware 3D Modeling Software Links:
Blender | Trimble Sketchup | Wings 3D | Anim8or | Metasequoia | Clara IO (Browser-based 3d modeler)

Check out the
MarketPlace Wishing Well, as a content creator's resource for your next project.

"What 3D Program Should I buy?" Not one person here can really tell you what's best for you, as everyone has their own taste in workflow. Try the demo or learning edition of the program you're interested in, this is the only way to find out which programs you like.

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Collaborating? Victorian era villages etc...

koosievantutte ( ) posted Thu, 10 January 2008 at 4:06 PM

dv, that's called 'rustic' :lol:

"The light at the end of the tunnel may be an oncoming train"

Conniekat8 ( ) posted Thu, 10 January 2008 at 4:55 PM

Parochial !  :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hi, my namez: "NO, Bad Kitteh, NO!"  Whaz yurs?
BadKittehCo Store  BadKittehCo Freebies and product support

koosievantutte ( ) posted Thu, 10 January 2008 at 5:01 PM

dv - i copied the tut about rendering - thanks a lot.
i will print it and try to get it into my bald head. - i can't read big pieces of info on a computer screen, don't know why, but it does not seem to stick.

Boofy ( ) posted Thu, 10 January 2008 at 6:04 PM

hey! dont pick on the bricks! They have lovely character and charm.....and they will break your ankles if given half a chance :b_scared:

Conniekat8 ( ) posted Thu, 10 January 2008 at 6:09 PM

We pick on them only because we like them :D

Boofy ( ) posted Thu, 10 January 2008 at 11:07 PM

Oh that is allright then! giggle if you thought they were wonky to look at try walking on them! I loved the colours and different directions they went in. Jen

Boofy ( ) posted Thu, 10 January 2008 at 11:18 PM

i am getting a new lappy as I have said, I am looking at a Dell Inspiron 1520
can I ask you lot if these specs seem ok to you as I have no idea....

XP home o/s :woot:
Intel core Duo T7700
15.4 screen
4gb memory
320gb SATA hard Drive
internal 8xdvd+/RW combo 
Nvidia(R)GeForce(TM)8600M GT with 256MB GDDR2 Dedicated Graphics card
Intergrated Stereo
Intel 4965AGN Wireless N Mini card
9 cell Li Ion Batt

I don't know if the graphics card etc will support Wings3d etc? @dv do you have any ideas?

dvlenk6 ( ) posted Thu, 10 January 2008 at 11:42 PM · edited Thu, 10 January 2008 at 11:45 PM

Yeah, that vid card should be fine for Wings; and in fact most, if not all, 3d apps should be fine with it. It isn't a big killer gaming card; but you don't need that, unless you plan on getting into real time GPU rendering.
You only might have trouble with 'heavy' display requirements, with the 256MB, instead of 512MB or 1GB. It should still work, even for those; but will give you more 'lag' in the openGL viewports.

Friends don't let friends use booleans.

Conniekat8 ( ) posted Fri, 11 January 2008 at 12:30 PM

Okay, the staggered planks texture is giving me grief, and noone at FF volunteered to help yet. I'll move on to others, and pencil that one in to revisit later.

koosievantutte ( ) posted Fri, 11 January 2008 at 1:32 PM

back after a full day driving around holland - have to catch up on a lot.

@connie: what is FF?

Conniekat8 ( ) posted Fri, 11 January 2008 at 1:33 PM

Oh, sorry, FF is Filter Forge, that new texture making program I've been using/trying to learn more.

Boofy ( ) posted Fri, 11 January 2008 at 11:13 PM

file_397388.jpg

*You only might have trouble with 'heavy' display requirements, with the 256MB, instead of 512MB or 1GB. It should still work, even for those; but will give you more 'lag' in the openGL viewports. * DV, I am comming from a pentium 600 so I am actually used to **slow**. I make teddybears as my pc thinks about what it is doing next. :b_sleeping:

dvlenk6 ( ) posted Sat, 12 January 2008 at 5:20 AM · edited Sat, 12 January 2008 at 5:21 AM

Well, you'll be pretty shocked by your new laptop then.
It'll be 2 or 3 times faster, at least.

Faery_Light ( ) posted Sat, 12 January 2008 at 7:47 PM

I'm bookmarking this for when I have a little more time to read all of it. Sounds interesting.

Let me introduce you to my multiple personalities. :)
     BluEcho...Faery_Light...Faery_Souls.

koosievantutte ( ) posted Sat, 12 January 2008 at 7:53 PM

thanks, the greater part of it is, i think 😄

Conniekat8 ( ) posted Sat, 12 January 2008 at 7:57 PM

Hey guys! I told BluEcho about this project, in case she has interest in joining us, after she mentioned that she's a big fan of things Victorian.

You can probably see from her store that she's very handy when it comes to texturing. (Making character textures like she does is still a mystery to me)

Boofy ( ) posted Sat, 12 January 2008 at 11:46 PM

Welcome BluEcho, the more the merrier. 

Any input would be wonderful and we do have a lot of fun here. None of us bite so any questions that pop up please feel free to ask.  Jen

FranOnTheEdge ( ) posted Sun, 13 January 2008 at 12:28 PM · edited Sun, 13 January 2008 at 12:33 PM

file_397569.jpg

Getting on a bit further.....

Oh, Hi BlueEcho - welcome indeed.

There's still more to do on the organ itself but I'm looking at the truck, bed, thingie.

Going to do a spoked wheel next - Koosie, any references for how big it should be compared to the organ?

(- the modern one is quite small.)

Measure your mind's height
by the shade it casts.

Robert Browning (Paracelsus)

Fran's Freestuff

http://franontheedge.blogspot.com/

http://www.FranOnTheEdge.com

koosievantutte ( ) posted Sun, 13 January 2008 at 12:34 PM

welcome to blue echo and i love to see the street organ growing, fran.
will make a file of the textures/images i found and send it to you, connie.

Conniekat8 ( ) posted Sun, 13 January 2008 at 1:20 PM

Nice Organ Fran :)

Thank Koosie. I started a little organizing scheme for the textures:

Brick
Metal
Paint and Plaster
Paving
Plant Material (bark, leafs, plant cutouts etc.)
Roofing
Stone (non paving)
Water and Sky
Wood (finished)

koosievantutte ( ) posted Sun, 13 January 2008 at 1:25 PM

i wi8ll make a compilation of the ones i have, including the photos and put them together in a few files - when you need something i will send you the original ones.

koosievantutte ( ) posted Sun, 13 January 2008 at 1:34 PM

file_397584.jpg

something pretty unexpected happened yesterday. when i was a child (very long time ago) around 1950 we got carboard houses at the grocery store - these could be folded and clipped together - you had to put 2 match boxes in them from the underside so that they stood better. these houses were all of famous facades. the scale was clearly ignored for the greater part. i have been searching for them for years but could never find them or anything about them for that matter, but yesterday i finally succeeded! i found someone who has 18 of them and i will get them tuesday evening! i put some of the images on one sheet to show you. maybe my interest in architecture dates from then 😄

FranOnTheEdge ( ) posted Sun, 13 January 2008 at 1:53 PM

file_397599.jpg

Done two possible wheels, one is 8 spoke and one 10 spoke, found an image reference for the ten spoke wheel, so probably that's best. - just need to know relative size now...

Here's my guess for the 8 spoke, not done much work on detailing that one.

by the shade it casts.

Fran's Freestuff

FranOnTheEdge ( ) posted Sun, 13 January 2008 at 1:57 PM

file_397600.jpg

Here's the 10 Spoke wheel: 

More detail on that as I had the image reference for it.

by the shade it casts.

Fran's Freestuff

koosievantutte ( ) posted Sun, 13 January 2008 at 2:04 PM · edited Sun, 13 January 2008 at 2:07 PM

these wheels are always very small - i would gues abt. 50/60 cms - they are actually not higher than the car is from the ground. the wheels were roughly the same radius as the modern ones, they were only made of wood and a steel rim. i will make a drawing of the handle with which it was pushed through the streets. your first image was about right.

the man who cranked the organ was mostly acco9mnpanied by his wife - when the organ had to be moved one of them pushed, the other had bands ove the shoulder and pulled - over the bridges they needed often help from street urchins.

FranOnTheEdge ( ) posted Sun, 13 January 2008 at 2:37 PM · edited Sun, 13 January 2008 at 2:39 PM

file_397604.jpg

Okay, simple enough to re-size ... something like that then?

What about an axel?  (what would it look like? - hub cap? cotter pin?)

Woudn't have had a mud guard would it?

By the way, I'll probably have problems when I get to the figures on the organ - I've never done figures before.  Could we cheat and use Poser people?

by the shade it casts.

Fran's Freestuff

koosievantutte ( ) posted Sun, 13 January 2008 at 3:17 PM · edited Sun, 13 January 2008 at 3:18 PM

file_397606.jpg

here is an image of my barrel cart - this is the type of wheel and axel that is underneath the spokes have to be rather heavy because of the weight they have to carry.the wood rim has to be thicker. - there are also springs for the cart you are drawing because the organ is very heavy. i do not have an image at the moment - will look for one - it is a packet of slightly bent metal strips that get smaller - sorry don't know the english term - have to look that up too.

as for the figures, dv mentioned somewhere a way to do it some time ago - he explained it to boofy - that would be the best way to do it - these figures are in comparison very small so it would look good anyway.

Boofy ( ) posted Sun, 13 January 2008 at 4:46 PM

file_397608.JPG

@Koosie, is this wagon of use for me to do after my stable, or as a ref pic for frans wheel on the organ?

Boofy ( ) posted Sun, 13 January 2008 at 5:05 PM

file_397609.JPG

@dv, took this pic from the airplane window. Is it any good for a ground plane or I can see if I have one with just fields if that is better?

FranOnTheEdge ( ) posted Sun, 13 January 2008 at 6:03 PM

Boofy,

I'm sorry to say that an image like the one you show just isn't possible to use.

Images for textures need to be a clear as possible - no mist - and above all dead straight.

That's why aerial recconnaissance planes had those odd bracket affairs directly under the plane - so that images were totally sharp and straight, with no distortions.

It's also why good images of old weathered roof tiles are so hard to come by - how often are you above a roof?

I would not be able to use such an image in Bryce, Carrara or Cinema - I don't know what program will be used to render all this stuff - but unless there is some deep dark secret about Max or Maya - or whatever it will be - then I very much doubt those will be able to use such images either.  It's a great pity, but there it is.

The same applies to the mistyness - textures need to be clear and sharp so that the detail is good. 

I used to try taking photos through the car window when I first had a decent camera - but that sheet of glass between the camera and the object, ruined every one for all practical purposes.

if a photo of a texture is only very very slightly off the true it is sometimes possible to correct this - but it takes a lot of work, especially for roof tiles and bricks or anything with regular patterning.

I'm sorry Boofy, but I wouldn't want you to keep taking photos that can't be used.

Of course, this is just me, maybe ConnieKat has the sort of program that can cope with that - she's certainly miles better at texturing than I am.

Hopefully she can pop in with her opinion on this thorny matter.

by the shade it casts.

Fran's Freestuff

Conniekat8 ( ) posted Sun, 13 January 2008 at 7:14 PM

*Of course, this is just me, maybe ConnieKat has the sort of program that can cope with that - she's certainly miles better at texturing than I am.

*Yeah, no, it can't really be used a sa texture that I know of.  Possibly it could be used as a reference photo, to get a feel for how things look from up above. Sowwy

dvlenk6 ( ) posted Sun, 13 January 2008 at 7:20 PM · edited Sun, 13 January 2008 at 7:22 PM

Texture map is different than height map. Height maps are displacement maps. Greyscale (you can have colors, but only the RGB intensity information is used). White is highest, black is lowest. That doesn't neccesarily coincide with the coloration of a photograph. Just because is white in a picture doesn't mean that it would be the highest point, if you see what I mean.
You normally have to use a 2d editor to paint over the photograph; if you want to derive a displacement map from a photograph.
I almost always use DEMs for terrains, when I need real world terrain info. That is what a DEM is for. Otherwise I just make them with noise functions and/or paint them.

EDIT - Bryce has a lot of fractals to use for terrains, and of course the terrain brush...

koosievantutte ( ) posted Mon, 14 January 2008 at 1:31 AM

@jen: a cart like that is certainly possible.

as for terrain, as i said before we don't have to worry about that - holland is one of the flattest countries in the world and we are at the moment building on a square of 250x250 metres which is hardly half filled. apart from some bumps in the road we can forget about that. - somewhere in the very first part of the thread in posted a photo of the real town we took as an example.

Boofy ( ) posted Mon, 14 January 2008 at 2:10 AM

It was fun taking the pics so tha is alright. I will keep the cart in mind for when I eventually finish the stable.

koosievantutte ( ) posted Mon, 14 January 2008 at 2:36 AM

it's a nice picture, jen, but most of the time photos from airoplanes and not very sharp, there is almost always some cloud or haziness and, unless you're in a '20s plane, there is always the windows with the scratches.

koosievantutte ( ) posted Mon, 14 January 2008 at 8:45 AM · edited Mon, 14 January 2008 at 8:47 AM

file_397652.jpg

here is an image of a cart, very much used at that time, for anyone who feels like it. i have scaled the image - the original ones are bigger.

koosievantutte ( ) posted Mon, 14 January 2008 at 8:45 AM · edited Mon, 14 January 2008 at 8:47 AM

file_397653.jpg

this is a detail of a wheel

koosievantutte ( ) posted Mon, 14 January 2008 at 8:53 AM

file_397654.JPG

these are the type of springs underneath the carts

koosievantutte ( ) posted Mon, 14 January 2008 at 9:44 AM

file_397655.jpg

here are two kinds of pavement that w2as used. on the left in herringbone structure laid bricks and on the right cobble - i added a small insert for the colour. bricks were used in the be3tter streets - the cobbles were used on quays and on roads with much traffic - they were made out of stone. @ connie: i will send you bigger ones if you need them.

koosievantutte ( ) posted Mon, 14 January 2008 at 9:46 AM · edited Mon, 14 January 2008 at 9:47 AM

file_397656.jpg

this image shows different kind of colours and the ways they were laid. herringbone pattern was the most common way of paving.

Conniekat8 ( ) posted Mon, 14 January 2008 at 12:37 PM

Thakns koosie! Those look a lot like textures I've ben makng!
whew looks like I'm on the right track!

FranOnTheEdge ( ) posted Mon, 14 January 2008 at 1:04 PM

file_397668.JPG

> Quote - here is an image of a cart, very much used at that time, for anyone who feels like it. > i have scaled the image - the original ones are bigger.

Oh yeah, the wheel I made matches that - this is the reference I used:

So if anyone's doing that cart - no need to redo the wheel, I'll send you the one I did.

by the shade it casts.

Fran's Freestuff

FranOnTheEdge ( ) posted Mon, 14 January 2008 at 2:47 PM

file_397674.jpg

I've got two versions of the 10 spoke wheel - one looks more delicate than the other, more like a carriage wheel (textured and plain) - the one closest to the camera, is a heavier type with a larger hub, this one looks more like a cartwheel to me.

by the shade it casts.

Fran's Freestuff

koosievantutte ( ) posted Mon, 14 January 2008 at 3:08 PM

the heavier type is better - the finer one is better for a carriage or coach.
the heavier type is used for carts that carry freight.
very small wheels, like underneatyh the cart that carries the organ are even heavier - a street organ is very heavy.

FranOnTheEdge ( ) posted Mon, 14 January 2008 at 4:42 PM

file_397680.jpg

Thought so, so I've "heavier'ed" the cartwheel one.

It's now the little one on the right.

by the shade it casts.

Fran's Freestuff

Boofy ( ) posted Mon, 14 January 2008 at 7:43 PM

i would like to try the cart after the stable....whatever decade I finish that in. Do you have a pic of the front view? if not I will get some more pics of that one I posted next trip north.

dvlenk6 ( ) posted Mon, 14 January 2008 at 9:00 PM · edited Mon, 14 January 2008 at 9:01 PM

What is a good way to make geometric designs?
Like the wall panels in these pictures:
http://www.greatbuildings.com/buildings/The_Alhambra.html

I need them for displacements.

Boofy ( ) posted Mon, 14 January 2008 at 9:25 PM

Dunno if these will help, I foundthem searching for something else.

http://knotplot.com/

http://knotplot.com/celtic/

Jen

Boofy ( ) posted Mon, 14 January 2008 at 9:34 PM

another source for you to check out. I know it is celtic but it may be able to be adjusted or spawn new ideas??

http://gwydir.demon.co.uk/jo/knots/bw.htm

Jen

Conniekat8 ( ) posted Tue, 15 January 2008 at 12:52 AM

file_397712.jpg

> Quote - What is a good way to make geometric designs? > Like the wall panels in these pictures: > > > I need them for displacements.

I can get you displacement maps of various kaleidoscopic patterns.
Celtic knots and leafs may not be as easy to come by.

How close do they need to be?

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.