Tue, Oct 22, 3:24 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 22 1:40 am)

Subject: RIP Poser 7

johnfields ( ) posted Tue, 15 January 2008 at 5:05 PM · edited Tue, 22 October 2024 at 2:41 AM

My poser 7 crashes every time I try to start it - right after the first screen  it crashes without any notice it just closes- I am trying to re-install but it doesn't look good. Money is tight so it may be a while until you see any  more art from me on this site- BUMMER!!!

Acadia ( ) posted Tue, 15 January 2008 at 5:16 PM · edited Tue, 15 January 2008 at 5:16 PM

Don't you have Poser 5 or 6?

You could always use DAZ|Studio. It's free to download and some have even given up on Poser in favour of DS. it doesn't have all of the bells and whistles that Poser has, but it still does lots.

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

onnetz ( ) posted Tue, 15 January 2008 at 5:22 PM

Sounds like video card issues..... There seems to be a lot of that going around lately..

Handle every stressful situation like a dog.

If you can't eat it or play with it,

just pee on it and walk away. :-)

I wouldnt have to manage my anger

if people would manage their stupidity......

SoulTaker ( ) posted Tue, 15 January 2008 at 5:31 PM · edited Tue, 15 January 2008 at 5:40 PM

did it work before? or has it crashed every time since you installed it?
if it did work. have you changed anything? installed new programs? up dated any drivers?
are any other programs crash on your pc?

champgoof ( ) posted Tue, 15 January 2008 at 5:35 PM

what version of poser do you have? Which windows do you have?Did it work before? Did you change anything after?

Jestertjuuh ( ) posted Tue, 15 January 2008 at 5:42 PM · edited Tue, 15 January 2008 at 5:43 PM

I reed somewhere on the forum that a defrag might help.

Sorry, cant remember the exact thread, but that person had crashes to and solved it with a defrag of the hard drive.

Its worth a try.

I am not a complete idiot, some parts are missing :)

To go to my home page, click the banner below.

Check my freebies on a regular base, click the banner below.

Stepdad ( ) posted Tue, 15 January 2008 at 5:56 PM

Quote - I reed somewhere on the forum that a defrag might help.

Sorry, cant remember the exact thread, but that person had crashes to and solved it with a defrag of the hard drive.

Its worth a try.

Lol. that would have been me, and yes it worked like a charm for me. If that doesn't do the trick let me know, we might be able to find another solution, but in your case I'd recommend you check the harddrive for errors first and then run defrag. 

Jestertjuuh ( ) posted Tue, 15 January 2008 at 6:18 PM

Aha, thats the downside of a forum with so much interesting content.

You know that you did read it somewhere, but cant remember where 😄

I am not a complete idiot, some parts are missing :)

To go to my home page, click the banner below.

Check my freebies on a regular base, click the banner below.

XENOPHONZ ( ) posted Tue, 15 January 2008 at 6:19 PM

With many PC problems -- HD error checks and defrags are usually one of the first things to try.  Perhaps followed by a virus scan, depending.  If that solves it, great -- but if not: then you go foward from there.

Something To Do At 3:00AM 

MartinW ( ) posted Tue, 15 January 2008 at 6:26 PM

FWIW I fixed a few crashing programs on my pc (new desktop, up-to-date drivers, defraged, etc.) by navigating in to the hiden folder "documents and settings[user]application data...", finding the offending program's folder and deleting all configuration data

You might want to make backups before you try it - but this fixed a Hexagon installation that crashed on startup

I.e., "documents and settings[user]application dataeoviahexagon 2" and deleted the complete hierarchy

Hope it helps...M

nruddock ( ) posted Tue, 15 January 2008 at 7:03 PM

What if any error messages are you getting ?
Did you install some Face room data recently ?

johnfields ( ) posted Tue, 15 January 2008 at 7:50 PM

I got it re-loaded =now it is lookong for deleted data and crashes when I cant find it  it is asking for a file called Kpad- no .exe or bmp or .obj - looks like a texture file for a deleted app.- I'll try the defrag tho

johnfields ( ) posted Tue, 15 January 2008 at 8:26 PM

Quote - FWIW I fixed a few crashing programs on my pc (new desktop, up-to-date drivers, defraged, etc.) by navigating in to the hiden folder "documents and settings[user]application data...", finding the offending program's folder and deleting all configuration data

You might want to make backups before you try it - but this fixed a Hexagon installation that crashed on startup

I.e., "documents and settings[user]application dataeoviahexagon 2" and deleted the complete hierarchy

Hope it helps...M

You my friend are a genious! worked like a charm! now I just gotta re-load a crap of stuff - but I was way over due for a clean install anyway

coocooFORcocoapuffs ( ) posted Tue, 15 January 2008 at 10:14 PM

BTW, same procedure for photoshop on crashes, remove all preferences (Alt/Option-Command - Delete). defrag not needed on a mac.

MartinW ( ) posted Wed, 16 January 2008 at 2:22 AM

johnfields: thanks for the compliment but I'm no genius - just a guy who Googles like crazy until I find a solution that works - glad it works for you and happy to pass it on - M

Acadia ( ) posted Wed, 16 January 2008 at 5:35 AM

Do you have the preferences set for  Poser running in "Tablet Mode"?  If so, try turning that off and see if it fixes.  Recently there was another problem with Poser crashing and the solution was to turn off the tablet mode because their new tablet seemed to cause problems with Poser.

Tguyus ( ) posted Wed, 16 January 2008 at 12:45 PM

On some machines, enabling hardware acceleration for the vcard makes P7 crash right at startup.  If your problem persists, and you have hardware acceleration enabled, try turning it off.

TerraMatrix ( ) posted Thu, 17 January 2008 at 2:56 AM

Is there a folder like this for Poser 6? I can't find one. I started having the same problem, Poser starts to load and then right when it's about to open up to the default scene, it crashes to the desktop. I've uninstalled and reinstalled, but it still does it. My last defrag was probably two months ago, and the computer itself has never been hooked up to the net. I've never had an issue with P6 like this before.

wakingdreams ( ) posted Thu, 17 January 2008 at 3:16 AM

I had a very similar problem when I updated my gforce graphics drivers. Basically everytime I would try and load a item, or on the odd chance it did load, try to conform it or move it, the program would crash. 

I have now reverted back to the previous set and everything is fine. I'll wait for the next set to see if it works any better. gotta have my poser workin :)

MartinW ( ) posted Thu, 17 January 2008 at 3:38 AM

TerraMatrix: the folder is normally hidden in Windows Explorer - you will need to go into tools|folder options|view and make visible all hidden folders first. Also, depending on how you installed, the application data folder might be under 'user' or 'fred' or 'administrator' or 'all users' - just check them all until you find the one it's installed into.

Hope this helps...M

AntoniaTiger ( ) posted Thu, 17 January 2008 at 3:53 AM

Graphics drivers can affect a lof of 3D software. My Experience: Windows XP would "update" and load a Microsoft-provided driver for my graphics card. This has only OpenGL v1 support, and most stuff needs OpenGL v2 to run reliably. This hasn't happened recentlym but I also haven't upgraded DirectX lately.

Dizzi ( ) posted Thu, 17 January 2008 at 5:28 AM

Attached Link: Deleting preference files (Poser 7 and earlier)

It's not like the "delete preferences" method isn't listed on e-frontier's site, but nice to see that there are always 100s of new ideas what to do if Poser starts to crash suddenly ;-)

Acadia ( ) posted Thu, 17 January 2008 at 7:04 AM

Glad you have it working! Nothing worse than a computer issue that seems to have no solution and has you jumping through hoops trying to "find" one.

Scarab ( ) posted Fri, 18 January 2008 at 12:42 AM

johnfields, Try this....disable any firewall and antivirus you have before you reinstall. You can turn them back on after you finish. I've seen a number of programs (especially large complex ones like Poser) have similar problems because the virus software didn't like something that was being loaded. Couldn't hurt.... Scarab

Qualien ( ) posted Fri, 18 January 2008 at 7:05 PM

My Story:
I had not visited the Poser forum for months, and today I happened to look in and for some reason read this thread. Then about an hour later my Poser 7 started crashing, not just crashing itself but locking up my whole system requiring a cold reboot.

So I came back here and took the advice above. It worked (I had installed a new monitor recently and apparently the display resolution preferences must have messed up). I had forgotten how helpful you people can be! Thanks to all of the above.

Scarab ( ) posted Fri, 18 January 2008 at 9:52 PM

Out of curiosity, whose advice did you take? S.

Qualien ( ) posted Fri, 18 January 2008 at 10:41 PM

"Out of curiosity, whose advice did you take?"

I found the folder with the Poser preference files and I deleted the files for monitor preferences, presuming those were the culprits since I had just installed a new monitor and driver. So I expect that the Tablet Mode preference was probably deleted too. I probably should defrag my HD too, but deleting the preference files seems to have done the trick.

Scarab ( ) posted Sat, 19 January 2008 at 1:06 AM

Hmmmmmm....I have no idea what you are talking about, so here's a picture of a bunny with a pancake on its head. (imagine a picture of a bunny with a pancake on its head, since I can't find the damn thing.) Low Budget Productions Scarab

rofocale ( ) posted Sat, 19 January 2008 at 1:58 AM

Anyway, why not make it into a habit and defrag once a week...

mamba-negra ( ) posted Mon, 21 January 2008 at 7:54 AM

If degragging a system fixes a problem other than program efficiency, you have something else wrong- and should probably perform a low level scan for hard disk errors.  If you have disk errors, there is a chance your hard disk is sick and could be on the path to hard drive heaven (or hell, if it was really bad:P ) Of course, all disks are born with imperfections, so don't write them off the first time. Just redo the scan a few days later to make sure additional ones didn't creep back in (make sure you told it to "fix errors")

Defragmenting files is kind of like reorganizing your kitchen pantry. You just scoot the cans of green beans together and put them where you expect to find them- it doesn't remove any dents in them:P

mamba-negra ( ) posted Mon, 21 January 2008 at 7:58 AM

I always think it's weird to hear people talk about defragmenting all the time. If your computer has to be defragmented more than a few times in the disk's life, something is probably wrong. It's not magic, it just scoots all the pieces which need to be together...back together. And, they only get split apart when you delete some stuff, and save a really big file that can fit into the space you freed, but only in fragments. If you have stuff that lives only a short period, maybe create a special partition just for those files.

Angelouscuitry ( ) posted Mon, 21 January 2008 at 4:27 PM

Not sure if it was asked, but are you trying the full instatlation, or minimum?

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.