Tue, Sep 24, 1:26 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photoshop

Welcome to the Photoshop Forum

Forum Moderators: Wolfenshire, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photoshop F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 10:49 pm)

Our mission is to provide an open community and unique environment where anyone interested in learning more about Adobe Photoshop can share their experience and knowledge, post their work for review and critique by their peers, and learn new techniques while developing the skills that allow each individual to realize their own unique artistic vision. We do not limit this forum to any style of work, and we strongly encourage people of all levels and interests to participate.

Are you up to the challenge??
Sharpen your Photoshop skill with this monthly challenge...

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Am I missing Something?

drkfetyshnyghts ( ) posted Tue, 15 January 2008 at 1:21 AM · edited Tue, 24 September 2024 at 1:25 PM

I have used extract (I thought) to take out the background of an object.  I assumed this would leave all but the object transparent for me to import/place in an illustrator piece of work.  That is, the object  shape only not the background etc.

Anyway, I did the extract, imported into Illustrator but still get the whole square canvas complete with opaque (white) background which is totally, no good to me at all.  I tried importing, placing and cutting pasting - same result.  I even did it in several formats. PSD JPEG TIFF.....  same result.

I am sure its "me".  Anyone have any pearls of wisdom with which to point this damsel in distress in the right direction?  Oh yes... I'm using CS3 if that makes a diference.

cryptojoe ( ) posted Tue, 15 January 2008 at 4:23 AM · edited Tue, 15 January 2008 at 4:24 AM

file_397719.jpg

Are you trying to get the transparent background in a Photoshop Document, like this?

(if you click on the image you can see the background better)

Yank My Doodle, It's a Dandy!

cryptojoe ( ) posted Tue, 15 January 2008 at 4:26 AM

file_397721.jpg

If so, then you must copy whatever images you are working with, and open a new image file...

...then paste it into the new, unnamed image file.

cryptojoe ( ) posted Tue, 15 January 2008 at 4:30 AM

file_397722.jpg

Then use the drop down menu **SELECT > COLOR RANGE

**This will allow you to crop out the white background.

Hope this helps

drkfetyshnyghts ( ) posted Tue, 15 January 2008 at 5:51 AM

Ok.... I got it to look like your arrow, no problems.  I then copied and pasted into a new document. So I have the object plus background layer.  Do I just leave those layers, merge them, flatten whatever?    And you say i still have to crop the background out with <<select and <<color.

I tried cut and paste into ilustrator but still got the full rectangle with solid white background.

Its me I know I am not doing something I should be doing. I spend too much time in the creative zone and not enough on the technicalities.  Like I know what I want to do just trying to get it done evades me at times. :(

SWAMP ( ) posted Tue, 15 January 2008 at 11:52 AM

In Photoshop saving your file as either a GIF or PNG will preserve the transparency.
Then just “place” that file in Illustrator.

Note: If saving as a GIF (which I prefer), make sure that “Transparency" and "Preserve Exact Colors" are checked.

SWAMP

cryptojoe ( ) posted Tue, 15 January 2008 at 2:53 PM

I don't have illustrator, I thought that as an Adobe product, a *psd file would be handled correctly. 

If you save the file as a JPG or BMP, the background will automatically turn white.

SWAMP ( ) posted Tue, 15 January 2008 at 9:44 PM

“…I thought that as an Adobe product, a *psd file would be handled correctly. “

Well it does…I was just giving a quick and easy answer that works (KISS= Keep it simple SWAMP, or you’ll confuse the crap out of people).
A Psd file with transparency works fine as long as it is not a background layer (layer from background..) or you haven’t merged it with the background, or you delete the background under the current layer, or…..( fades out into endless babbling).

The difference is both GIF and PNG have kind of a “built in” alpha/trans channel/mask (whatever), where a Psd doesn’t.

SWAMP

cryptojoe ( ) posted Wed, 16 January 2008 at 6:22 AM

Ah! I see said the blind carpenter as he picked up his hammer and saw...

...one of these days I'll invest in illustrator and spend time learning it...

drkfetyshnyghts ( ) posted Wed, 16 January 2008 at 6:42 AM

LOL well I'm pleased you guys have sorted it out between yourselves. I'm still missing something. My GIF settings are Compuserve GIF right. But I can see any checkboxed transparency and or preserve axact colours.    Maybe my classroom in a book witl divulge the mysteries....

drkfetyshnyghts ( ) posted Fri, 18 January 2008 at 5:50 AM

OK, an update to this.

The only way I could find to do it was to place the object with transparent background on my background in photoshop.  By doing that I could see that all of your above advice works.  And then bring that work complete with layers into Illustrator for more post-work.

Forgive me... but there MUST be away of bringing those files straight into illustrator.. there just has to be. A question for the Illustrator foorum I guess !!!

Anyways thanks for all your help :)

Drky xxx

thundering1 ( ) posted Fri, 18 January 2008 at 1:10 PM

Not quite sure if it was relayed (skimmed this thread TBH) this way, but when you extract you object, try copying itonto a new layer - a 2 layer PSD with a background and "the object".

Open THIS in Illustrator and drag the top layer (the object) onto the other document in Illustrator - people seem very click-happy with copy/paste but literall just get your Move Tool (black arrow) and you can drag any elements from one doc to another - just drag the top layer over.

Hope this helps-
-Lew ;-)

drkfetyshnyghts ( ) posted Mon, 21 January 2008 at 6:18 AM

Ahh yes.. I am going to try this because I have loads of this stuff to do so many thanks for your feedback.

Drky xxx

Quote - Not quite sure if it was relayed (skimmed this thread TBH) this way, but when you extract you object, try copying itonto a new layer - a 2 layer PSD with a background and "the object".

Open THIS in Illustrator and drag the top layer (the object) onto the other document in Illustrator - people seem very click-happy with copy/paste but literall just get your Move Tool (black arrow) and you can drag any elements from one doc to another - just drag the top layer over.

Hope this helps-
-Lew ;-)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.