Sun, Sep 22, 12:24 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Vue

Welcome to the Vue Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, TheBryster

Vue F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 20 5:40 am)

Subject: Good UK Source For A "Vue" Windows PC. Help Needed!

BigGreenFurryThing ( ) posted Fri, 11 January 2008 at 5:00 AM · edited Sat, 21 September 2024 at 10:28 PM

I'm looking for a new PC specifically for 3D work using Vue Infinite. I thought it would be an easy process as this time round I wanted to buy ready made rather than spend time I don't have on another home brew box.

Having spent the last few days phoning round UK PC suppliers, I am going quietly nuts. I can't get an intelligent response from any supplier I've contacted. As soon as I mention 3D, I get offered "games machines" with all the accompanying and, for me, unwanted flashy bells and whistles.

I'm after Quad Core, 8MB, nVidia GPU, RAID to run Vista 64. Just the unit.

Can anyone save my sanity and recommend a UK supplier for such a "Vue" box, please?

Cheers,
Mark

Cheers,
Mark

andytw ( ) posted Fri, 11 January 2008 at 5:27 AM

A few that are worth looking at imo:

www.cad2.com

www.xworksinteractive.com

www.armari.co.uk

www.scan.co.uk

silverblade33 ( ) posted Fri, 11 January 2008 at 7:53 AM

Hm, well my local PC shop is doing that for me right now, just local folk I know and trust :)

Try local decent PC shops? Here near Glasgow, you could try Priceless.
http://www.pless.co.uk/home.php

Tried askign EBuyer if they assemble systems? :)
http://www.ebuyer.com/

"I'd rather be a Fool who believes in Dragons, Than a King who believes in Nothing!" www.silverblades-suitcase.com
Free tutorials, Vue & Bryce materials, Bryce Skies, models, D&D items, stories.
Tutorials on Poser imports to Vue/Bryce, Postwork, Vue rendering/lighting, etc etc!

thefixer ( ) posted Fri, 11 January 2008 at 9:16 AM

Attached Link: http://computerworld-online.com/

Depends where you are in the UK, I had mine built locally at a place called Computer World [Colwyn Bay], they built it to my spec, very similar to yours! Their labour warranty is lifetime on their built systems. They have a web site but their warranty is RTB, not a problem for me but might be for you!

Quad core Q6600, 8 Gig RAM, 8600GT graphics, 2 x 250 Gig HD's in Raid 1 array.

Link attached!

Injustice will be avenged.
Cofiwch Dryweryn.

qvsrman ( ) posted Fri, 11 January 2008 at 10:22 AM

Attached Link: http://www.meshcomputers.com/

You may wish to check out as well.

BigGreenFurryThing ( ) posted Fri, 11 January 2008 at 2:17 PM

Many thanks to everyone for the responses.

andytw: I've had mixed dealings with Scan in the past. I'll definitely check out the other links on Monday although I wary of sites with no prices.
😉

qvsrman: Mesh have attractive prices but not quite the spec I want. Call me twitchy but two clients were caught out: one with Elonex, the other with Evesham. Anyone remember Multivision? Or Dan?

silverblade33 / thefixer: Pity N. Wales and Scotland are wee bit too far from N. Glos but the suggestion of a local supplier was a good one, no idea why I didn't think of it (too close to the problem?). Just rang a client who had a CAD/CAM workstation built locally last October. Another phone call Monday...

Have a great weekend

Cheers,Mark

Cheers,
Mark

silverblade33 ( ) posted Fri, 11 January 2008 at 3:32 PM

Coo!l hope all goes well :)

just hoping my new system works ok with all my apps, eek!

"I'd rather be a Fool who believes in Dragons, Than a King who believes in Nothing!" www.silverblades-suitcase.com
Tutorials on Poser imports to Vue/Bryce, Postwork, Vue rendering/lighting, etc etc!

BigGreenFurryThing ( ) posted Fri, 11 January 2008 at 4:32 PM

LOL. It's not apps that worry me: Vue, Cinema and CS2 are all OK, in theory. It's the drivers that bother me especially moving "up" from a stable XP Pro install to Vista 64.
Cheers,
Mark

Cheers,
Mark

thefixer ( ) posted Sat, 12 January 2008 at 3:17 AM

Drivers amd such aren't as big a problem as some would have you believe, I'm running Vista Ultimate 64 and as it was hand built they made sure all was ok.
I've updated my Nvidia drivers twice since with no problems and all my apps run fine [Vue6Inf, Poser6, Poser 7 and PS CS3]
Don't believe all the negativity you hear towards Vista, it takes some getting used to that's all because it does some things a bit differently but there are tweaks you can do to make it more like what you're used to!

Cofiwch Dryweryn.

BigGreenFurryThing ( ) posted Sat, 12 January 2008 at 10:53 AM

As a Microsoft Partner I've experienced Vista 32 from the alpha stages. Don't start me on ludicrous changes (more complex networking set up), performance issues (disc access) and missed opportunities (new file system, only signed drivers). The SP1 beta goes some way to improve things (HDD access speeds seem to be better).

On the definite plus side, I recently  a saw a non-techie friend's new Dell Vista Premium box. Really fast on all operations even after his two daughters had stuffed it full of junk, IM software, iTunes, games, etc.

Spent far too long last night researching drivers and software for Vista 64. And you're right, there's not too much to worry about so long as the box stays dedicated to 3D and possibly CS3. Looks like only my flatbed and film scanners are non-starters. Not too sure about my Spyder screen calibration widget yet.

Also calculated the trip to Colwyn Bay. It 's might be worth a day of my time to get a box that definitely works with Vue Infinite.

Cheers,
Mark

BTW who exactly avenges the injustices?

Cheers,
Mark

thefixer ( ) posted Sat, 12 January 2008 at 10:55 AM

*BTW who exactly avenges the injustices?

*ME!

Cofiwch Dryweryn.

stormchaser ( ) posted Thu, 17 January 2008 at 8:21 AM

Only the innocent have nothing to fear! :scared:

thefixer ( ) posted Thu, 17 January 2008 at 9:35 AM

Only the innocent have nothing to fear! 

Depends on my mood at the time!! 

Cofiwch Dryweryn.

silverblade33 ( ) posted Thu, 17 January 2008 at 10:02 AM

well I got my new "uber" mahcine, any tips/help for working with Vista 64 and installing Vue etc? :)

thefixer ( ) posted Fri, 18 January 2008 at 4:36 AM

Vue should install no problem, if you use desktop shortcuts be sure to right click and under properties there is a tick box to run as administartor, make sure it's ticked! The tick box is a recent addition in one of the latest updates to Vista!

make sure you have all the updates from Vista, there are some major improvements to what you might get in the box!
Turn off the UAC if you're comfortable doing that, you'll quickly get fed up of the nag screen each time you want to do even a simple task like moving a folder or something!

Vista takes some getting used to but once you're there, IMO it's a good OS!

Cofiwch Dryweryn.

silverblade33 ( ) posted Fri, 18 January 2008 at 11:24 AM

aye been doing thta, thanks :mate ) 
Also got some tips from uber hardware freaks as well ;)
turned of UAC and another system, so it's going better

I do love the dreamscape video desktop, turn it off for renders, but oh my it's pretty :D

it is soooooo much faster oo load and do stuff on that machine!! wow

thefixer ( ) posted Fri, 18 January 2008 at 11:47 AM

*it is soooooo much faster oo load and do stuff on that machine!!

*Ain't it just!!

Cofiwch Dryweryn.

BigGreenFurryThing ( ) posted Sun, 05 October 2008 at 8:29 AM

A rather belated thank you to everyone for the hardware advice. In June I went for an 'off the shelf' machine from Mesh: core 2 quad (9450), 8Gb RAM, nVidia 9600GT and 1TB drive.

I installed Vista Ultimate 64 bit version, spent a few weeks finding drivers, tweaking settings and testing all the software I need to get stuff done. After a several months I can declare myself well pleased with the new toy.

Vue 6 Infinite is rock steady these days and very nippy though not as fast as Cinema 4D which flies along. I can at last have multiple apps open and operating at the same i.e. PhotoShop + Vue + Outlook + XYPlorer + others. Bliss.

Single downside, apart from the lack of drivers for my Canon flatbed and neg scanners, is that under Vista 64 Vue 6 Infinite can no longer read SketchUp's native .skp format. I might install a virtual instance of XP Pro to get around that. So much software, so little time.

Cheers,
Mark

Cheers,
Mark

silverblade33 ( ) posted Sun, 05 October 2008 at 8:11 PM

Cool! :)

hm wonder why sketchup is borked ike that?

nruddock ( ) posted Sun, 05 October 2008 at 8:21 PM

Quote - hm wonder why sketchup is borked ike that?

IIRC, it may be due to there not being a 64-bit version of the libraries required.
I'm sure this has been mentioned in either or both of Eon's and C3D's forums.

BigGreenFurryThing ( ) posted Mon, 06 October 2008 at 3:46 AM

Quote - IIRC, it may be due to there not being a 64-bit version of the libraries required.
I'm sure this has been mentioned in either or both of Eon's and C3D's forums.

Right on both counts. This is a problem for me as I'm receiving an increasing number of SketchUp files from people wanting rendering.

In the last few days, Google announced the merging of the general user and Pro forums. This is the biggest SketchUp related thing they've done in months. Version 6 is over a year and half old but, despite requests in user forums, Google refuses to release information about the future of SketchUp let alone a new release.

Guess we have no option but to wait and see what happens. Meantime, I'm off to install Virtual PC / XP Pro on my Vista box.

Mark

Cheers,
Mark

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.