Sat, Sep 21, 5:40 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photoshop

Welcome to the Photoshop Forum

Forum Moderators: Wolfenshire, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photoshop F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 10:49 pm)

Our mission is to provide an open community and unique environment where anyone interested in learning more about Adobe Photoshop can share their experience and knowledge, post their work for review and critique by their peers, and learn new techniques while developing the skills that allow each individual to realize their own unique artistic vision. We do not limit this forum to any style of work, and we strongly encourage people of all levels and interests to participate.

Are you up to the challenge??
Sharpen your Photoshop skill with this monthly challenge...

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: How to create this effect?

saus69 ( ) posted Wed, 16 January 2008 at 2:30 AM · edited Fri, 20 September 2024 at 2:25 PM

Is there any term for it?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/iconia/78717029/

I'm guessing they desaturated everything first and added blue and red saturation where necessary.

chris1972 ( ) posted Wed, 16 January 2008 at 6:28 AM

I dont know if there is a name for it, it looks like its had quite a bit of work done to it. You would just have play around with an image untill you got it to look the way you want. There several ways within photoshop to acomplish this. Could be a combination of levels adjustment, saturation, brightness, masking etc. They may have used layers set as a screen or some other layers adjustment. It also looks like the lighter areas of the face have been blurred slightly.
It is most likely not one effect but a combination of several.
Chris

cryptojoe ( ) posted Wed, 16 January 2008 at 6:31 AM

With the exception of taking the pictures yourself to set the lighting, make-up etc... I concur with Chris that it would take a combination of methods, most likely done in layers.

Yank My Doodle, It's a Dandy!

Imager ( ) posted Wed, 16 January 2008 at 10:32 AM

My guess is heavy retouching and the use of blend modes.

bonestructure ( ) posted Thu, 17 January 2008 at 4:59 PM

Looks to me that it was done with the makeup on the model, and the lighting for the photo, then manipulated slightly.

Talent is God's gift to you. Using it is your gift to God.

Hawk23 ( ) posted Fri, 18 January 2008 at 8:21 AM · edited Fri, 18 January 2008 at 8:22 AM

My guess is several layers and layer masks for each main feature, hair, eys mouth face and as someone else said blending modes which I have yet to get my head around lol,

thundering1 ( ) posted Fri, 18 January 2008 at 1:02 PM

I agree with bonestructure - looks mostly in-camera. This would be easy to do.

She's pale to begin with (look at her shoulder) and she has a pale makeup base on with vibrant lipstick, and bleached hair (which will often cast greenish-cyan shadows on itself, and the deeper it goes). Add to that some special attention with her mascara to alternate rows of black and pink to stick out.

A large soft source about 45 degrees  downangle from camera-right, and either a white board blasted with light behind her (to blow it ot), or we're looking at the the front of a large softbbox (there's a bit much spillover to seem to come from reflection - it might very well be the softbox).
That wouldn't need much postwork - just some CC and contrast adjustment to taste, but the rest is in-camera.

-Lew ;-)

bredaroos ( ) posted Wed, 23 January 2008 at 5:39 AM

This technique is called 'high key image'  and most of the work is done when shooting the photograph: loads of light. The bright colours in the lips are later adjusted in Photoshop.
Jacqueline

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.