Wed, Oct 2, 10:31 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 02 9:25 am)

Subject: Poser 6 gets lost looking for files

LanceB ( ) posted Sun, 20 January 2008 at 11:15 PM · edited Wed, 02 October 2024 at 8:27 AM

I have several runtimes in Poser 6 including V3, V4, sets, etc. When I bring characters into a scene Poser often looks for the geometry or texture file under the main Poser 6 runtime and can't find it rather than looking in the V4 runtime or other appropriate runtime. Then I have to manually locate the files. Has P7 solved this problem? Is there a good answer for this?

A second problem I have with multiple runtimes is that PInstall does not accurately place all files in the selected runtime. 

Both problems could be solved if I had everything in a single runtime but that creates an enormous runtime and additional problems when you have 100GB of files in Poser. (Yes I have a lot of crap in there....started with Poser 1.)
Lance

Acadia ( ) posted Sun, 20 January 2008 at 11:58 PM

Hmmm, I use Poser 6 and I have over 50 external runtimes and I don't have a problem with poser finding the geometry files unless I've moved them.

I don't know what "PInstall" is.

When I install or unzip anything, I do it to a folder on my desktop.  Then after I have renamed the folders inside the Library, I move the runtime to the runtime where it will live.

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

infinity10 ( ) posted Mon, 21 January 2008 at 12:02 AM
Online Now!

I have been using Poser 6 over the weekend, although I do also have Poser 7 ( was checking out some python scripts ).  I found that Poser 6 is very much less stable than Poser 7 and will exit or hang more easily for a variety of reasons, not all obvious.   I'd really have to admit - Poser 7 is much better to work with.  Move to Poser 7 if you can.

Eternal Hobbyist

Dizzi ( ) posted Mon, 21 January 2008 at 3:02 AM

Quote - When I bring characters into a scene Poser often looks for the geometry or texture file under the main Poser 6 runtime and can't find it rather than looking in the V4 runtime or other appropriate runtime. Then I have to manually locate the files.

Then either the references in the characters are wrong or if it happens all the time, the external runtime isn't linked properly (like linking the folder with the name 'runtime' instead of the folder containing it).

EnglishBob ( ) posted Mon, 21 January 2008 at 3:58 AM · edited Mon, 21 January 2008 at 4:00 AM

file_398158.png

Do your external runtimes have the proper folder structure? I had this problem when I manually created a new runtime and got the structure wrong. - Edited for clarification - The picture is the right way to do it - external runtimes have everything one folder level deeper than the default runtime.

Acadia ( ) posted Mon, 21 January 2008 at 8:35 AM

To expand a bit on what EnglishBob said, in the case of his picture example, in Poser you would link to the folder called  "Runtime2" and not to the "runtime" folder inside it.

LanceB ( ) posted Mon, 21 January 2008 at 10:33 PM

file_398225.jpg

To English Bob: I have attached a screen shot of my runtime structure, if it is not correct, let me know. 

To infinity 10: If Poser 7 is more stable than Poser 6 I would have no problem buying it. 

To Acadia: PInstall is an installer that automatically installs all files to the correct location under normal operation, but it has not been very accurate recently.

Acadia ( ) posted Mon, 21 January 2008 at 11:11 PM

Your runtime structure looks ok, so long as you are linking to the folder called "V4 Runtime".

Try installing files manually instead of using PIinstall. Exctract and unzip them into a folder on your desktop, then sort them the way you want them to be. Do not touch the geometries or texture folders, or any morph folders that are installed at the same level as the Libraries folder.  Anything inside the library, with the exception of the .obj files (if any) found inside the character folder, are fair game.  Then drag and drop the the runtime folder from that package into whatever runtime you want them to be in.

momodot ( ) posted Mon, 21 January 2008 at 11:16 PM

Attached Link: PX - Poser eXplorer

file_398228.jpg

I have this problem too. The paths are good. Checked "by hand" in EditPad, with Correct Referance and with Poser File Organizer. The paths are fine. I have tried both absolute and relative and all the deep and regular file search options but Poser can't find the referenced files quickly and mabe not at all 10% of the time.

I ended up dumping all my geometries and textures into the main runtime. Now I just consoladated my runtimes and I load everything from the Windows Explorer using PX - Poser eXplorer which allows me to load by double clicking or by the right-click contextual menu from any Windows Explorer or 2xExplorer window. The poser content files are given thumbnails from the .png or .rsr and I really can just double click on them... things load so fast now and I keep my library open to the empty "downloads" runtime so the Poser app loads realy fast on start up too.

LanceB ( ) posted Tue, 22 January 2008 at 9:34 PM

To momodot: 
I am not sure that I understand correctly how PX-Poser explorer works. Can I just use explorer to go into the file where the object is located and have it load without using the Poser library? Will it automatically locate the textures that are associated with the object?  Would i need to put all the geometries into the main runtime or would it work just as well going to the original runtimes?
Thanks

momodot ( ) posted Tue, 22 January 2008 at 10:33 PM

I have not used this with multiple runtimes but it is set-up for that as far as I can tell. This app lets you double click or right-click any Poser content viewed in any Explorer folder (or Explorer substitute such as 2xExplorer) and have it load in your Poser scene. It also gives all your Poser content thumbnails based on the .rsr or .png for the content. On my system at least it means I scroll past the generic .png thumbnails to the content which has graphical icons the same as in Poser Library bur icon sized (on my system half the size of a Poser Icon). The image above shows me having loaded by right click from one of three Explorer windows I have open.

Process:

1. I have Poser pointed at an empty runtime so it loads quick. I have placed the script PX script in the Poser 7 script pull-own folder as explained in the PX docs. I ran the PX config before the first use which was as confusing as hell to me but somehow I managed; it allows you to determn how to treat different file types and what to have in the Explorer right-click menu. I would have been better of with a dumb-down config app I think, something with a Wizard maybe, really I should have just left the defaults.

2 I open Poser and invoke the script from the Poser menu pulldown and  I open Explorer or 2xExplorer (a freeware Explorer alternative with more features) in a window next to Poser. For some reason it doesn't seem I actually have to run the script from start up but I don't know why not. I have been running other scripts in Poser and there seems to be no conflict so long as I don't use PX to load while a script is running or while I am rendering or anything like that.

1. I have set to display by type so I scroll past the generic .pct icons to the content Icons that are thumbnails based on the .pcts. I can load some stuff by double clicking the content items but because I screwed up my config (the author is helping me straighten that out) it is safer to load by the right-click pulldown as shown in the image  in the earlier post. That has been problem free.

2. The stuff loads into Poser with all referenced files faster than it ever did from libraries and much faster than from the free versions of this type set up I have tried (P3do with a loading script or Adavanced Library which I could never figure out) and I never navigate away from the empty runtime with the libraries so Poser load quickly too.

3. Loaded this way there seems to be none of this nonsense of Poser spinning its wheels searching :geometries" and "textures" for the referenced files... Every thing loads very fast and I don't have to build the damn library structure in Poser or navigate the libraries... instead I use Explorers directory tree and I have set all the damn Injection folders thrown every where to hidden so I only see the library folders. 2xExplorer has hot keys I have set up to jump to the Characters, Props, Poses, Lights, etc. folders.

This thing makes sense for someone like me who pines for the old Poser 2 interface but I wouldn't recomend it if you really love the Poser 5-7 GUI unless you need the speed as I did working with a bloated runtime.

magnemoe ( ) posted Wed, 23 January 2008 at 3:12 AM

I believe poser 7.0 is better at this, poser 6 often get stuck looking for textures, probably some materials with file names it get trouble with and it would search forever.

One problem I have had with poser 7.0 is that is sometimes give an error window about a missing file, and the error message end up behind the preview window locking poser. Only solution I have fond is to use Correct Reference to fix it, if you don’t click anywhere the error message is clickable but it don’t help much. Might be that the used texture is not visible so I don’t se any defect.

Except this Poser 7 is very stable compared with other versions, only crashed a few times for me total.

momodot ( ) posted Wed, 23 January 2008 at 5:57 AM

The author of PX helped me straighten everything out so now all my content loads on a double click from Explorer or 2xExplorer. It loads so lightening fast it is amazing. Instentanious now while I used to have to wait forever for Poser to search up the referenced files. I have no idea when everything loads so much faster this way than from the libraray in Poser.

momodot ( ) posted Wed, 23 January 2008 at 8:38 AM

I just got the final help I need from the PX author and everything with it is working perfectly. I can double click on any content in any Explorer window and my content is swiftly added to the scene.

LanceB ( ) posted Wed, 23 January 2008 at 8:53 PM

Thanks for all your help. I'll definitely give PX a try after I get back from Yellowstone Park in a few days. I have been somewhat fearful of Poser 7, each new edition seems to have it's own bugs but it may be time to upgrade.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.