Thu, Sep 19, 4:19 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Vue

Welcome to the Vue Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, TheBryster

Vue F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 17 9:46 am)

Subject: resize pz3

estherau ( ) posted Wed, 23 January 2008 at 7:37 AM · edited Thu, 19 September 2024 at 10:43 AM

does anyone here routinely resize ie scale, their pz3 at import? love esther

MY ONLINE COMIC IS NOW LIVE

I aim to update it about once a month.  Oh, and it's free!

Rutra ( ) posted Wed, 23 January 2008 at 9:53 AM

I many times resize PZ3 (not at import, but once inside the Vue scene). What do you mean by "resize at import"?

thefixer ( ) posted Wed, 23 January 2008 at 10:08 AM

Same as Rutra but I don't do it always, depends on the scene I'm creating!

Injustice will be avenged.
Cofiwch Dryweryn.

bruno021 ( ) posted Wed, 23 January 2008 at 12:03 PM

The pz3 normally imports with the right size in real world units. Some Daz figures import too small.
Depending on the scene, it can be necessary to resize manually to fit the scale of the scene.
But if you are talking about the resize option in the import dialog, then, no, I don't resize upon import.

Rutra ( ) posted Wed, 23 January 2008 at 1:31 PM

Ah!, now I searched and found the button. I must have imported thousands of PZ3 and I had never noticed that it's possible to resize at import! Amazing! Anyway, I dont see any real use for that. Why would one want to resize at import? It's much easier and precise to do it afterwards. But there must be some circumstance that the programmers were thinking when they did that... Hmmmm...

FrankT ( ) posted Wed, 23 January 2008 at 1:39 PM

I do that sometimes but I find it makes the lighting tricky - for e.g a light that totally overwhelms everything with an unscaled import at 100 is invisible in a scaled one.  One thing I've found is some Poser textures look better scaled up for some reason, Poser objects are notoriously small :)

My Freebies
Buy stuff on RedBubble

bruno021 ( ) posted Wed, 23 January 2008 at 2:32 PM

This option can be useful for importing objects from other programs where sizes are different. But for Poser, it's not necessary.

thefixer ( ) posted Wed, 23 January 2008 at 2:35 PM · edited Wed, 23 January 2008 at 2:37 PM

That's interesting Bruno, what units do you have Vue set for?
I'm asking because I have to resize Poser imports sometimes!!

I have Poser and Vue both set at Feet! [I'm old, LOL].

Injustice will be avenged.
Cofiwch Dryweryn.

bruno021 ( ) posted Wed, 23 January 2008 at 5:10 PM

I have both set to meters. Some Daz figures import too small, but about 20 cm, not much.

estherau ( ) posted Wed, 23 January 2008 at 6:16 PM

Quote:- "Ah!, now I searched and found the button. I must have imported thousands of PZ3 and I had never noticed that it's possible to resize at import! Amazing! Anyway, I dont see any real use for that. Why would one want to resize at import? It's much easier and precise to do it afterwards. But there must be some circumstance that the programmers were thinking when they did that... Hmmmm..." Well if you had a certain size that worked well in vue, then you would want all your cars and buildings etc to be matching, so if you were importing several pz3s then this might be a useful feature, but it seems people don't usually resize routinely by the same amount each time. Just thought I would check, because in C4D people resize routinely all the time during PZ3 import (by 1000 x). Love esther

silverblade33 ( ) posted Thu, 24 January 2008 at 1:20 AM

I scale everything in Vue6 Inf to real world scale based on feet. Makes it all so much easier and does improve looks, since spcetral atmsophere is also real scale :)

"I'd rather be a Fool who believes in Dragons, Than a King who believes in Nothing!" www.silverblades-suitcase.com
Free tutorials, Vue & Bryce materials, Bryce Skies, models, D&D items, stories.
Tutorials on Poser imports to Vue/Bryce, Postwork, Vue rendering/lighting, etc etc!

estherau ( ) posted Thu, 24 January 2008 at 8:15 AM

I'm not sure I know what you mean. do you scale up, and do you do that during the import or afterwards? And do you scale all the pz3 stuff by the same amount, or do you just change it when it looks like it needs changing, then what about the vue trees etc? love esther

AVANZ ( ) posted Thu, 24 January 2008 at 11:59 AM

I did this test ones: Created four box primitives in Poser, spaced them 1 meter appart in width and height, resized the four boxes to something like 0.1 %. You should now have a square 1m x 1m with tiny cubes. Saved and imported in Vue. If I wanted exactely the same size I had to scale the object by 1.111. Did a similar thing with V4, placing her between two very thin slabs. She turned out to be something like 1.94m (she must be Dutch then!) in Poser, which is a bit too tall for everage I would say. When I imported her into Vue without any scaling, she became approx. 1.74m which is much more average in my opinion. So, if you import a human character I would not scale the pz3.

estherau ( ) posted Sat, 26 January 2008 at 6:48 PM

thanks everyone! love esther

GSGALAXY ( ) posted Sun, 03 February 2008 at 6:34 AM · edited Sun, 03 February 2008 at 6:37 AM

.... most of times i don't bother with the real world sizes of the objects i want to use in my scene.
It's like watching a movie - as a viewer you only get to see, what the director "wants" you to see and "wants" you to make believe ...
A lots of action in front of the camera, but you don't get to see the people standing behind and saying cut or action.

That's the way i set up my scenes most of times. Everything that fits my scene and looks the way i want it to, will be positioned and scaled fitting into the picture. If my landscape is 100 meters by 100 meters in Vue measurements in size and i want it look like 10 times this size, well then i will scale down a poser figure and position it into that landscape, so that it will give the impression to the viewer, that it "is" that size. Depending if atmosphere, haze, fog, clouds work in size with the scene i want, so i keep scaling anything i use up or down until it's looking right ...

Since i can see the real world with my very own eyes, i believe i've got a good natural measure in my sight, to tell what looks right or wrong most of times - so original perfect scales in each object is for me just a slow down in my workflow, trying to get everything in scale with each other.

Anything that matters for me, is the outcome of the image - since i don't do animations, the scale is no factor me at all. In animations realistic scales might help - but with one computer to use, animations are for me a no,no anyway ...

silverblade33 ( ) posted Sun, 03 February 2008 at 6:50 AM

Poser imports mostly come in at correct size.
Damned silly that only Vue Infinite has real world measurements, grrr.

Note when scaling items to a scene, that, as said, it can affect how the atmosphere/light behaves, at least,with Spectrals.
:)

"I'd rather be a Fool who believes in Dragons, Than a King who believes in Nothing!" www.silverblades-suitcase.com
Free tutorials, Vue & Bryce materials, Bryce Skies, models, D&D items, stories.
Tutorials on Poser imports to Vue/Bryce, Postwork, Vue rendering/lighting, etc etc!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.