Wed, Oct 2, 10:23 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photography

Welcome to the Photography Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photography F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 12:22 pm)

Subject: Sigma Lens for Canon 20D

BibbyBear ( ) posted Fri, 25 January 2008 at 12:01 PM · edited Wed, 02 October 2024 at 10:19 PM

Hi Folks, yes, I'm back online at long last and am also in the process of looking to buy a DSLR.

I have my eyes on a Canon 20D body only (used, but in good condition) but I'm not sure what type of lens to buy for it?

I don't want to go for the Canon lenses just yet as they are expensive and out of my budget, but I believe Sigma are a really good alternative but I get confused with the different fittings from lens to camera and am terrified that I'm going to end up buying the wrong sort.

I'm doing most of this online as we don't have a great deal of camera shops around here in our local area and typically, it's cheaper to shop online too.

Can anyone advise me the best "standard" lens to go searching for (18 - 50mm etc?)

Your help, as always is much appreciated.

Thanks

Chrissy xx

"I don't suffer from insanity,
I enjoy every minute of it."
:lol:
CCCD Photography 
CCC Dezynz

inshaala ( ) posted Fri, 25 January 2008 at 3:44 PM

the 18-55mm is a good start...  you could go for a second hand 17-85mm Canon - it is a very good "standard" walkabout lens and has IS (image stabalisation) so you can use it nicely indoors as well.

As for sigma - i dont have much experience with the "kit"-type lens you are thinking of as i went the canon route with that.  (kit 18-55 then upgraded to the 17-85)

Urm - www.fredmiranda.com - try that for lens reviews... have a look at the sigma and canon ranges and there is tamron in there i think too which also worth a look.  Basically you wont be disappointed majorly, as upgrading to a dslr over a compact is a big leap in itself... it is only when you get very perfectionist with image quality that you realise "oh maybe i shouldnt have gone for the cheap lens"  But the thing is, if you are buying second hand, you dont really loose too much money reselling i think.  Other people will probably kill me for saying this but i think the kit lens (18-55) for the canon is a good idea - you can get it for about £50 on eBay as far as i remember... my copy was fine and i was impressed with the quality for the price (which is what you really ahve to think about, not compare it to another lens of the same focal length as it wont win, i'm willing to conceed that... but the "other lens" is at least double the price in most instances).  What is your budget anyway?  I might be able to suggest some options if i knew that...

Oh and welcome back to the world of onlineness ;) 

"In every colour, there's the light.
In every stone sleeps a crystal.
Remember the Shaman, when he used to say:
Man is the dream of the Dolphin"

Rich Meadows Photography

Tanchelyn ( ) posted Fri, 25 January 2008 at 4:45 PM

I have the 18-50 f2.8 as "standard" lens and I'm very happy with it.
I don't do any "tests" nor do I read them as real life is never laboratory conditions.

Important points for me are, apart from the fact that the quality is very good:

• when zooming, the lens does not rotate. This is handy when using some filters. The lens does become longer though.
    When focusing, it does not. Autofocus works fine with it (2.8 throughout) and manual is also ok.
  • the front lens is really at the front. Meaning that it may be a good idea to protect it with a skylight or uv filter. Or use the sun hood.
  • 18 corresponds with appr. 29mm, which makes an acceptable wide-angle and 50 corresponds with 80mm, making it ok for portraits etc.
  • I also like it because when you want to go more wide-angle, it fits nicely with the 10-20, and, at the other side, you can go the 105mm way ( close-up to 1:1 and an acceptable tele, coor. of some 170mm), 150 (even better) or, of you're into animals, up to a 300 or more. Or add a zoom like the 70-200 f 2.8.

It always fits nicely in the middle of everything, allowing expansion and making it a very good standard lens.
If you want to, and you have about a week or so of patience, I can send you somefull-size shots that are taken with it.

There are no Borg. All resistance is fertile.

Fred255 ( ) posted Fri, 25 January 2008 at 5:08 PM

**I got a used 10D  just before Christmas.  I'm very happy with it.  I got a used battery grip yesterday. 

So far I have a used **Sigma 12-24mm f/4.5-5.6 EX DG ASHPHERICAL HSM 

Cannon 35 - 80mm free when I bought the camera

Sigma** 70-300mm Macro APO 4-5.6 from Rich

and a Tamron** **AF55-200mm F/4-5.6 Di II LD Macro which I bought new. 

The whole lot is just over £800******

ecurb - The Devil

BibbyBear ( ) posted Fri, 25 January 2008 at 6:42 PM

Well, I'm not really sure what I want to buy other than I want a DSLR, prefer a new one, but I know there are some great deals on used cameras out there too.  I was all set for at least a 40D but, with the change in my circumstances over recent months, I'm now only able to spend about £400 (ish!) and I would prefer to at least have a basic lens with the camera for that price - at least to get me started for a couple of months.

My trouble is, I'm impatient now!!!  I've been wanting a new camera since my birthday last May and feel totally frustrated with my Kodak now, hence I've not picked it up and taken any shots for some months.

If anyone around here has a camera that they are wanting to sell and a lens or two to go with it... let me know ASAP 'cos at the moment, I'm surfing eBay with the intention of buying in the next day or two (I just can't wait any longer!!)

I know that I will end up buying something though that I will probably kick myself over as soon as someone around here comes back to me and says: " oh, I could have got you an x, y or z for the same price if only you had waited another few days!!"  But I can't wait!!

So, Rich, if you have any spare cameras or know where I can get my hands on one for a few hundred quid, drop me a line either in here or via site mail, text or email - you have my details!!  Or anyone else for that matter LOL!!

Seriously guys (and gals), I want and need a DSLR RIGHT NOW!!!

Many thanks for your help and advice

Chrissy xx

CCCD Photography 
CCC Dezynz

TomDart ( ) posted Fri, 25 January 2008 at 9:46 PM

Chrissy, really glad to see you back on line! : )

I use Nikon but Sigma makes Canon mounts for every lens they make for Nikon and other brands.  I am very pleased with Sigma overall. I use a 50mm macro which is also a fine lens with in price limits for portraits, etc.  I also have the 105 macro(I think the mm is right) and it does a fine job.  I also use a Sigma f/4 100-300 tele zoom and have Sigma converter for it to bring the mm to 420mm at f/5.     

All of these lenses do well for me in both autofocus, speed of focus, compability with the camera, etc.   I can't say anything good or bad about other brands since I don't have those. 

If you are looking for lenses which are generally as good and sometimes better, try Sigma. I might get negative replies from that statement!   For me and my Nikons, the Sigmas work very well and are closer to my budget than comparable Nikon glass.   I simply cannot afford the Nikon glass in some cases and going for the higher quality Sigma fits my bill well, even if a tad higher in price than the lower grade lenses of either Nikon or Sigma.

It is truly a treat to see you here speaking again.  Best wishes in finding that DSLR within your budget.  You will find the learning curve not so steep and you already have the eye for the compo.

Tom.

Onslow ( ) posted Sat, 26 January 2008 at 3:38 AM · edited Sat, 26 January 2008 at 3:48 AM

If you have £400 burning a hole in your pocket why not nip down to your local Jessops or Dixons where you will find a Canon 400D with a kit lens for less than your budget.

You'll get a good camera with a warranty, and the security of buying from a recognised high street shop.

Dixons / Currys = £389.99
Jessops = £399.99

And every one said, 'If we only live,
We too will go to sea in a Sieve,---
To the hills of the Chankly Bore!'
Far and few, far and few, Are the lands where the Jumblies live;
Their heads are green, and their hands are blue, And they went to sea in a Sieve.

Edward Lear
http://www.nonsenselit.org/Lear/ns/jumblies.html

Nameless_Wildness ( ) posted Sat, 26 January 2008 at 2:15 PM

but I'm not sure what type of lens to buy for it?

Depends on what you want to do!
Zoom lens, primes?
Remember the 20D has x6  fov (FIELD Of VIEW) crop from its sensor)...
as its a smaller sensor then 35mm film...and No, it is NOT a magnification of the lens!!! a 70-200  is still a 70-200!!
An  EF 300 2.8 (for arguements sake) will cost treble at what the f4 version will cost. All you loose is one stop!...a 'fast' lens will be more expensive than a 'slower' one! One makes choices with clarity and quality!
Make your choice in len(s) wisely is all I can say.
Put it simply, the same as putting a poor engine into a sports car!
Simply wont get out what you put in!!

mark.spooner ( ) posted Sat, 26 January 2008 at 4:46 PM · edited Sat, 26 January 2008 at 4:47 PM

I've use Sigma lenses with both my EOS 650 and with my 350D and they are excellent lenses.  Sigmas 18-200mm is an excellent general use lens without wrecking your bank balance.

short_ribs ( ) posted Sun, 27 January 2008 at 2:45 AM

Why dont you look at getting a canon EF 50mm f1.8 dont worry if it's not the older MK I (better build quality than the MK II but from what I've heard they're pretty much have the same optics...) and for the price they are new you can't really go wrong ( I plan to make this the next lens I get) I must say the one and only sigma I have is EXCELLENT! I got a 10-20mm and WOW I know several others here have them and haven't hear much bad about it. If I remeber correctly there's also a 50-200mm f2.8 that's pretty good from sigma but it all depends how much you're willing to pay for lenses... Oh and btw if you're interested in a EF-S 17-85mm IS I'm selling mine so if you're interested throw an IM my way 😉

I payed to get myself into an institution :m_tear: Check out my temporary site: APACHA

BibbyBear ( ) posted Sun, 27 January 2008 at 7:26 AM

Thank you so much for all your advice, I'm not sure if I'm more confused or not now though LOL!!  Basically it was the mounts I was confused about and wanted to make sure that a none-Canon lens would fit, but I think I've understood that bit now.

I've put my purchase of camera and lens into the hands of an expert 'cos I would end up just buying something that sounded good, used probably (which is OK, so long as you know what you're looking for etc, which I DON'T) but would end up disappointed in my own purchase!!

So, although I'm gonna have to wait until my "expert" finds a suitable camera and lens in my budget and then go down to collect it, I think, giving my lack of knowledge and experience with the technical stuff, this is the best option - I just have to learn to have a little more patience!!

Kai - I may very well be interested, but I will need to wait and see what budget I have left after the camera is purchased... I'll IM you if I have any money left over and see if it's still available then. Thanks for the offer xx

Thanks again everyone

Chrissy xx

CCCD Photography 
CCC Dezynz

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.