Fri, Sep 20, 5:43 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 11:01 pm)

Subject: Return figure to zero position after applying morphs

chris1972 ( ) posted Sat, 26 January 2008 at 3:08 AM · edited Fri, 20 September 2024 at 5:37 AM

After applying several morph targets to my v4 character ( made from same body parts) when I use joint editor to zero the figure, it does not return to the original position relative to the floor.
She ends up with the floor intersecting the body at the level of the knees approximately. (I select body and IK off before engaging joint editor.) (morphs do not change her position or size)

If I use drop figure to floor it drops her toes to the floor surface as it should.This is just fine for my own use but I'm developing this character for sale here at Rendo, and am concerned this may cause difficulty for users applying clothes etc.

Q#1 Will a character dropped to floor position cause problems?
Q#2 How does one return the figure to the original v4 zero position?
Chris

nruddock ( ) posted Sat, 26 January 2008 at 5:38 AM

Quote - Q#1 Will a character dropped to floor position cause problems?

Not really, "Dropping to floor" just alters the Hip Y translation value.

Quote - Q#2 How does one return the figure to the original v4 zero position?

There will be either a Hip or Body (or both) Y translation that you need to set to zero.

chris1972 ( ) posted Sat, 26 January 2008 at 6:01 AM

Thanks, that did the trick. I did'nt think to look there because I had not  changed them, however I applied several premade poses- they are changing the hip and body values. I thought in the past when I zeroed the figure with joint editor it always returned the figure to the zero position regardless of any poses that had been applied.
Thats what I get for thinking!
Thanks again!
Chris

lesbentley ( ) posted Sat, 26 January 2008 at 9:08 AM

file_398490.jpg

Zeroing the figure in the Joint Editor only zeros the rotations, it has no effect on translations.

You would think that an un-scaled figure with IK off, and with all its rotations and translations zeroed, should end up standing on the GROUND plain. Offten this is not the case. Many zeroed fiures will have their feet slightly below the ground (see graphic above).

Some other facts to consider.

The figures default pose, that is to say the pose it loads in, and the pose it will normally adopt if 'Restore Figure' is used (so long as this has not been reset), is usually not the same as the zeroed pose. The figure may be standing on the groung in the default pose, but zeroing the figure may put its feet below the ground.   

To empirically determin the zero elevation for a figure in some particular pose, you can use the Right or Left Camera, and set the GROUND to Wireframe Display style to give a datum line. 'Drop to Floor' works well in most circumstances, but there are two more factors to be concidered. The Poser GROUND plain is NOT at zero elivation, it is actually at -0.001 Poser Units. The feet may not look the best when they are technically at zero elevation, feet squash when weight is put on them, and they will also sink into a soft surface like a carpet. For these reasons, the figure may look more natural if yTran of the hip is 0.004 to 0.006 Poser Units below the position when Drop to Floor is used.

A pose to inject morphs should in general NOT change any translations or rotations, the end user may already have set the pose, and probably does not want it tampered with.

chris1972 ( ) posted Sat, 26 January 2008 at 9:42 AM

Thanks for the info.
You sound like you might be a civil engineer.
Chris

DarkEdge ( ) posted Sat, 26 January 2008 at 9:51 AM

Les, I think your avatar needs a superhero cape. 😄

Comitted to excellence through art.

lesbentley ( ) posted Sat, 26 January 2008 at 11:18 AM

Quote - You sound like you might be a civil engineer.

I am actually a factory worker, about to be made redundant in 3 weeks time. :sad:

chris1972 ( ) posted Sat, 26 January 2008 at 12:10 PM

I've worked in construction my entire life, precast/prestressed concrete/structural concrete_ worked with engineers all the time (now retired).
Thanks again
Chris

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.