Fri, Sep 20, 5:38 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 11:01 pm)

Subject: Eyebrow transparency for v4- possible?

chris1972 ( ) posted Sun, 27 January 2008 at 2:13 AM · edited Wed, 31 July 2024 at 2:49 AM

Is it possible to create an eyebrow transparency for v4?
My guess is polygons in the eyebrow area would have to have 2 materials assigned to the same group, but I dont know if this is possible. Im working with v4 and dont really want to switch to V4.1.

Victoria_Lee ( ) posted Sun, 27 January 2008 at 9:51 AM

V4 doesn't have an eyebrow material zone so you can't use transmaps on her.  V4.1 has the new material zone so you can use transmaps with her.

IMHO, V4.1 is a better model to work with any way.

Hugz from Phoenix, USA

Victoria

Remember, sometimes the dragon wins. Correction: MOST times.

chris1972 ( ) posted Sun, 27 January 2008 at 5:47 PM

Thank you for your response. 
The intent of my question was if it is possible to create one. (new material zones)
and can 2 materials be assigned to the same group of polygons.
Is it technically feasable givin the limitations of v4

diolma ( ) posted Sun, 27 January 2008 at 6:27 PM

file_398586.jpg

chris,

Yes, it's possible, by using the grouping tool.
(I'm not sure when this tool was introduced, certainly it's in Poser 5 and later).

Referring to the pic above...

1 - Select the head.
2 - Change display Style to "Hidden Line" (otherwise you'll be unable to see anything much).
3 - Open the Grouping Tool.
4 - Start a New Group and give it a name (eg Eyebrows)
5 - (the tedious bit) carefully select the polys you want. They'll change to red. I didn't do anything carefully here, just selected some representative polys.
6 - Hit Assign Material and give it a name (eg Eyebrows - doesn't matter if it's the same name as the group or not).

Exit the grouping tool (and give deep sigh of relief).

When you enter the Mat room, you should now have a new material available. Materials added later should override existing materials. Not an area I'm clear on, but it's not caused me any problems so far..

Hope that helps,

Cheers,
Diolma

Ghostofmacbeth ( ) posted Sun, 27 January 2008 at 10:30 PM

There is an eyebrow forV4 in the V.1 version.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Sun, 27 January 2008 at 10:40 PM

Uh - no you can't assign two materials to the same polygon.

Once you use the group tool to change the assigned material, those polygons are no longer part of the previous material zone. Effectively you did nothing but make another zone that needs to be set.

However, many "dual" materials can actually be built with nodes. Have a look at this rather extreme example:

It looks like there are two surfaces, one that is guts, and the other that is gel. But it is all one surface, and just one shader.

To create the illusion of a multi-layer shader, you need to use Blender nodes. Think about your material in separate terms. Design each material by itself.

Then you must choose a pattern to overlay one material on the other, unless they are both uniformly present. In the case of hairs, you would use a control map just like a transmap. 

Now examine your two shaders. For every main channel that is different, you put a Blender node into it, controlled by your map. On the two inputs to the Blender, you put the two different values or nodes that you used in each of your separate shaders.

If you do this for every input of the Surface, you effectively create a double material. The control map (like a transmap) will choose one material or the other for you at each point. Of course if the control map is not between 0% and 100% then you will blend the two shaders. It is the same effect as partial transparency. For example, I did precisely that to create a dual shader that simultaneously mimics human leg skin, as well as nylon stockings over the skin.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

bagginsbill ( ) posted Sun, 27 January 2008 at 10:44 PM

Funny this subject has come up like 50 times this last month. I have written many many tutorials and demo materials featuring the Blender node as the central feature, yet people have not learned its general usefulness.

Decals, tatoos, water on glass, hair, veins, rust on metal, stockings, underwear, skinsuits ... all these things are examples of dual materials I have posted recently, done as single materials featuring Blender nodes.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

chris1972 ( ) posted Mon, 28 January 2008 at 2:38 AM

Thank You bagginsbill, exactly what I was looking for.
I will look for your tutorials
Chris

altmandee ( ) posted Mon, 28 January 2008 at 8:45 AM

How do I remove Victoria 4.1 eyelashes?  After I load Victoria 4.1 I use the paramters box and I can fade out her eyelashes completely and when i inj a charcter to her those eyes lashes are back and cast a big eyelash shadow above the eye and below.

Dee

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.