Fri, Sep 20, 7:45 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 20 6:55 am)

Subject: Crop UV map, is it possible with uv offset settings?

chris1972 ( ) posted Sat, 02 February 2008 at 5:33 PM · edited Fri, 20 September 2024 at 7:33 AM

I dont really know the function of uv offsets in the 2d image map node, but is it possible to crop a uv map (and then enlarge) to detail a body part like the hands in order to produce greater detail and compensate for the difference (missing map areas) using uv offsets (or some other setting).
I realize you could remap the obj file, but I want it to be compatable with the standard v4 character.

bopperthijs ( ) posted Sat, 02 February 2008 at 8:54 PM

UV-offsets move the imagemap in the horizontal or vertical direction  related to the UV-mapping. Unless you want special effects it is encouraged to change those settings with skinmaps or otherwise the nipples of your character appear on her back!
Greater detail is achieved by making bigger imagemaps, changing the UV-map scale on the node distorts the texture.
The V3 bodymap had huge handareas, but the V4 limbs-map is more realistic IMHO.

regards,

Bopperthijs.

-How can you improve things when you don't make mistakes?

bagginsbill ( ) posted Sat, 02 February 2008 at 9:50 PM

Chris,

Yes it is possible. A while back in the Node Cult forum at Runtime DNA we explored the use of an image that had lips and only lips on the Jessi Figure. We changed her lips to a new material zone, and then assigned a relatively small image that only has lips on it, using U/V scale and offset values that were not equal to the the default values of 1/1 0/0.

The difficulty is that nobody has published any coordinates for these sub-map zones. It seems like a good idea to do so. We'd need to work these numbers out for each figure. If I had the numbers I'd just tell them to you, and you'd be able to make a small image focused only on the hands perform equally as well as a gigantic image for the whole body.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

bopperthijs ( ) posted Sun, 03 February 2008 at 5:48 AM

Sorry, you're right Bagginsbill, it must have been a little late last night. I must have misread the question (dutch dude huh!) I thought he wanted to use the original maps and scale it up. I should visit the node-cult more often.

regards,

Bopperthijs

-How can you improve things when you don't make mistakes?

gmadone ( ) posted Sun, 03 February 2008 at 9:47 AM

file_399141.jpg

Sweet, another fun math question.

I cropped the lower hand from the seam guide being sure the bottom row of the guide was on the cropped piece, and painted the background red to make the adjustments easier. You can get the location and scale from the ratio of the position and size of the cropped piece with the original; I just tweaked it to fit using the original seam guide and a color math node. It was easy to align using the area render for the fine tuning. Tune M5 first to get the lower left, then both scales to adjust the right and top of the lower image, and then position the top.

You could used 2 images blended together using a blender like B2 but I enjoy the math to much to try that solution.

Thanks,

Gary.

chris1972 ( ) posted Sun, 03 February 2008 at 12:47 PM

Seek and Ye shall find!
Thanks guys for all your input.
Thats great!
I will give it a whirl
Chris

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.