Thu, Oct 3, 9:22 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / 3D Modeling

Welcome to the 3D Modeling Forum

Forum Moderators: Lobo3433

3D Modeling F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 29 9:12 pm)

Freeware 3D Modeling Software Links:
Blender | Trimble Sketchup | Wings 3D | Anim8or | Metasequoia | Clara IO (Browser-based 3d modeler)

Check out the
MarketPlace Wishing Well, as a content creator's resource for your next project.

"What 3D Program Should I buy?" Not one person here can really tell you what's best for you, as everyone has their own taste in workflow. Try the demo or learning edition of the program you're interested in, this is the only way to find out which programs you like.

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Collaborating? Victorian era villages etc...

koosievantutte ( ) posted Wed, 30 January 2008 at 6:53 AM · edited Wed, 30 January 2008 at 6:54 AM

file_398798.jpg

this is what the the 4 buildings i am working on look like in real life.

"The light at the end of the tunnel may be an oncoming train"

Conniekat8 ( ) posted Wed, 30 January 2008 at 6:01 PM

Sweet Looking!

Hi, my namez: "NO, Bad Kitteh, NO!"  Whaz yurs?
BadKittehCo Store  BadKittehCo Freebies and product support

FranOnTheEdge ( ) posted Thu, 31 January 2008 at 9:39 AM

Quote - this is what the the 4 buildings i am working on look like in real life.

Yes, I was just thinking that you were probably right about the murkiness of the water, and this shot proves it.  Olive green water!  Eeeuuuuwww!  But most inner city water is often that colour.

Measure your mind's height
by the shade it casts.

Robert Browning (Paracelsus)

Fran's Freestuff

http://franontheedge.blogspot.com/

http://www.FranOnTheEdge.com

koosievantutte ( ) posted Thu, 31 January 2008 at 10:02 AM · edited Thu, 31 January 2008 at 10:02 AM

they cleaned up the canals, fran, so the water is not so dirty actually. the colour becomes mainly green/blue because of the trees and the sky between the high walls of the canals.

FranOnTheEdge ( ) posted Thu, 31 January 2008 at 2:40 PM · edited Thu, 31 January 2008 at 2:41 PM

Attached Link: Kennet & Avon Canal in Reading

I was just thinking that I thought the river in Reading had been cleaned up a bit too, - it looks quite nice around there, swans and all.

I wonder if we could have swans in our village?

by the shade it casts.

Fran's Freestuff

FranOnTheEdge ( ) posted Thu, 31 January 2008 at 2:44 PM

Attached Link: Narrow Boats on the Kennet & Avon Canal in Reading

Hey I just saw this too, is the canal in our village the kind that would have narrow boats like this one?

by the shade it casts.

Fran's Freestuff

koosievantutte ( ) posted Fri, 01 February 2008 at 11:40 AM

we don't have those kind of boats here (sadly), but i think there is no problem importing one (if they are very low as the brick bridges are so low that they had to build special canal boats for sightseeing.

Boofy ( ) posted Sat, 02 February 2008 at 4:11 AM

Hi all, sorry for being out of contact but my pc has been playing up and I just got my new laptop so I am in the midst of downloading progs and files etc. I have been watching all the great progress.

Great ship there Jed, welcome to the nut...er...dutch house! :blink:I think that maybe a couple of smaller cargo ships/canal boat type of things would make it look proportianal when we get around to doing that sort of thing and other stuff that we will eventually put in will fill out the scene.

I like the idea of swans on the canal, maybe a few fish in the water would look good too. I know they wont be all that visible but it would be like an added extra when people do spy them.

Love the renders and models there koosie, great stuff. How are you feeling? I know you were a bit under the weather just recently.

On another note my hubby has just quit his job as they were on his back so much (after a pay dispute) that he had to walk away from the #@#$$'s or risk another blown vein in his eye from blood pressure. He does have an interview on Monday to be a Tram Driver {ding!ding!} So it is now a brand new world for us.

Hope you all have a great weekend.

Catch ya later.
Jen

koosievantutte ( ) posted Sun, 03 February 2008 at 3:52 PM

file_399168.jpg

we'll see you when you're ready, jen 😄

i have to add a lot of boring windows to the seven buildings i am working on and to avoid it for a little while without being considered lazy i mode3led a gas latern - the render was made a little bit darker to suggest evening 😄
the building on the right does not really have a name on it, but i thought it would add a nice touch - it's 'the square world' written in 'ye olde dutch' if you get my drift.

Boofy ( ) posted Sun, 03 February 2008 at 4:19 PM

Thanks koosie,
I'm slowly getting there with all the downloads of progs and stuff. I hope to be up and playing...er working hard soon:rolleyes:.

Those buildings are looking great! I love the name, it suits the theme of it all. That lantern looks great. I sent connie a pic of one a while ago with rusty materials I will dig it up and send it to you if you like?

catch y'all later. Jen

dvlenk6 ( ) posted Sun, 03 February 2008 at 5:14 PM

This was in the Industry News forum.
Kerkythea2008 was released.
It has instancing and more user friendly material set up. And some other goodies.😄
http://www.kerkythea.net/joomla/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=42&func=select&id=2

Friends don't let friends use booleans.

koosievantutte ( ) posted Sun, 03 February 2008 at 5:38 PM

i answered this one, but the answer seems to have disappeared between here and rr -
thanks dv - i downloaded kerkythea when it came out, but had no time yet to install it.
i will certaily look at the links you mention - hope i can understand what they are talking about.

dvlenk6 ( ) posted Sun, 03 February 2008 at 5:53 PM

It is a good bit faster rendering than the last version.
Might be worthwhile to install it.

koosievantutte ( ) posted Sun, 03 February 2008 at 5:58 PM

i certainly will, but from what i read it is more complicated too - have mercy on my soul - the thing i love(d) is that kt produces results without very much knowledge on my part 😄
(i'll keep the old one handy, just in case of overload (on my part)

koosievantutte ( ) posted Sun, 03 February 2008 at 5:58 PM

i certainly will, but from what i read it is more complicated too - have mercy on my soul - the thing i love(d) is that kt produces results without very much knowledge on my part 😄

dvlenk6 ( ) posted Sun, 03 February 2008 at 6:04 PM

Quote - i certainly will, but from what i read it is more complicated too - have mercy on my soul - the thing i love(d) is that kt produces results without very much knowledge on my part 😄

I did some quicky tests with it. It can use all the same files that 2007 used. There are, admittedly, more options and more systems, but you don't have to use those if you don't want to.
Be warned that when you install 2008, it will overwrite 2007.
I suppose you could install to a different directory and keep both.

koosievantutte ( ) posted Sun, 03 February 2008 at 6:11 PM

i will, tomorrow, i think. have to get some beauty sleep now - i know, it will not make me look better, but i won't feel so tired later on.

koosievantutte ( ) posted Mon, 04 February 2008 at 4:51 PM · edited Mon, 04 February 2008 at 4:53 PM

file_399255.jpg

today i installed the new kerkythea - looks good with the grey - nice and quiet for the eyes - a very nice thing is that the wireframe is bordered so that you can see everything you want to render now and not to have (as previous) to use the sliders to check if everything you wanted to be on it really is. the best thing is that all (as little as that is) i could use before is still there as before 😄 as my renders never take very long i don't know if it's faster.

result of my first render - the buildings are finished with the exception of several windows and one door in the corner building.

koosievantutte ( ) posted Mon, 04 February 2008 at 4:52 PM

file_399257.jpg

and the clay version.

dvlenk6 ( ) posted Mon, 04 February 2008 at 5:04 PM

Cool.
Can you start sending some of the finished models over to me?
I need to quadrangulate them and UV map them.

koosievantutte ( ) posted Mon, 04 February 2008 at 5:22 PM · edited Mon, 04 February 2008 at 5:25 PM

of course, it's best to send them separate i think - the whole corner, 7 buildings is 18 mb.

i have downloaded a new plugin for exporting .obj files - this should be better than the one i used before - is it better to send them as obj files?

dvlenk6 ( ) posted Mon, 04 February 2008 at 5:42 PM · edited Mon, 04 February 2008 at 5:43 PM

.obj is good :)
EDIT - Send the .mtl too, please.

koosievantutte ( ) posted Mon, 04 February 2008 at 5:53 PM · edited Mon, 04 February 2008 at 5:53 PM

i get funny results from the obj file, the whole bunch is lying on it's side in bryce and everything looks funny - how and where do i get an mtl file?

dvlenk6 ( ) posted Mon, 04 February 2008 at 6:00 PM

Apparently SU doesn't export a .mtl file...Just don't worry about it then.
I'll fix the axis orientation too.

koosievantutte ( ) posted Mon, 04 February 2008 at 6:13 PM

i will send you the obj file, it's only 2,81 mb - don't do anything about the corner building - that's the one i still have to draw in all the windows - will be ready tomorrow - if you need the sketchup file, tell me.

dvlenk6 ( ) posted Mon, 04 February 2008 at 6:17 PM

Just wait until it all done, then send it.
You can send anything you else you got ready too.

koosievantutte ( ) posted Mon, 04 February 2008 at 6:20 PM

ok - forget the stuff i sent you 2 minutes ago - just bin it
will sort it out tomorrow'

dvlenk6 ( ) posted Mon, 04 February 2008 at 6:23 PM

Sorry, guess I don't type fast enough.
Back to school for me. :lol:

FranOnTheEdge ( ) posted Tue, 05 February 2008 at 6:34 AM

Just to let you know that having escaped from the evil Baron - (just before the train came chugging down the tracks) - I've done a bit more of the organ, not bothering to show you though cos it's just numerous different sized boxes really.

I'm waiting for some decent time free to plunge into doing the pipes part.

by the shade it casts.

Fran's Freestuff

koosievantutte ( ) posted Thu, 07 February 2008 at 11:05 AM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/index.php?image_id=1613503

file_399442.jpg

yesterday i finished the block of houses i was working on and put it in my gallery.

koosievantutte ( ) posted Thu, 07 February 2008 at 11:08 AM · edited Thu, 07 February 2008 at 11:09 AM

file_399443.jpg

this is where we are now - i rendered it without the clipper to keep the overview clear. (look at the big picture :-)

FranOnTheEdge ( ) posted Thu, 07 February 2008 at 2:33 PM

Looking good Koosie, very good.

by the shade it casts.

Fran's Freestuff

dvlenk6 ( ) posted Thu, 21 February 2008 at 2:42 PM

I managed to get your block exported intact, Koosie.
There is a new version of the object exporter. Maybe that works better or else I just got lucky. :unsure:
http://sketchuptips.blogspot.com/search/label/plugin

Didn't get to UV mapping yet, will do it over the weekend.

Conniekat8 ( ) posted Thu, 21 February 2008 at 2:47 PM

Hey, I actually got a e-bot for this thread! I think that's a first!   Got some catching up to do here - again.

dvlenk6 ( ) posted Thu, 21 February 2008 at 3:01 PM · edited Thu, 21 February 2008 at 3:02 PM

I haven't gotten an ebot from 'rosity for god knows how long...

EDIT - and it doesn't track which threads I've read anymore either...

koosievantutte ( ) posted Thu, 21 February 2008 at 3:18 PM · edited Thu, 21 February 2008 at 3:21 PM

file_400445.jpg

hurah, i got an ebot :lol: dv - i used the new one, think you were just lucky (or, more probably, better than i am) - despite the silence i am still working on - almost finished the last part of the buildings along the river side to finish part g of block d - will post a view later

i have also been experimenting with the new kerkythea, still not have the hang of it, but progressing i think/hope

Conniekat8 ( ) posted Thu, 21 February 2008 at 4:41 PM

Quote - I haven't gotten an ebot from 'rosity for god knows how long...

EDIT - and it doesn't track which threads I've read anymore either...

Yeah, same here - which is why I think the one I did get stood out like a sore thumb!

dvlenk6 ( ) posted Thu, 21 February 2008 at 6:24 PM

Quote - ...almost finished the last part of the buildings along the river side to finish part g of block d - will post a view later...

What is 'H' on your map there?
Is that an unfinished part?

dvlenk6 ( ) posted Mon, 25 February 2008 at 9:20 AM

Koosie,
I ran out of time (never enough of that, is there?) over the weekend and didn't get to work on the .obj at all.
I will try to make some time this week and hopefully get to work on it.

Boofy ( ) posted Sun, 02 March 2008 at 5:31 PM

Hi all, I'm still alive and kicking here.

My work has banned the internet so I am not able to post as much. By the time i get home at 7pm, have tea and help Al with job applications i dont have a lot of time. I have just about got the laptop sorted so will be more active soon. Looooove all the stuff that you lot have been doing.

See ya

Jen

koosievantutte ( ) posted Sun, 02 March 2008 at 5:46 PM

well, i have been doing nothing at all the last week or so - had lots of things to do, medical checkup, tax forms and a lot more - will start again tomorrow when all goes well.

Boofy ( ) posted Sun, 02 March 2008 at 7:12 PM

On the good side, we are now permenant instead of contract workers with a bit of a payrise to boot so that has come in handy at this particular time:)

koosievantutte ( ) posted Sat, 15 March 2008 at 1:19 PM

file_402035.jpg

this is to show that the victorian village is not gone - it's still alive and making progress, albeit in snail pace 😄 the layout of the buildings facing both the river and the harbour is complete although details still have to be added. the warehouses which were originally alongside the inner harbour have been moved to be part of this block of buildings and a 'stoombakkerij' (steam bakery) has been added. dvlenk6 is working on uv mapping and other things i don't quite understand, but i trust it will be good 😄

dvlenk6 ( ) posted Sat, 15 March 2008 at 4:11 PM

You are getting really good at making buildings. Those look great.
What's the damage (poly count)?

koosievantutte ( ) posted Sat, 15 March 2008 at 5:02 PM

where do i find the polycount in sketchup?

dvlenk6 ( ) posted Sat, 15 March 2008 at 6:32 PM · edited Sat, 15 March 2008 at 6:33 PM

Window -> Model Info -> Statistics -> 'Entire Model' from the pulldown.
You're looking for 'faces' number. It will be close to the polygon count, not quite the same; because sketchup uses n-gons. The actual polygon (quad, 4 side poly) count will be little higher. I think 10% to 15%, from what I've seen so far.
Though in some cases, it could actually be lower, through some simplification of the mesh; deleting unneccisary polys, and what not.

koosievantutte ( ) posted Sat, 15 March 2008 at 6:40 PM

faces: 47.862

dvlenk6 ( ) posted Sat, 15 March 2008 at 7:20 PM

That's not too bad, for a whole block.
I had seen some areas in the other model that could greatly simplified. Maybe this one can be trimmed down too. I might be able to trim down some of the curvatures also... like the brackets might be really high, and could simplified down. Or the arches over the windows...

koosievantutte ( ) posted Sun, 16 March 2008 at 5:55 AM

do whatever is necessary to save face :lol:
i am checking, but i don't think i can add 2gb to my existing 2gb ram 😠 :cursing:
somehow one always forgets things when buying a new computer.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.