Fri, Sep 20, 6:54 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Community Center

Welcome to the Community Center Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Community Center F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 8:42 pm)

Forum news, updates, events, etc. Please sitemail any notices or questions for the staff to the Forum Moderators.

Subject: Since we all _love_ to do backups ...

MGD ( ) posted Sun, 03 February 2008 at 7:20 AM · edited Fri, 20 September 2024 at 6:48 AM

Greetings,

I got an eMail from iomega that offers external HDD at 25 cents per gigabyte ...

500 GBy USB 2.0 $122.45

750 GBy USB 2.0 $188.95

Enjoy ... 

--

Martin

MGD ( ) posted Sun, 03 February 2008 at 1:29 PM

By some odd coincidence, today's Tech Tip from Computer Geeks is related to this subject ...

Please read, "Tech Tip #155 - External Storage: Go Big or Don't Bother!"

BTW, the side banner on that page has some even better prices than the Iomega special that I noted to kick off this thread. 

HTH

Please comment ...

--
Martin

moonrancher ( ) posted Sun, 03 February 2008 at 3:35 PM

I can't resist telling the story of my TWO Iomega 500 GB drives that have both died within weeks of each other. One was a mirror of the other. I lost almost everything, because after the first one died I I had to order a replacement and had only moved about 32 GB of data from the remaining drive before it died, too.

The shop where I took them to see if the data could be saved said they're very familiar with problems with the enclosures. But actually, this time the drives were bad, and they thought the problem looked like it did come from the enclosures stressing the drives. They were able to read one of the drives, but not long enough to stream the data off of it before it too was totally gone. As I have always done, they even used a cooling system as part of their efforts.

You might of course have a lot better luck than this. I have two older Iomega 250 GB drives that are still working.

I'm not a happy customer right now, and they wanted $700 to $2900 to see about getting my data off the bad drives IF it were possible, and they said they'd deliver it back to me on DVDs.
Heh.

AnnieD ( ) posted Sun, 03 February 2008 at 5:24 PM

I have a question...Has anyone here ever bought anything from computer geeks and if so...
How is the service?  Are they reliable?

“For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible.”

[Stuart Chase]

moonrancher ( ) posted Sun, 03 February 2008 at 6:16 PM

We usually get stuff at good prices from eCost and buy.com. Haven't tried these guys.

MGD ( ) posted Mon, 04 February 2008 at 9:03 AM · edited Mon, 04 February 2008 at 9:07 AM

I see that AnnieD was wanted to know if,

anyone here ever bought anything from computer geeks and if so...
How is the service?  Are they reliable?

I have bought quite a bit of stuff from them.  I heard of them when I was running the Berkeley SETI@Home distributed computing and/or Radio Astronomy project.  I used parts from Computer geeks to build about 10 low cost PC's to increase my participation in the project --  a "SETI Farm". 

As to the reliability of the Geeks ... Everything I have purchased from them has been exactly what their listing page said it would be.  In the rare cases where something didn't work, and was a low priced item, they sent a replacement at their cost -- no return was required. 

I have used the internet since 1994 ... early on, I learned that reputation is the coin of the internet -- slow to create, easy to ruin ... in my book, Computer Geeks has established good reputation, and earned my trust. 

HTH

--
Martin

AnnieD ( ) posted Mon, 04 February 2008 at 1:39 PM · edited Mon, 04 February 2008 at 1:41 PM

Thank to both of you.. I saw some nice things  at a very reasonable price and was hoping they were reliable.   I'm checking out both places today.

“For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible.”

[Stuart Chase]

MGD ( ) posted Mon, 04 February 2008 at 2:37 PM

BTW, you can use PriceWatch.com to get a reality check on prices ... OTOH, it's too bad that web site doesn't give you any kind of assurance about the reliability of the vendor. 

--
Martin

Giolon ( ) posted Fri, 08 February 2008 at 2:35 AM

The vendors almost all have a 1-5 star rating that is given by pricewatch users.  IIRC, you can click on the star ratings themselves to see a breakdown with comments (and responses by the vendor) from each person who left feedback.

¤~Giolon~¤

¤~ RadiantCG ~¤~ My Renderosity Gallery ~¤

MGD ( ) posted Fri, 08 February 2008 at 7:56 AM

I was troubled to hear that moonrancher had,

TWO Iomega 500 GB drives that have both died within weeks of each other ...
One was a mirror of the other. I lost almost everything
they wanted $700 to $2900 to see about getting my data off the bad drives

Did you get a quote from OnTrack Data Recovery?

--
Martin

moonrancher ( ) posted Fri, 08 February 2008 at 11:42 AM · edited Fri, 08 February 2008 at 11:43 AM

Thanks, MGD- I talked to some very nice people at OnTrack, and they offer some great solutions. Their recovery is -only- $700 to $2200, and much faster than what Seagate/Iomega offers but still. ...

I'm just very thankful I have everything off on DVDs and can get back up eventually without that expense.

Angelouscuitry ( ) posted Fri, 08 February 2008 at 11:26 PM · edited Fri, 08 February 2008 at 11:31 PM

This is cross-posted, in the Hardware Technical Forum, where I think it belongs; and my reply on Feb 3, 2008 8:09 pm:

$0.21/GB, 3.75 times as fast.

went...

MGD ( ) posted Sat, 09 February 2008 at 7:55 AM

I see that Angelouscuitry noticed this message was,

cross-posted, in the Hardware Technical Forum 

Yes ... and also in the Photogrphy Forum. 

Sometimes I place a message where the audience will discuss it ... and sometimes
I place a message where it needs to be read ... sometimes I do both. 

If the renderosity forum system allowed a message to be seen in more than one forum
(like sending an eMail to multiple addresses, multiple mailing lists, on on usenet -- to
multipe newsgroups), I would use that method.  IOW, I use the tools at hand. 

... ahd hope to give good advice ... always. 

Comments ... please ...

--
Martin

moonrancher ( ) posted Sat, 09 February 2008 at 8:09 AM

Cross posting might serve your needs, but is a reason I rarely visit the forums, which defeats your purpose to some extent in the long run.

Angelouscuitry ( ) posted Sat, 09 February 2008 at 12:23 PM · edited Sat, 09 February 2008 at 12:35 PM

moonrancher -  Well put, thank you.

" Yes ... and also in the Photogrphy Forum. 

Sometimes I place a message where the audience will discuss it ... and sometimes
I place a message where it needs to be read ... sometimes I do both."*

MGD - Actually more than both, as this was more of a triathletic effort, this time.

Cross posting is against the Renderosity TOS, you are not allowed to do this.  If a Moderator notices, you will have created work for Him/Her; as He/She will need to decide where the topic belongs, and then move each thread to that single forum.

Your intention should always be to "Discuss," else you're "Spamming;" and then replies, like mine in the HT forum, go thankless.

TwoPynts ( ) posted Tue, 12 February 2008 at 4:35 PM · edited Tue, 12 February 2008 at 4:36 PM

I would not consider this spam Angelouscuitry and there is nothing about it in the TOS that I have seen. MGD is merely posting a serious topic in Forum that he thinks may be interested. Your concern over the Moderators' workloads is appreciated though, I wish more members thought that way. Perhaps just having a link back to one "mother" thread would be a better option in the future.

Kort Kramer - Kramer Kreations

Angelouscuitry ( ) posted Tue, 12 February 2008 at 7:58 PM

TwoPynts - NP.

"MGD is merely posting a serious topic in Forum that he thinks may be interested. "

*Actually, he was posing, the same thing, to Multiple Forums.  I'm not sure what TOS we're on, but the last time I heard; posting the same discussion, to more than one forum, iss a no-no, which I've always been reprimanded for. 

I'm not sure X-Linking X-Posts would erase the premise by which X-Posting isn't allowed; though I'd be interested in said discussion. 

And why bother (X-)Posting, without an intention to "Discuss" in any of said threads?  Spam to me is anytime you repeatedly broadcast something, without the intention of replying to said broadcast; becuse the broadcasts would be too numerous, hence too time consuming to reply to?

Basically this member X-Posted, and wasted my time.  I'm not going to do your job here, but I think that was why that portion of the TOS was written?

AnnieD ( ) posted Tue, 12 February 2008 at 8:48 PM

You should take into consideration that  not everyone subscribes or looks at all the forums.   This is the only forum I've seen this in.  :biggrin:

[Stuart Chase]

Angelouscuitry ( ) posted Tue, 12 February 2008 at 9:35 PM · edited Tue, 12 February 2008 at 9:40 PM

AnnieD - Now imagine your feeling if you, like you should have, expected this to be the only forum to find this topic in; then took time to compose/link an informative reply, and went it ignored, because the original poster posted to too many forums, and then decided to just ignore all the responses, as they became too much a bother to answer, except at some/one other thread, that you did'nt know about, nor expected, because of the Renderosity TOS?  This is why we don't X-Post.

And no I am not subscribed to this, or every forum; I just happened to notice and then recognize what's going on.  So while your defense, over why the TOS maybe should be changed to allow X-Posting, stands;  that brings this thread way OT, because it wouldn't make just what has been PC up to here and now legitimate.

But, hey, why is it I am preaching...

:tongue1:

AnnieD ( ) posted Tue, 12 February 2008 at 11:08 PM

I am not defending anything about the terms of service...I don't know what they are....and I'm
cetainly not advocating changing them.
I'm  sorry you didn't get the attention you thought you should. 

I'm simply saying that I gained valuable information from the post and I wouldn't have seen it  in the photography forum or the hardware/tech forum because I don't read those posts.

[Stuart Chase]

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.