Sun, Oct 6, 8:34 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 05 8:40 pm)

Subject: has anyone sold their art at www.cafepress.com?

drifterlee ( ) posted Thu, 14 February 2008 at 10:58 PM · edited Sun, 06 October 2024 at 8:30 AM

www.cafepress.com looks like a good deal to sell prints, t-shirts etc of your art. Has anyone used this service and made any money? Thanks

dphoadley ( ) posted Fri, 15 February 2008 at 1:25 AM

Think someone might like one of my 'Dphoadley Fan Club' T-Shirts there? ;=D
DPH

STOP PALESTINIAN CHILD ABUSE!!!! ISLAMIC HATRED OF JEWS

pixpicws ( ) posted Fri, 15 February 2008 at 2:15 AM

Depends on how you promote your storefront.  If you just leave it up to people finding your items through a broad search query well good luck on that.  You can start out with the free one and give it a try to see if you should bump up to a paid store if you can generate sales .    Just grab the templates they have and match your works to them and give a few items a shot.  Think most are 200dpi then the various sizes per item.  Doesn't hurt to give it a shot anyways with the free one.

Orchid_Noir ( ) posted Fri, 15 February 2008 at 7:48 AM

I like Printfection.com a LOT more than I do CafePress. (only ever had one little item sell at CP)

There is no "premium vs. free" shop, they are all full feature and they are all free.
The print quality on the dark apparel is much better and much more consistant
more control over image placement on products
GREAT search engine response  that DOES bring in sales.

still a new company, so still working on a lot behind the scenes
image storage system is not foldered yet, so it's a huge list of all images right now
nowhere near as many different products... yet.

(and no, I get nothing for referrals, I just like the place and the way they run things. They are off to a start with an interaction and responsiveness to the shopkeepers that I really like.)

Want a shirt?

Angelouscuitry ( ) posted Fri, 15 February 2008 at 1:41 PM · edited Fri, 15 February 2008 at 1:48 PM

Thanks, I've never seen printfection.com before!  Any idea how much Shipping is on their $2 T-Shirt?

Zazzle has been around for a while, also; any vendors?

Orchid_Noir ( ) posted Fri, 15 February 2008 at 1:51 PM

Quote - Thanks, I've never seen printfection.com before!  Any idea how much Shipping is on their $2 T-Shirt?

There is another site like this too, beside cafepress.com; anyone remember what it's name is?

Very welcome!

I went back to check and my shipping was $4.99 when I got mine, we went with the slow option and still got it in like 8 days.

There is also Zazzle, but the way they were set up (the website it's self) just didn't click with me, so I can't tell you much about them.

I do alright over there at PF, especially for not having a whole lot of time to give to marketing with having a homeschooler munchkin, and all.  If you want to see mine it's just my username here tacked on the end of their base url.

Want a shirt?

drifterlee ( ) posted Fri, 15 February 2008 at 2:01 PM

Thanks all: The problem is my husband - who has a very good job but is so tight he squeaks - believes that my art and my horse are a waste of time and money because I make no money doing either. These are my only hobbies and the only things I spend money on. I always worked, but lost my job when the economy went south here in Michigan because of the recession and the downfall of the US automotive industry. We have the worst unemployment rate in the US. Being 56 does not help in the job search, either, especially since Michigan law got rid of affirmative action which made discrimination illegal. Now employers can discriminate all they want to. I have enough Poser stuff to last for years, but horses are so much a part of my life that if I have to sell him I think I will curl up and die. Really depressed here, thanks for your advice. Sherrie

Angelouscuitry ( ) posted Fri, 15 February 2008 at 2:11 PM

"If you want to see mine it's just my username here tacked on the end of their base url. "

Very nice!

drifterlee ( ) posted Fri, 15 February 2008 at 2:36 PM

Gorgeous stuff, Orchid!

Conniekat8 ( ) posted Fri, 15 February 2008 at 3:47 PM

Quote - www.cafepress.com looks like a good deal to sell prints, t-shirts etc of your art. Has anyone used this service and made any money? Thanks

Our swim team sells our team Tshirts there. It's a kind of a place where you have to bring your own audience. You can get some incidental traffic too, but they're not going to come in droves only because you put your work up there. You have to market yourself and create a following.

Hi, my namez: "NO, Bad Kitteh, NO!"  Whaz yurs?
BadKittehCo Store  BadKittehCo Freebies and product support

Conniekat8 ( ) posted Fri, 15 February 2008 at 3:59 PM

Drifterlee, if I were you, and I had a hubby like that, I'd look into selling him!
but... that wasn't the question.

Sorry about the job situation. We're being hit very hard here with the housing industry downturn, we cut staff by 2/3 in last three months. Frankly, I'm surprized I still have a job. May not be for much longer - if things keep getting worse.

Hi, my namez: "NO, Bad Kitteh, NO!"  Whaz yurs?
BadKittehCo Store  BadKittehCo Freebies and product support

Jestertjuuh ( ) posted Fri, 15 February 2008 at 4:12 PM

That printfection is quit interesting.

I did airbrush quit some t-shirts in my life, but the hasle and work it gives dont realy add up to the money you get from them.
Besides finding a good paint for them is hard, most wash out or fade in a short time.

This looks like a good solution, since I still get people asking for t-shirts with my design or there own idea's.

But I run into a question, do they ship over sea?
Like to Europe, and what are those costs?

I am not a complete idiot, some parts are missing :)

To go to my home page, click the banner below.

Check my freebies on a regular base, click the banner below.

JHoagland ( ) posted Fri, 15 February 2008 at 5:58 PM

I've used cafepress for a number of years, but Conniekat8 is right- you have to bring your own audience. In my case, I promote the fact that my artwork is available as framed prints from my website.
I've even sold a few items. :)

VanishingPoint... Advanced 3D Modeling Solutions

drifterlee ( ) posted Fri, 15 February 2008 at 8:23 PM

Well, I am looking for a real job, there just aren't any. Even teenage-type jobs are grabbed up by older, laid-off folks, There was an article in the Detroit Free Press about some laid-off 52-year-old man was dressed up like the Statue of Liberty standing by the road waving to potential customers to come in to Liberty Tax Service. He said he sent out 3 resumes a day with no results. At my age, selling my body just isn't an option, hahahahahah!

SoCalRoberta ( ) posted Fri, 15 February 2008 at 8:53 PM

I've sold a couple of things out of my CafePress store, but you do need to do all of your own advertising. I do like the quality of the stuff and the volume discount is good.

I have some stuff at Zazzle, but that site seems like it caters more  to the teen crowd.

Angelouscuitry ( ) posted Fri, 15 February 2008 at 9:06 PM

You know what I like about Printfection?  You can have a gallery, and then decide what it is you want it printed on! 

Is it me, or is this not possible at CafePress?  I think CafePress is really lame in this regard.  Like, take their Large Poster for instance; if I want to add it to mt shop I can only associate it with 1 image?  What if I want to all of my images available to be printed as a large poster?

SoCalRoberta ( ) posted Fri, 15 February 2008 at 9:29 PM

The large poster at Cafe Press is 23 x 35 inches so to look good you need your image to be 4600 x 7000 pixels. 
If you want to have one image on alot of stuff, the best size is 2000 x 2000 pixels. That will fit almost everything.

Angelouscuitry ( ) posted Fri, 15 February 2008 at 9:31 PM

Yeah, but can I offer customers any of my images, on any cafepress media; or, in seeting up my shop, am I limited to 1 image per product?

Angelouscuitry ( ) posted Fri, 15 February 2008 at 10:07 PM

I just got a reply from CafePress Support; apparently not..., it seems this is the difference between the free shop, and shop you need to pay for :sad:.

SoCalRoberta ( ) posted Fri, 15 February 2008 at 10:13 PM

In the basic shop you are limited to 50 items, no more than one of each kind of item,such as one white maternity t-shirt, one teddy bear, one baby bib, and so on.

You can have all of the items with the same image, or different images on different items.

So, for example, you might sell the organic t shirt with image 1, the large mug and the yard sign with image 2, and so on.

drifterlee ( ) posted Fri, 15 February 2008 at 10:32 PM

Thanks for the info!!

Angelouscuitry ( ) posted Fri, 15 February 2008 at 11:32 PM · edited Fri, 15 February 2008 at 11:34 PM

I'd like to think I'm really just uploading my gallery, for customers to browse and have available to apply to Media. I would never want to associate any one of my images, to any one of product; because I would want to associate each of my images to every form of media.  I think the decision of which product receives which image should lay entirely with the shopper.

I'm surprised we do'nt have this at renderosity...

SoCalRoberta ( ) posted Sat, 16 February 2008 at 12:09 AM

Well, you could offer your images on every product and let the buyer chose.  I think your quality would suffer though.

Not every image is going to look great on every product. And, in my opinion, part of what is being bought is your taste in editing to what is best.

And if the image isn't the right size for the product's template it's going to look really awful.
Trust me on this one, I bought samples of my planned inventory before I opened my store. When I say awful, I mean really really awful. Blurry, jagged, just horrible.

Angelouscuitry ( ) posted Thu, 06 March 2008 at 1:09 PM · edited Thu, 06 March 2008 at 1:12 PM

file_401409.jpg

**Orchid_Noir -** Thank you again, for linking printfection; I took advantage of thier $2 T-Shirt offer, and just received my shipment.  I was'nt totally impressed by the print quality, the image I uploaded was 1900 x 1340; but the print was fairly dull, it sure was'nt glossy.  Although they made a mistake, by first having printed my image on the front of a T-Shirt, and then sent me both T-Shirts!  So, that was a nice; two custom T-Shirts, delivered, for $7!

SoCalRoberta ( ) posted Thu, 06 March 2008 at 3:01 PM

Is that the image you used?  It's really pretty :)

I think for a glossy image you wpould need an iron on decal.

Angelouscuitry ( ) posted Thu, 06 March 2008 at 3:51 PM

Yes, thank you, SoCalRoberta!  Have you ever clicked on my Signature?

This looks like iron-ons I've done myself.  I'm still not not saying it's a raw deal though, iron-ons take alot of practice; it's just as well to just pay $2(with the shirt) and insure there are no errors.  I've ruined plenty of T-Shirts, and just as many Transfer Sheets; trying to get this without errors.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.