Sun, Sep 15, 11:59 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Carrara

Welcome to the Carrara Forum

Forum Coordinators: Kalypso

Carrara F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 07 1:44 am)

Visit the Carrara Gallery here.

Carrara Free Stuff here.

Visit the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Dismembered Guinea Pig needs help!

BlackSpartan ( ) posted Sat, 23 February 2008 at 1:21 AM · edited Sun, 15 September 2024 at 11:49 PM

file_400554.jpg

Okay, folks... I've gone brain-dead.

Duplicate with Symmetry: There's a procedure for combining the resulting halves, and I've killed Carrara dead more than once trying to get it to put the two halves into the same "object" so I can get them into the modelling room at the same time. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

I'm going to get off my soapbox now, and let you get back to your day

bwtr ( ) posted Sat, 23 February 2008 at 4:12 AM

file_400559.jpg

Duplicate with symetry is in the Assembly Room, not the Vertex Room.

bwtr

BlackSpartan ( ) posted Sat, 23 February 2008 at 5:39 AM

That was the part I had straight. The part about joining them back together after it was duplicated that's been given me headaches.

The rifles in my last thread were built like this, and I can't figure out how I did it. One half of the device, Duplicated with Symmetry, and then positioned together. There is a way to get them to react as one object when you go back to the Modelling room, and they can be welded together or what have you.

MarkBremmer ( ) posted Sat, 23 February 2008 at 10:52 AM

Hi BlackSpartan,

To do what you are describing, you actually need to perform the duplication within the Vertex Room and then do your welding while still in there.

What you and BWTR are focusing on is the function in the Assembly Room - it's the same function EXCEPT that it creates two different objects when used in the Assembly Room.

If it's any comfort, you're not the first person to have done something and then not quite remembered how you did it. I'm not saying that I've done that before, no, not me. Nope, not at all.

BlackSpartan ( ) posted Sat, 23 February 2008 at 11:54 AM

LOL

Thanks, Mark. Off to go weld the poor thing together :)

BlackSpartan ( ) posted Sat, 23 February 2008 at 2:10 PM

file_400582.jpg

Here we are...

bwtr ( ) posted Sat, 23 February 2008 at 9:06 PM

Then, in my alternative, in the Assembly Room, use Boolean Union?
(More ways to skin the cat!)

bwtr

BlackSpartan ( ) posted Sat, 23 February 2008 at 9:25 PM

Quote - Then, in my alternative, in the Assembly Room, use Boolean Union?
(More ways to skin the cat!)

Didn't work. That's why I was beating my head against the wall. I thought that's what I'd done before(albeit with a much, much lower-count mesh), and I got several boolean errors before it finally refused to even preview render it and crashed. An attempt to Group them resulted in a similiar, but more spectacular failure.

I wish I had gotten a screenshot of it, now that I think about it. Was kinda funny.

bwtr ( ) posted Sat, 23 February 2008 at 9:40 PM

Strange. I had just done a test exercise to make sure I was not making a mistake.
But, I was using C6?

bwtr

BlackSpartan ( ) posted Sat, 23 February 2008 at 9:54 PM

I have C6Pro that I use for modelling, and not much else, tbh. I have 3D Basics 2 around here somewhere, and Xpress... But I use C6Pro.

bwtr ( ) posted Sat, 23 February 2008 at 10:14 PM · edited Sat, 23 February 2008 at 10:15 PM

file_400604.jpg

Strange! I just did it again! C6Pro.

bwtr

BlackSpartan ( ) posted Sat, 23 February 2008 at 10:26 PM

file_400606.jpg

A standard Carrara Sphere grand total is about 3000 polys. The combined Guinea Pig is more than 25,000. That *may* have something to do with it.

bwtr ( ) posted Sat, 23 February 2008 at 11:30 PM

I was using a half sphere made in the Vertex Room. I have tried bumping it's vertex count WAY up but  it still booleans ok?
Be interesting to analyse your file if you want to PM me. Wait for a comment from Mark perhaps?
Brian

bwtr

BlackSpartan ( ) posted Sun, 24 February 2008 at 12:16 AM

Fortunately for me, the two thoughts there aren't mutually exclusive. You've Got Mail :)

sfdex ( ) posted Sun, 24 February 2008 at 10:52 AM

Cool Guinea Pig model!  I hope we get to see what he looks like with fur.  

- Dex

BlackSpartan ( ) posted Mon, 25 February 2008 at 9:29 PM

Not sure yet, on the fur thing. I'm trying to avoid adding any more polys to the base model. I may make a conforming hair after, though. Not quite to that point yet.

bwtr ( ) posted Mon, 25 February 2008 at 9:55 PM

The poly size of your pig is quite small. It should not be any problem, at all, with further work like hair in Carrrara I would suggest.

bwtr

BlackSpartan ( ) posted Mon, 25 February 2008 at 10:34 PM

She's better than 25k polys as she is... I don't want to go more than 40k all the way around. If I could have done it under 12k, that would have made me very happy.

That said, I may try the Carrara hair.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.