Wed, Sep 18, 1:55 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 7:39 am)

Subject: What files are *Not* needed in Poser 7 (bum etc?)

graphicsguy ( ) posted Tue, 26 February 2008 at 3:50 PM · edited Sat, 17 August 2024 at 5:04 PM

Hi - I remember when installing a lot of poser content, from many sites, that I use the "Poser All Versions" option, and was wondering if that installed unneccessary files for P7, eg .bum (?) files etc?

Question is, what files can I search for and safely delete from my runtime, running P7?  I have a feeling there's gigs of redundant files that are needed by daz studio and P4-6 that I can get rid of ... can someone tell me what files I can safely delete and run all my models fine from within P7?

thanks!

Angelouscuitry ( ) posted Tue, 26 February 2008 at 4:36 PM · edited Tue, 26 February 2008 at 4:38 PM

.BUMs are Bump Map files.  Which can be converted into .JPG, and then still used in the Bump Channel.  I think you just need to change the extension of the file, and then apply the new file, within the material room.

You can look for .RSRs, which have been replaced by .PNG; so many products, for a while, offered both.  Unless....a product only offered .RSR, in which case you'd be deleting your only library thumbnail.

Keith ( ) posted Tue, 26 February 2008 at 11:24 PM

Quote - .BUMs are Bump Map files.  Which can be converted into .JPG, and then still used in the Bump Channel.  I think you just need to change the extension of the file, and then apply the new file, within the material room.

You can look for .RSRs, which have been replaced by .PNG; so many products, for a while, offered both.  Unless....a product only offered .RSR, in which case you'd be deleting your only library thumbnail.

If you've opened that directory in the library, however, Poser automatically makes .PNGs for the files (if an .RSR is present), so the .RSRs become redundant and can be safely deleted.

What I do from time to time (if I've recently installed a bunch of content) is do a search for .RSRs in my libraries.  if any show up, I see what directories they are in, run the Poser library to them (don't even have to load anything, just open the library), then delete them.

graphicsguy ( ) posted Wed, 27 February 2008 at 6:57 AM

Thanks - that's good to know re .rsrs ... any others that can be deleted?   It would be good to free up some space, particularly for files that are needed and installed for P4-6 but not P7, to remove, to save hard drive space...

Daymond42 ( ) posted Wed, 27 February 2008 at 11:12 AM

The biggest difference for you is probably going to be converting *.BUM files to JPG

*.BUM files are actually *.BMP which is not compressed, so change the extension to BMP, and then load the file into the image editing program of your choice, and save it out as a JPG. Remember that you'll need to change the reference of the BUM file in the CR2 or whatever file it is that is referencing the BUM file, or else it'll do its long "lag o' death" before asking you where the old file is.

But yeah, you can delete the RSR files, too. I routinely do that, myself.

Currently using Poser Pro 2012 (Display Units = feet)

AMD Phenom II 3.2ghz (6 cores)

8gb RAM

Windows 10 Pro 64bit

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.