Sun, Oct 6, 2:27 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Carrara

Welcome to the Carrara Forum

Forum Coordinators: Kalypso

Carrara F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 29 9:32 am)

Visit the Carrara Gallery here.

Carrara Free Stuff here.

Visit the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: What I would like to see in the next version!

Dennis445 ( ) posted Mon, 25 February 2008 at 8:43 PM · edited Sun, 06 October 2024 at 2:17 PM

I don't do allot of modeling in Carrara mostly import models I made in other apps.

I have few people as hobbyist that I have introduced to Carrara (mag offer) and am giving tutorials to, to help them better understand 3D.

I do understand the functions of Carrara but have a hard time using some of them because it is allot different then the other apps I use.

It would be nice if Carrara integrated its different modeling room into the Assembly room or at least integrate all the modeling tools in to one modeller room with layers its a pain to have to switch back and forth for basic tasks.

I have been working on an animation for several months that is using the Carrara render engine and would like to also build my model in Carrara as well but find it is limiting in many ways because of this.

Anyone else find the work flow limiting because of this?

Tashar59 ( ) posted Mon, 25 February 2008 at 10:16 PM

Yes, I can't stand the modeling workflow of Carrara. I used Hexagon until Daz screwed up Hex 2.2. Even Wings 3D, a free modeling app has a better workflow to it than Carrara.

I use Carrara for some renderings that I can't use Vue for but I model most stuff now in Modo.

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Tue, 26 February 2008 at 3:37 AM

Hex 2.3 is coming out in a month.

www.youtube.com/user/ShawnDriscollCG

Tashar59 ( ) posted Tue, 26 February 2008 at 4:49 AM

I will believe that when it happens and hope it works. It was an easy modeler to use.

Modo 302 is suppose to be out about then too. Maybe 64 bit, well, hoping it's 64 bit. LOL

sfdex ( ) posted Tue, 26 February 2008 at 1:37 PM

Maybe it's because I've been a user of this code since it was RayDream, and it's what I learned 3D on (though I now do use C4D and Lightwave), but I find the different rooms easy to use.  Yeah, I can see how it's annoying to not have certain tools in the Spline modeler that exist in the Vertex modeler, but since I'm kinda wired for this workflow, it doesn't bother me.  I just know what I can do in one modeler versus another.

That said, there are a lot of things I'd love to have in C7.  One would be external geometry reference.  Similar to how AfterEffects works -- it doesn't store a complete version of every layer you have within the AE project, but rather references the external file.  That way, the AE projects don't get enormous.  The project I'm currently working on has some gargantuan Carrara files because Carrara has to copy the entire model into the .car file.  Alas, I doubt this will be implemented, though, because I'm sure it's a major rewrite of the code to make it happen.

Overall, I'm really happy with the additions to C6P.  It's a remarkable piece of software, particularly when you consider its price.

- Dex

Dennis445 ( ) posted Tue, 26 February 2008 at 6:53 PM

I like Carrara but based on price (full price 549.00) you can get XSI for 495.00 with Metal Ray, I started with Raydream designer 4.0 as part of Corel Draw and I dont recall it having rooms for modeling.

I think maybe the issue I am having with the different rooms is that this software is gear more for novists or begginers as not to confuse them with all the tools at once.

I think that maybe it should have user levels for example if your new to 3D add the rooms if your not combine all the rooms into the main interface.

sfdex ( ) posted Tue, 26 February 2008 at 11:59 PM

You're right, as I recall RayDream didn't have rooms, per se, but there were individual modelers.  RayDream 3D, which is what I started with only had the splne modeler, but it was called something else -- freeform, maybe?  The Vertex modeler was a different sub-program, one that had its own set of tools and workspace.  They just didn't call it a room.

Hadn't thought of the price comparison to XSI.  Of course, I haven't paid full price for years; just upgrade prices, and DAZ practically gave me C6P, and I'm not complaining.

Yes, I'd also agree that Carrara is more geared toward inexperienced 3D folks; as I recall, the mission of RayDream was to bring 3D art capabilities to everyone.  And Carrara stays accessible for casual users.

Interesting idea about different levels.

- Dex

pauljs75 ( ) posted Wed, 27 February 2008 at 12:43 AM

I find the modeler ok for some adjustments, but yeah it's not the best thing. Wings3D will probably be great for beginners. Considering you're using the magazine deal to introduce people to 3D - the price of Wings3D for use as a complementary program should make them happy.

(BTW, I've been used to modeling in one program and rendering in another since I got into Bryce 4. It's not always a bad thing if a program isn't a jack of all trades provided that the core functionality is easy to use and relatively powerful.)

Barbequed Pixels?

Your friendly neighborhood Wings3D nut.
Also feel free to browse my freebies at ShareCG.
There might be something worth downloading.

Dennis445 ( ) posted Wed, 27 February 2008 at 11:07 AM

sfdex I think your right about RayDream I haven't used it in such a long time I forgot about the modeling functions in it.

pauljs75 I use several apps myself, I guess my frustration is I am showing some people how to create thier own objects in Carrara but am fumbling around because I am use to the work flow in Modo, Lightwave or Truespace.

Im not complaining about C6 I purchased it for very little as well, would just like to see some of the core features modified for advanced users.

intro ( ) posted Mon, 03 March 2008 at 10:05 PM

So glad to see so many RD heads out there. I also started out with RD4.
 As such, Carrara's traits(rooms and what not) feel natural to me. But when I first got Carrara, I would always model in RD4 and import. As I (barely) recall RD4 had different modelers other than spline. Perhaps Carrara won't totally run with the High-end apps, but whenever I look at a Maya manual, I just about go skitzo.

Nobody's ever going to mistake my work for something from Lucas Arts. But I'm in this for FUN and only FUN. Carrara delivers that in spades and the only limitations I've found in it are mostly my own. I just wish they'd hurry up with the boxed version. I hate not having a book.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.