Sun, Sep 15, 12:07 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 15 7:04 am)

Subject: displacement maps... how do I do it?

cujoe_da_man ( ) posted Tue, 26 February 2008 at 11:33 PM · edited Sun, 15 September 2024 at 12:03 PM

I've searched everywhere for tuts and such on this subject, but everything I find is either done in P5 and out dated or it just doesn't work.  I've followed a bunch of tips and such, but I just can't seem to make displacement maps work, they don't show up in a final render even though the preview in the mat lab shows it, what am I doing wrong and/or how do I make it work?

Acadia ( ) posted Wed, 27 February 2008 at 12:39 AM

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showthread.php?thread_id=2722867

Have you looked at that thread? There is a section called "How Do I" that covers displacement maps too.

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

bantha ( ) posted Wed, 27 February 2008 at 12:39 AM

file_400820.jpg

If you have connected a map to the displacement channel, the displacement should show up. Have you enabled displacement in the FireFly-render settings? The default render setting disable displacement.

A ship in port is safe; but that is not what ships are built for.
Sail out to sea and do new things.
-"Amazing Grace" Hopper

Avatar image of me done by Chidori

cujoe_da_man ( ) posted Wed, 27 February 2008 at 1:43 AM

well hot damn, I didn't even notice that option in the settings, thanks for that.

and thanks Acadia for the thread, I didn't know that one existed, only searched for "displacement maps" :P

Angelouscuitry ( ) posted Wed, 27 February 2008 at 4:40 PM
cujoe_da_man ( ) posted Wed, 27 February 2008 at 4:58 PM

ooo, and here I thought black and white were mainly for trans maps, awesome :D

Angelouscuitry ( ) posted Wed, 27 February 2008 at 6:42 PM · edited Wed, 27 February 2008 at 6:43 PM

And watch out for %50Gray, as it will still cause movement; which is what that Math Function neutralizes.  Actually the Math_Functions should be 1, and -1; rather than 1, and -.5.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Wed, 27 February 2008 at 8:35 PM

No! Careful.

The numerical value of mid-gray is .5. That's why we subtract .5 - so that mid-gray equals zero.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

bagginsbill ( ) posted Wed, 27 February 2008 at 8:37 PM · edited Wed, 27 February 2008 at 8:37 PM

Perhaps you wanted 2 and -1? So that WHITE = 1x and BLACK = -1x?

That would work.

Then a .2 in the Displacement field would be exactly .2 inches when you have WHITE and BLACK.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

Zanzo ( ) posted Wed, 27 February 2008 at 8:49 PM

Zbrush makes really nice displacement maps, if you want to get into modeling/sculpting.

Angelouscuitry ( ) posted Wed, 27 February 2008 at 10:47 PM

:a_cry: Woops!  Whistles! :

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.