Tue, Oct 22, 12:43 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 22 12:41 am)

Subject: sketch renders

whoopy2k ( ) posted Sun, 24 February 2008 at 8:22 PM · edited Tue, 22 October 2024 at 12:37 AM

Is there a trick to making your hair (in this case, strand based) show up in a sketch render?  I'm using poser 7.  I'm enjoying the sketch render  option but it looks like it is just rendering the preview window, leaving behind shadows, hair color, etc.

Don ( ) posted Sun, 24 February 2008 at 9:28 PM

Attached Link: http://www.daz3d.com/i.x/shop/artistlist/-/?cat=&artist=2599&startitem=24

The Sketch Design feature does not work well with any transparency related item... hair, clothes, etc. The render engine only renders what it can "see." This is so in any version of Poser since P4.

However, there are still ways to compensate for this. Take a look at the promo renders for my commercial SD sets at DAZ at this link. The Tutorial that comes with all sets explains how to do 2 kinds of SD styles from the same preset. It is the most comprehensive SD tutorial available.

Try using HR2 files rather than CR2 hair or strand-based. You can still get some awesome effects as good as any of the fancier hair in regular type renders.

Good luck!
-3Don

whoopy2k ( ) posted Sun, 24 February 2008 at 11:38 PM

I'll give that a look.  For now the hair looks much better when "show populated" is turned on.  I'm using SVDL's script for that (http://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showthread.php?message_id=3127147&ebot_calc_page#message_3127147).   It doesn't fix the color issue but is isn't quite as spotty.  Any thoughts on the shadows?

midnight_stories ( ) posted Mon, 25 February 2008 at 6:01 AM

file_400703.jpg

The only way I found to do it is to avoid transparency all together you just have to find hair geometry that doesn't need transparency. Sucks but that's the only option.

SamTherapy ( ) posted Mon, 25 February 2008 at 9:35 AM

If you are absolutely serious about needing sketch type images from Poser, a much better solution is to take the images into Photoshop and use filters and effects.  There are several good packages available in the Marketplace which can help. 

Those, a little patience and a bit of imagingation will get you much better results than in Poser alone.

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

Don ( ) posted Mon, 25 February 2008 at 11:07 AM

Sketch Design styles and Photoshop filters are two very different effects. PS filters give a 2D render look and are more flat. SD renders over a 3D simulated surface, allowing style lines to curver around the 3D model and follow its form.

Try 2 similar sketch styles in PS and Poser SD and note the results.

Too, the SD preset styles in Poser 6 and 7 are the same stock ones found since Poser 4. Those stock styles are rather crude. Some are prone to edge/outline funkiness. This flaw has been eliminated in my SD products.

midnight_stories ( ) posted Mon, 25 February 2008 at 3:47 PM

If you really want to use the sketch render on the hair you will have to do it in poser 4, render you image normally save the picture. Then clear the scene import it in as a background picture and use the sketch render and play with the background settings bit primitive but it works. Don't be too hard on the sketch render it's because people haven't sat down and got into the setting and understand what they do. It's not a point and click thing. After a week of playing with it I'm just starting to get some results it all depends on how hard you work at it.

CuriousGeorge ( ) posted Mon, 25 February 2008 at 6:01 PM

I think sketch render is one of the things I like most about poser.  Especially the script export function.  That is truly a wonderful, wonderful thing.

midnight_stories ( ) posted Mon, 25 February 2008 at 8:09 PM

Yes painter gives you several more style and strokes. I agree

raven ( ) posted Wed, 27 February 2008 at 7:59 PM

I would render the picture normally (Firefly or P4 renderer), export it, and then apply it as a texture to the single-sided square prop. Then sketch render the square prop. That's if you want to do it all in Poser.

Don ( ) posted Wed, 27 February 2008 at 8:44 PM

One can also render normally, export the image and then import as a background picture before applying a SD style. That can also be done with photos.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.