Fri, Sep 20, 5:27 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 11:01 pm)

Subject: Soften glossy edge on lips Techniques?

chris1972 ( ) posted Sat, 01 March 2008 at 7:39 AM · edited Mon, 29 July 2024 at 7:02 AM

Anyone have a good technique for softening the hard edge on lips when gloss is applied in the alt specular node. Ive tried the blender math node but havent had good results, I dont know if I'm heading down the wrong path or just havent experimented enough yet.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Sat, 01 March 2008 at 7:57 AM

When I was prototyping my makeup shaders for V4 people immediately noticed this and said I needed to fix the hard transition.

So, in my opinion, the solution is to prepare a mask. You need to make a UV mapped white-on-black control map that covers the lip area. Once you have the map drawn, you need to blur the edges. Whether you blur them to extend past the lip zone, or to contract into the lip zone, that's up to you.

In any case, you then apply your lip shading technique controlled by that map. For example, plug it into the Glossy Ks so that the gloss amount fades nicely at the edge of the lip.

If you've blurred past the lip zone, into the surrounding face, you need to apply the lip gloss effect to the face, too.

For this reason, it is probably better to make a contracted mask, one that fades to 0 before extending past the lip zone. That way you don't have to manage the lip shader on the face, too.

Here are some renders of the result of this technique.  Pay particular attention to the corners of the lips - you can easily see the control map at work there.

Creating control maps like this and then working out how to connect them to your shader effects can be a lot of work. That's why I'm supposed to be getting off my butt and finish my system, so you can just buy it. :)

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

chris1972 ( ) posted Sat, 01 March 2008 at 8:09 AM

Thanks bagginsbill, Your awesome!

chris1972 ( ) posted Sat, 01 March 2008 at 9:09 AM

file_401020.jpg

I copied the lips from my spec map, blurred the edges, and threw in a black background, it worked perfectly, Thanks again

bagginsbill ( ) posted Sat, 01 March 2008 at 9:58 AM

Very nice!

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.