Sun, Oct 6, 6:55 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photoshop

Welcome to the Photoshop Forum

Forum Moderators: Wolfenshire, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photoshop F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 10:49 pm)

Our mission is to provide an open community and unique environment where anyone interested in learning more about Adobe Photoshop can share their experience and knowledge, post their work for review and critique by their peers, and learn new techniques while developing the skills that allow each individual to realize their own unique artistic vision. We do not limit this forum to any style of work, and we strongly encourage people of all levels and interests to participate.

Are you up to the challenge??
Sharpen your Photoshop skill with this monthly challenge...

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Question about working with flattened 3D skin templates.

MillaCat ( ) posted Mon, 03 March 2008 at 3:17 PM · edited Thu, 01 August 2024 at 8:05 AM

Attached Link: My Flickr Photos

Hi peeps,

I found this site while looking for an eyebrow brush for photoshop. But, I am a novice at this so I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction.
I'm trying to create skin textures for a 3d on-line community. (Second Life, if anyone's familiar) I have a base template, ready to go, but I want to add different makeup and eyebrows to create a variety of looks.
I'm seeing all kinds of beautiful stuff on this site, but not sure if any of it can be used with the templates I have. They are specific to the avatar froms used in Second Life, and cannot really be adjusted.  I've attached the link to my flick page which shows what these avatars can potentially look like.

any help or advice would be mucho appreciated~!
thanks

Angelouscuitry ( ) posted Mon, 03 March 2008 at 7:44 PM · edited Mon, 03 March 2008 at 7:48 PM

From within photoshop any photo will do; even Texture Maps for other UV Maps(flattened 3D skin templates.)  Basically what you'll be doing opening the template, in photoshop.  Now make a useless selection, and  click Select > Modify > Feather; then change the feather to about 5 pixels. If you'd made a good selection, before you changed the Feather, the selection would have changed; now you'll get what you select, at the feather we want.  Selecting the Lasso tool, and draw around  where you think the nose is(over the template.)  Nose click Select > Save Selection; and name it Nose.  Now save this file somewhere important.  You're going to save a lot of these selections, and use them over and over; for Second Life.  Now open the photo you want to make into a Second Skin Texture.  Click Select > All, and then Edit > Copy.  Now select the Second Skin Map.  Click Select > All, and Edit > Paste.  Then you're going to make the new layer's opacity %50; and then use the hit Ctrl-T(The Free Transform Tool) to resize the image so that just the nose is same size/shape as the template underneath.  Now click Select > Load Selection, and choose the Nose selection you saved; but put a check in the Invert checkbox, before you click OK.  Now hit the Delete key, on your keyboard.  Everything on the layer, but the nose, should Clear; and the edge of what's left(the nose) should be a sharp edge, it should fade into Transparent somewhat slowly.  Now change the Opacity of that layer back to %100.  And repeat this whole process for all the other feature of the face; from as many photos as you can!  Sometimes you can use two texture to get a nose, just make sure the bottom one is at %100 Opacity, and the top one is %50; to have half of each photo show through(not %50 Opacity on each.)

MillaCat ( ) posted Mon, 03 March 2008 at 11:17 PM

Whoa....ok, clearly this is going to take more practice on my part. Thank you so much for the detailed info. The 'skin' in and of itself, is done......so I'm trying to work out how to create the details of makeup around the eyes in the flattened template. I can do some free hand drawing but it's tedius and I'm just not that good at it.
Are there any sites that offer brush plug-ins for photoshop?  I see the eyebropws here....and the makeups are beautiful.... but I don't want to copy them per say...just need a springboard to help me make my own stuff.
Any other in-put I will gratefully accept. 

jerr3d ( ) posted Tue, 04 March 2008 at 5:36 PM

you may already know this, the Poser models you see here use really high resolution textures. I would guess Second Life uses much smaller files since the models need to move in real time. But who knows, maybe Poser 12 will feature a "Online Virtual Community" which we can populate with our favorite Poser figures and outfits!!!

MillaCat ( ) posted Wed, 05 March 2008 at 7:01 AM

Hi jerr39,

Yes, that did occur to be. Textures in second life are going to look better if they are uploaded in a 16bit format. That is exactly the case. Having a 3d avatar that moves and interacts in a #D world requires a LOT of memory and very carefully thought out texture applications.

What I need, is to work on patience so I can become a better artist in photoshop. I was so hoping to find some kind of brush template or pre-drawn patterns to work from.... Perhaps I just need to learn a bit more about Poser 12 ~!!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.