Fri, Oct 25, 1:22 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photography

Welcome to the Photography Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photography F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 12:22 pm)

Subject: HDR in CS2 problem

viper ( ) posted Sun, 02 March 2008 at 7:04 PM · edited Thu, 24 October 2024 at 11:16 PM

Well I wanted to experiment with HDR on a image I took yesterday. I loaded up 12 different images at various exposures and as CS2 is compiling them it tells me there is "not enough dynamic range to create a file" How much more of a range does it want or am I missing something.

DaveDavis ( ) posted Sun, 02 March 2008 at 7:33 PM

Hey Viper,
I just thought to myself, Oh, I can do this, ha ha  mine failed with the exact error.
I did a quick search and found this - much better image example then what I chose.

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/high-dynamic-range.htm

I'll try again after I finish my current project.. Yell at me if you find something better yourself.

Ciao
Dave

gradient ( ) posted Sun, 02 March 2008 at 7:37 PM

A few questions;

1. How are your "different" exposures set up?......Are they bracketted?  ie, +3.0Ev, +2.5, +2, +1.5, +1,+0.5, 0,  -0.5, -1, -1.5, -2, -2.5, -3.0Ev....I know that gives me 13 exp...but you know what I mean...
  2. 12 RAW files into CS2 to create an HDR will require a lot of memory/horsepower...are you sure that's not the problem?( although your error message says otherwise)....Usually a 5 exposure bracket 2 up, 2 down and one even, will do just fine.

In youth, we learn....with age, we understand.

short_ribs ( ) posted Mon, 03 March 2008 at 3:18 AM

I know this can happen if you try create the bracketed shots from 1 Raw file. This, I believe can be countered by deleting the exif data then manually entering in the exposure compensation values later in the HDR generating  process... Hope that's of some help.

I payed to get myself into an institution :m_tear: Check out my temporary site: APACHA

PeeWee05 ( ) posted Mon, 03 March 2008 at 6:50 AM

I've only had that problem when as Kai mentioned the bracketed shots are create from one RAW file but not actually shot on location and bracketed in camera.

Rights Come With Responsibilities VAMP'hotography Website VAMP'hotography Blog

girsempa ( ) posted Mon, 03 March 2008 at 11:17 AM · edited Mon, 03 March 2008 at 11:19 AM

I used Photoshop CS2's Merge to HDR function a few times last week. Each time I only used two RAW exposures with one full stop difference between the two, and it worked flawless.

Question: where your files shot in RAW and converted to 16 bit..?

We do not see things as they are. ǝɹɐ ǝʍ sɐ sƃuıɥʇ ǝǝs ǝʍ

viper ( ) posted Mon, 03 March 2008 at 6:02 PM

Files where shot in raw, I used one raw file and changed the exposure in lightroom then exported them out as 16bit tiffs

gradient ( ) posted Mon, 03 March 2008 at 8:17 PM

@viper...looks like you've got your answer...using one RAW with changed exposures will give you a "pseudo" HDR with progs like Photomatix...obviously CS2 doesn't like it.

In any event, if you want to get the best dynamic range you will need to bracket your RAW's with the cam...then create your HDR from that bracketted series.

In youth, we learn....with age, we understand.

viper ( ) posted Mon, 03 March 2008 at 8:54 PM

Thanks, going to play bracketing this weekend.

Quote - @viper...looks like you've got your answer...using one RAW with changed exposures will give you a "pseudo" HDR with progs like Photomatix...obviously CS2 doesn't like it.

In any event, if you want to get the best dynamic range you will need to bracket your RAW's with the cam...then create your HDR from that bracketted series.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.