Fri, Jul 19, 12:53 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Jul 19 11:16 am)

Subject: OT: Gary Gygax Has Passed Away

jaybutton ( ) posted Tue, 04 March 2008 at 3:35 PM · edited Mon, 15 July 2024 at 5:44 AM

Gary Gygax, cocreator of Dungeons and Dragons, has passed away.

Here is a link to the CNN story . . .
http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/03/04/obit.gygax.ap/index.html

Like many us, I have enjoyed many great games of D&D.  He will be missed.

Jay Button

dvlenk6 ( ) posted Tue, 04 March 2008 at 3:41 PM

I hadn't seen that.
I've been playing D&D none stop since the 1st release of it...
The World of Greyhawk was a big inspiration to me.

Friends don't let friends use booleans.

lkendall ( ) posted Tue, 04 March 2008 at 3:48 PM

3/4/08

Sad to hear.

LMK

Probably edited for spelling, grammer, punctuation, or typos.

evilded777 ( ) posted Tue, 04 March 2008 at 3:55 PM

oh... wow... total bummer.

RIP Gary, and thank you man.

pjz99 ( ) posted Tue, 04 March 2008 at 3:57 PM

See, if he'd played a Monk he'd have had a better save vs. death.

My Freebies

Angelouscuitry ( ) posted Tue, 04 March 2008 at 5:50 PM

Wow, thanks!

Latexluv ( ) posted Tue, 04 March 2008 at 5:57 PM

Wow! Sorry to hear about his passing. His creation has influenced so many people through time, from kids to adults, artists to writers. He'll be missed!

"A lonely climber walks a tightrope to where dreams are born and never die!" - Billy Thorpe, song: Edge of Madness, album: East of Eden's Gate

Weapons of choice:

Poser Pro 2012, SR2, Paintshop Pro 8

Letterworks ( ) posted Tue, 04 March 2008 at 6:20 PM

Sad news indeed! D&D was my introduction to F2F RPGing and, altho I moved on to Traveller for the Sci-Fi, we kept a D&D campaign going for years because the wives found it more enjoyable to play that the "guns and spaceships" type. Funny how this, the first RPG, was attractive to members of  both genders, while most of the following seemed only attractive to males...

mike

Marque ( ) posted Tue, 04 March 2008 at 7:21 PM

I know of at least 23 females who play. They just don't advertise it...unlike the males who play females do to get freebies...lol
We who play owe this man a great debt, I have whiled away many an hour in some deep dank dungeon enjoying myself immensly.

dvlenk6 ( ) posted Tue, 04 March 2008 at 7:55 PM

I'm a DM. I have had a party of 6 for about 2 years that is all women players.
4 of the characters are female, 2 male.

Friends don't let friends use booleans.

Cage ( ) posted Wed, 05 March 2008 at 12:13 AM

I would roll a twenty-sided die in his honor... if I still had one.  Bummer.  :(

===========================sigline======================================================

Cage can be an opinionated jerk who posts without thinking.  He apologizes for this.  He's honestly not trying to be a turkeyhead.

Cage had some freebies, compatible with Poser 11 and below.  His Python scripts were saved at archive.org, along with the rest of the Morphography site, where they were hosted.

RealDeal ( ) posted Wed, 05 March 2008 at 2:06 AM

I've been thinking on this for a few hours, how Gygax influenced aspects of the world.
It could be easily said that he started modern gaming; Chainmail & D&D are in the background of every role playing game; some of the first Computer games were D&D based, which influenced not only all following computer & video games, but also the demand for personal computers in the first place. I've lost track of how many people I know got involved in programming due to D&D.
Some of the very earliest traffic on arpanet, which evolved into the internet, was Fantasy Role Playing and adventure gaming.
How many people signed up for AOL or Compuserve to play online RPG's obviously based on D&D? how much did that effect the development of both the internet and modern MMORPG's?
AND, while Fantasy art was around before Gary, How much would there have been without the D&D spawned books, magazines, games, movies, etc? Throw that in with his influence on personal Computers & the Internet, and you have a argument that Mr. Gygax is directly responsible for Renderosity.
Regardless, I know that I could cite Mr. Gygax as the reason I have 3 wonderful kids; I met their mom in a Gaming store.

byAnton ( ) posted Thu, 06 March 2008 at 1:34 AM · edited Thu, 06 March 2008 at 1:34 AM

Damn, where's a cleric when you need one. Sad news.

We used to play is high school. Many great memories. D&D, like LOTR, shaped the future of fantasy. I know D&D and those Monster Manuals shaped many Poser items like this one, which I first every saw in a D&D book.

I think much of early Poser fantasy clothing, sets, and creatures harken back to D&D

-Anton, creator of Apollo Maximus
"Conviction without truth is denial; Denial in the face of truth is concealment."

Over 100,000 Downloads....

bantha ( ) posted Fri, 07 March 2008 at 1:14 AM

Sad news indeed. I played RPGs for most of my life (mostly as DM). It wasn't always D&D, but then D&D wasn't always Gygax. He started the whole thing, I owe him much for shaping a big time of my life.
I remember playing a gnome illusionist, with a babarian in our group, all first edition of course. I had a great time.

A ship in port is safe; but that is not what ships are built for.
Sail out to sea and do new things.
-"Amazing Grace" Hopper

Avatar image of me done by Chidori

Barwickian ( ) posted Fri, 07 March 2008 at 5:43 AM

Most of my hobbies, and perhaps some of my professional abilities as well, owe something to Gygax. Gaming (both tabletop and computerised) is the obvious one. But his influence also helped focus my burgeoning interest in history and archaeology. And I first got into 3D artwork to illustrate characters. :)

My ability to write, from which I've made my living for nearly 20 years, was initially cut by the need to write understandable scenarios.

Gary Gygax, rest in piece.

Andy Staples
The Penultimate HârnPage -- www.penultimateharn.com

Tiny ( ) posted Fri, 07 March 2008 at 7:17 AM

Sad news indeed.

In the mid 80's I was a DM. We'd gather at my place and play whole weekends, 7 of us, lots of snacks, sodas, pizzas, sleeping bags and D&D. I used to spend days modeling scenarios before hand using all kind of materials. That was so much fun! 😄🆒

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.