Mon, Sep 16, 12:03 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Vue

Welcome to the Vue Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, TheBryster

Vue F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 14 4:17 pm)

Subject: 1-way mirror "trick"

diolma ( ) posted Wed, 12 March 2008 at 11:37 AM · edited Tue, 03 September 2024 at 5:30 PM

file_401832.jpg

Hi all.

This has probably been done before, but if so I've not seen it:-)

I wanted to create a 1-way mirror for use in Vue.
Now, why would I want to do that? If I look from 1 side it's a mirror, from the other it's glass and I can't see both sides at once...

Except if there's another mirror behind the 1-way mirror...

In that case then anything between the two would get reflected ad-infinitum, whereas anything the other side of the 1-way wouldn't get reflected.

I couldn't find any way to do that directly in Vue, so I created a simple box prop and gave it material zones for Front, Back and Edges.
I imported this into Vue and textured it with a mirror surface on the Back and a simple glass on the Front. (The Edges don't matter, they're just opaque.)
The trick was to make the Back surface (the mirror) 1-sided. Now looking from the front, you can see through the back, but looking from the back you see reflections.
Then I put a plane behind the 1-way glass, tilted it vertical and mirrored it.

Boxed the whole thing off with planes, put some stuff between the two mirrors (red ball, some lights), added a (green) ball in front and...

Well, you can see the result. I haven't bothered to tidy it up properly..

Cheers,
Diolma

nruddock ( ) posted Wed, 12 March 2008 at 2:19 PM

Attached Link: http://science.howstuffworks.com/question421.htm

This should be possible, but it's probably going to involve using some of the more exotic function nodes.

The trick will be to simulate the "half-silvered surface" of the real thing and the lighting conditions that make the idea work (see attached link).

diolma ( ) posted Wed, 12 March 2008 at 3:06 PM · edited Wed, 12 March 2008 at 3:10 PM

Hi nruddock,

I think I'll stick with my own method. It seems to work, it doesn't involve any "exotic functions" or special lighting and it's quick'n'easy to do.

It'll be good enough for what I want to do, and I'm happy with it :-)
It does what I want it to: Doesn't reflect the green sphere (not very much, anyway - I might want to increase that a little in the glass front) and I get the semi-infinite reflections for the enclosed objects. ("Semi" infinite 'cos I only upped the no. reflections to about 15 - that was enough for this simple test.)

I only posted in case anyone else was wondering "how to". If anyone is and can't understand my somewhat terse explanation of what I've done I'll be happy to explain in better detail.

Cheers,
Diolma

sittingblue ( ) posted Wed, 12 March 2008 at 3:40 PM

Hey, that looks interesting.  Thanks for sharing.

Charles

silverblade33 ( ) posted Wed, 12 March 2008 at 5:00 PM

hm, reminds of "Pepper's Ghost" which I think is a tutorial on Bryce Tech?? :)

cool trick! :)

"I'd rather be a Fool who believes in Dragons, Than a King who believes in Nothing!" www.silverblades-suitcase.com
Free tutorials, Vue & Bryce materials, Bryce Skies, models, D&D items, stories.
Tutorials on Poser imports to Vue/Bryce, Postwork, Vue rendering/lighting, etc etc!

dlk30341 ( ) posted Wed, 12 March 2008 at 5:44 PM

Very cool - thanks for sharing :)

garyandcatherine ( ) posted Sun, 16 March 2008 at 4:16 AM

Very nifty.  Good idea and thx for sharing

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.