Tue, Oct 1, 2:30 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 30 7:03 pm)

Subject: OT which would be proper?

RedPhantom ( ) posted Fri, 14 March 2008 at 7:55 PM · edited Tue, 01 October 2024 at 2:20 PM
Site Admin

Which menorah would be prop for Chanukah? Would it matter? Also is there a proper color for the candles or the menorah?

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

Today I break my own personal record for the number of days for being alive.
Check out my store here or my free stuff here
I use Poser 13 and win 10

pakled ( ) posted Fri, 14 March 2008 at 10:55 PM

most of the ones I've seen look like the one on the left. Google it, and you should get plenty of examples...

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

AnAardvark ( ) posted Sat, 15 March 2008 at 8:02 PM

Neither. There are nine candles total on a Chanukah menora, one of which, the Shamus (servant) is distinguished by being positioned either a little higher, or lower, and either in the center or on one (usually the left) end. It is used to light the other candles. Candles are lit left to right, but the Menorah is filled right-to-left by day. If "S" is the Shamus, and "C" is an ordinary candle, and "_" is the space where a candle sits, you get the following patterns (on my Menorah)

1st day
S_______C
3rd day
S_____CCC
7th day
S_CCCCCCC

on my parents Menorah
1st day
____S___C
3rd Day
____S_CCC
7th day
_CCCSCCCC

lkendall ( ) posted Sat, 15 March 2008 at 8:31 PM

3/15/08

The menorah used in the Temple in Jerusalem had seven branches with seven oil lamps. As AnAardvark points out the Chanukah menorah has nine candles. I have seen white and blue candles used.

LMK

Probably edited for spelling, grammer, punctuation, or typos.

AnAardvark ( ) posted Sat, 15 March 2008 at 9:52 PM

My mother said that when she was growing up they had lovely red-orange candles. I've also seen various single-colored candles used, and someone out there makes gorgeous hand-dipped multi-colored candles. The ones we used the past two years are white and blue (single colored each), and the profits go to helping out elderly survivors of the Shoah. A good set of candles will have 45 in the box -- you only need 44, but it is nice to have a spare when one breaks.)

RedPhantom ( ) posted Sun, 16 March 2008 at 2:54 PM
Site Admin

Thanks all. Glad I asked. I'd hate to go through the work to find out it's wrong. Now maybe I can fix it first.

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

Today I break my own personal record for the number of days for being alive.
Check out my store here or my free stuff here
I use Poser 13 and win 10

AnAardvark ( ) posted Sun, 16 March 2008 at 3:59 PM

As a hint on making burning candles look good:

1. use postwork for the actuall candle flame.
  2. You can use the alternate diffuse driven by a math function which is 1 at the top of the candle, and 0 about a half inch lower to give the candle the glowing look.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.