Tue, Oct 1, 2:22 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 30 7:03 pm)

Subject: it's been said that posers default lights suck so...

RedPhantom ( ) posted Fri, 28 March 2008 at 11:52 PM · edited Tue, 01 October 2024 at 2:20 PM
Site Admin

...Can anyone recomend a free light set or 2 that doesn't? I'm not implying that the stuff in the freebee section sucks. I can't tell. Light and shadows have always been my downfall when it comes to art and images. I can't tell quality lights from junk. Well, maybe in the extremes. I know the lights won't be positioned for whatever scene I'm doing but moving a light is alot easier than knowing what type of light I need, and the color I need, and the amount of shadows  and you get the picture. Maybe if I start out working with something good I can get some ideas with tweeking and expiramenting with it. Any suggestions

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

Today I break my own personal record for the number of days for being alive.
Check out my store here or my free stuff here
I use Poser 13 and win 10

Acadia ( ) posted Sat, 29 March 2008 at 12:03 AM · edited Sat, 29 March 2008 at 12:05 AM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/mod/freestuff/member.php

I have one light set in my free stuff area.  I made it so that it's a bit versatile. See the readme.  They can also be for personal or commercial use.

I used it in this image:

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/index.php?image_id=1280491

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

Paloth ( ) posted Sat, 29 March 2008 at 12:07 AM

Runtime DNA has a gazillion free light sets, but you'd be better off learning how to do this stuff yourself. If you know what looks bad, you're half way to what looks right. The fact is, Poser's lights aren't top notch by modern standards and you have to work hard to fool the eye. Of course you could buy Vue (or Carrara 6) and have a go at the Global Illumination and Radiosity presets to learn what a modern renderer is capable of.

Download my free stuff here: http://www.renderosity.com/homepage.php?page=2&userid=323368

Lucifer_The_Dark ( ) posted Sat, 29 March 2008 at 3:35 AM

The default lights are indeed rubbish but no-one in their right mind ever uses them do they? Over on rdna in the forum you'll find tutorials by Olivier & bagginsbill  that help improve the lights for Poser5+ users, that's without having to download 300+ zips to find just the right light for your latest picture ;)

Windows 7 64Bit
Poser Pro 2010 SR1

vincebagna ( ) posted Sat, 29 March 2008 at 6:43 AM

Link to Acadia freestuff area -----------> Portrait Lights (P6) <----------------

Acadia, the link you posted leads the person who click to his own freestuff area :)

My Store

SeanMartin ( ) posted Sat, 29 March 2008 at 6:43 AM

The defaults are like everything else -- pose, character, cloth -- a starting point, not an end point. The whole idea in all of this is to take it beyond "one from column A and one from column B" and into an area where you build what works for you, instead of running around trying to find something someone else built that you think might work for you.

docandraider.com -- the collected cartoons of Doc and Raider

Rance01 ( ) posted Sat, 29 March 2008 at 6:44 AM

Might add, the default light set isn't always good to use in a final rendering BUT the three lights used DO light things in a way that makes it easy to pose your figures.  Different light sets for different portions of your project.  I often save the 'final' light sets to my library and then load a special pose light set just to position and pose the figures.  With a click from the library I can go back and forth until I've everything set.  Then I load and tweak my 'final' light set until I find a final 'final' light set.

I think the default lights are especially good for working in the pose studio.  Some sets I have contain a fourth light set up to shine from the back of the studio so I can see the back of my figures well.  Thinking about writing a light tutorial myself ...

Best Wishes,
Rªnce

RedPhantom ( ) posted Sat, 29 March 2008 at 8:03 AM
Site Admin

I know I need to learn to do this. This is just a starting point, kind of a reverse engineering. I pick up a lot that way. Thanks for the suggestions where to find some.

Nice image Acadia. Of course now I have to go through your gallery. But that's not a bad thing. Thanks also for the light set.

Thanks Vince for the corrected link.

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

SamTherapy ( ) posted Sat, 29 March 2008 at 9:00 AM

Quote - ...you'd be better off learning how to do this stuff yourself...

Today's winner! 👍

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

replicand ( ) posted Sat, 29 March 2008 at 9:24 AM

Reading a photography book will offer insight. After all, isn't that what we're doing? 

Acadia ( ) posted Sat, 29 March 2008 at 1:06 PM · edited Sat, 29 March 2008 at 1:08 PM

Quote - Link to Acadia freestuff area -----------> Portrait Lights (P6) <----------------

Acadia, the link you posted leads the person who click to his own freestuff area :)

Does this one work?

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/freestuff/index.php?user_id=127942

Also, here is a thread that has links for tutorials and discussions on lights:

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showthread.php?thread_id=2734086

I highly recommend the following tutorials for learning Poser 6 or 7 lights.

Poser 6 IBL Ins and outs by Olivier

A little tutorial about lighting by Olivier

Tutorial: GEL MAPS by Olivier

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

bagginsbill ( ) posted Sun, 30 March 2008 at 8:05 AM

Attached Link: Baggins Lights

Here's a free set. Read the discussion in the linked thread.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

Latexluv ( ) posted Sun, 30 March 2008 at 5:33 PM

The IBLs included in both Poser 6 and 7, also suck. Acadia's link to discussions about IBL lights is fantastic. All those links teach you about IBL in Poser, but one wishes that the IBLs included in Poser were a better starting point. Thanks bagginsbill for your free lights!

"A lonely climber walks a tightrope to where dreams are born and never die!" - Billy Thorpe, song: Edge of Madness, album: East of Eden's Gate

Weapons of choice:

Poser Pro 2012, SR2, Paintshop Pro 8

Rance01 ( ) posted Sun, 30 March 2008 at 8:41 PM

Attached Link: Shadow Lite Cam Tutorial

I've written a short tutorial for posing lights in Poser.  I hope someone finds it useful.  My hat is off to all those who's tutorials I've used in the past.  Kinda dodgy writing these things ...

This goes more to issues of where the light sources are coming and where the shadows get thrown rather than the more advanced works of Olivier, or other of the Poser Greats around here.

Best Wishes,
Rªnce

RedPhantom ( ) posted Mon, 31 March 2008 at 7:48 PM
Site Admin

Thanks for all the suggestions. Looks like I'm gonna be busy for a while.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.