Sun, Oct 6, 6:14 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 05 8:40 pm)

Subject: Hide / unhide parts of the body in a pz2 file ?

alizea ( ) posted Sun, 30 March 2008 at 12:46 PM · edited Sat, 05 October 2024 at 2:45 PM

Hi !
How can I make a pose file in order to hide or unhide some body parts for V4 ?

Thank you in advance !

Alice's and GND4's Tailor !
Check my free clothing fits : www.alizea3d.com

SamTherapy ( ) posted Sun, 30 March 2008 at 1:57 PM

Yep.  You can create a MAT pose to make the parts invisible.

The simplest way is to go to the Material Room, select the parts you want to disappear, make them transparent, then save the whole thing as a Material Collection.

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

4blueyes ( ) posted Sun, 30 March 2008 at 1:58 PM

make a text file like this and save it as a .pz2 : ------------------------- { version { number 4.01 } actor upperJaw:1 [or any other exact name of a needed part] { off } actor lowerJaw:1 [or yet another part you need to hide] { off } [etc etc] } -------------------------------- for unhiding the bodypart change OFF to ON :) hope this helps and rendo forums do not screw the file format :D Michal 4blueyes

alizea ( ) posted Sun, 30 March 2008 at 10:58 PM

Thank you both for your solutions . May I ask , wich one will render faster - I don't know how Poser manages transparent / hidden parts ?

SamTherapy ( ) posted Sun, 30 March 2008 at 11:42 PM

Hidden (as in made invisible in the Hierarchy editor) renders a little faster than transparent.  Transparencies always slow down a render, more so if you use Raytraced shadows.

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

markschum ( ) posted Mon, 31 March 2008 at 12:09 AM

If you only need to do it occassionally , just open the hierarchy editor and start clicking.

alizea ( ) posted Mon, 31 March 2008 at 5:55 AM

In fact , I would like to distribute it .

And another question : can I parent a prop to a body part ( in a pose file too ) ?

TY !

EnglishBob ( ) posted Mon, 31 March 2008 at 8:39 AM

Quote - ... can I parent a prop to a body part ( in a pose file too ) ?

It's tricky. The pose would need to be applied to the prop, because parenting is a property of the prop; but poses can't be applied to props unless they're parented. Catch 22. There is a way to apply a pose to an unparented prop, but it will only work in Poser 5 and above. Do you still want to do it? :)

lesbentley ( ) posted Mon, 31 March 2008 at 8:59 AM

Always use on/off in prefference to transparency for hiding a body part. Setting a material the 'Transparency' value to one, is not in itself suficent to make an actor comlpletly transparent, there are other settings that need to be changed like Trabsparency_Falloff, and Specular_Value, even then the actor may still cast shadows in the P4 renderer. It's much easier and simpler to use on/off. Where transparency is usefull is when you want to make part of a figure transparent and that ppart does not corispond to some body part(s), you can use Transparency in conjunction with a transparency map to make any arbitary area of your figure (or prop) transparent. Q: Can I parent a prop to a body part ( in a pose file too ) ?

You can but I'm wondering exactly what you are trying to achive. Making the prop into a smart prop may be a better solution.

If you do want to use a pose to parent a prop, here is an example of a pose that hides the chest and parents a prop named "box_1" to the head of the currently selected figure. Note that we need to use "actor box_1" and "smartparent". Of course this pose does not load the prop (though It probably could with "readScript"), the prop needs to be in the scene already.

{

version
        {
        number 3
        }

actor chest
        {
        off
        }

actor box_1
        {
        smartparent head
        }
}

lesbentley ( ) posted Mon, 31 March 2008 at 8:59 AM · edited Mon, 31 March 2008 at 9:06 AM

I'm obviously having a very bad spelling day, hope you can decipher my last post!

@ Bob,

Quote: poses can't be applied to props unless they're parented.

That's not correct, a pz2 (pose) file can be applied to un-parented props, so long as you address them as "actor", and there must be a figure in the scene (unless you save them as cm2 or lt2).

EnglishBob ( ) posted Mon, 31 March 2008 at 9:22 AM · edited Mon, 31 March 2008 at 9:24 AM

Quote - ... a pz2 (pose) file can be applied to un-parented props, so long as you address them as "actor" ...

But you have to know the name of the prop in the scene, am I right? cf box_1 above. If there are two boxes in the scene, the second will be called box_2 and the pose won't work on it. (edited to add) That's a good thought about using readscript to load the prop. I had an application for that ages ago. If only I could remember what it was, now. :)

lesbentley ( ) posted Mon, 31 March 2008 at 10:08 AM · edited Mon, 31 March 2008 at 10:19 AM

Yes Bob, you are right. A pose file for box_1 will not work on box_2 (unless "actor box_2" is included in the pz2), and vice versa. If we were applying the pose to the prop (the prop is selected), rather than the figure, we could use 'actor $CURRENT' in place of 'actor box_1', the prop would parent to the figure that is currently selected in the Figure dropdown menu. On the other hand, when we apply the pose to a figure (some part of the figure is selected), we need to specify the prop name, because Poser has no way of knowing which prop we are referring to if we use 'actor $CURRENT'.

lesbentley ( ) posted Mon, 31 March 2008 at 10:25 AM

P.S. "actor $CURRENT" only works in P5 and up,  it will not work in P4.

alizea ( ) posted Wed, 02 April 2008 at 2:49 PM

I wanted to make a pose file for BlackEyes :
I would like to put this in one pose file :

Hide the original V4 eyes - done !  by actor -leye -off
Load V3 Blackeyes-  done ! with a readscript line
Put them in the right position - I know where but I don't know how  - I didn't manage to save the pose for the prop .
Then parent the to the original eyes as you said .

Otherwise I'll just make a tutorial on "how to" !

Thank you , there are always interesting things to learn over here !

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.