Fri, Oct 25, 1:35 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photography

Welcome to the Photography Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photography F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 12:22 pm)

Subject: Question about Photoshop vs. Mouse

MGD ( ) posted Wed, 02 April 2008 at 1:04 PM · edited Fri, 25 October 2024 at 1:33 AM

Greetings,

Yeah, "Photoshop vs. Mouse" ... of course, Photoshop wins ... I knew thaaaaat.  [grin]

OK, here's my real situation ...

When I try to set a crop close to the edge of an image, something makes the cursor moves in a non-linear fashion ... the crop line will snap to either the edge of the image or to about 10 pixels from the edge (that's with the image at 66%).  ... But the crop line won't settle down in between (within that 10px area).  In order to get around this, I can increase the image zoom.  That's inconvenient because I can't see the entire cropped image at a high zoom. 

And my real questions ...

Does anyone know what's causing this ... is it windoze, the mouse driver, photoshop, ... ???

Even more important, how can I turn it off? 

Thanks ...

--
Martin

danob ( ) posted Wed, 02 April 2008 at 2:03 PM

Sometimes you may find that the crop tool won't let you define the area you want or it resamples your image after using it. This happens if you have numbers in the height, width, or resolution fields of the options bar (below the menu bar).

After selecting the crop tool, but before dragging out a crop rectangle, click the clear button on the options bar and the tool will behave normally again.

Danny O'Byrne  http://www.digitalartzone.co.uk/

"All the technique in the world doesn't compensate for the inability to notice" Eliott Erwitt

MGD ( ) posted Wed, 02 April 2008 at 2:23 PM

I see that danob suggested,

click the clear button on the options bar and the tool will behave normally again.

Thanks for the tip, but that wasn't the cause ... I had not ever used those options ... and nothing was preset there for the crop tool. 

Just in case it would have an effect (or because there was some clever, covert, secret, hidden, occult, or ... setting), I did try the clear button.  The cursor still had that ~8 px 'forbidden' zone. 

Ahhhhhhhhhh ... the mysteries of Photoshop ...

Still hoping for ...

--
Martin

girsempa ( ) posted Wed, 02 April 2008 at 2:32 PM · edited Wed, 02 April 2008 at 2:37 PM

Go to the 'View' menu, drop down to and select 'Snap To...'; follow the little right arrow and drop down to 'Document Bounds'.  If this has  a checkmark in front, your tools will 'snap' to the images' edges if you come close to them. Uncheck it to loose that snapping attitude. I have it unchecked all the time...

This is the right way to make the tools 'Snap' or 'Unsnap' to your image's edges...

We do not see things as they are. ǝɹɐ ǝʍ sɐ sƃuıɥʇ ǝǝs ǝʍ

MGD ( ) posted Wed, 02 April 2008 at 2:38 PM

I see that girsempa advised,

Go to the 'View' menu and select 'Snap To...'

... and that made me see that and some other options that I hadn't noticed. 

That was it.  ... Thanks!

--
Martin

girsempa ( ) posted Wed, 02 April 2008 at 2:51 PM

No thanks Martin...
I admit that the View menu is not the most logical place to look for this snapping behavior... You would expect this to be located somewhere in the Preferences. As you said: Ahhhhhhhhhh ... the mysteries of Photoshop ...

We do not see things as they are. ǝɹɐ ǝʍ sɐ sƃuıɥʇ ǝǝs ǝʍ

TwoPynts ( ) posted Wed, 02 April 2008 at 3:20 PM

Thanks Geert. I was sure Martin's issue was due to "Snap To", but I couldn't find it. ;']

Kort Kramer - Kramer Kreations

danob ( ) posted Wed, 02 April 2008 at 4:05 PM

Okey Dokey glad you found the solution

Danny O'Byrne  http://www.digitalartzone.co.uk/

"All the technique in the world doesn't compensate for the inability to notice" Eliott Erwitt

inshaala ( ) posted Wed, 02 April 2008 at 7:42 PM

Mouse vs Tablet - who wins? :P

"In every colour, there's the light.
In every stone sleeps a crystal.
Remember the Shaman, when he used to say:
Man is the dream of the Dolphin"

Rich Meadows Photography

TomDart ( ) posted Wed, 02 April 2008 at 10:21 PM

Rich, tablet wins hands down.  But, this from Belgium did answer my very same question.  And, for certain I would not have looked in the view menu for the answer.   I knew it was snapping to, to something but that was it.  Thanks for the info and the menu option, girsempa. Seems so simple now. 

(in uploading all the credits to PS developers are given..I wonder which one put this in the view menu?)          

Tom.

ejn ( ) posted Thu, 03 April 2008 at 2:35 AM

Never knew about the snap option...something worth giving a try.
Thanks for the input girsempa

L8RDAZE ( ) posted Thu, 03 April 2008 at 9:07 AM

Thanks for the tip. 

Hey, anyone know if its possible to CROP or set guides to a ZOOMED VIEW automatically?

Thx,
Joe

Tanchelyn ( ) posted Thu, 03 April 2008 at 12:39 PM

If you're fed up with Photoshop's irritating snap, you can set it to "none" in the view>snap to menu.

Or set to what you want to snap and hold Alt while pressing v, then n to toggle. ( the shortcut Ctrl+Shift+; is far less obvious on a non querty keyboard)

There are no Borg. All resistance is fertile.

DaveDavis ( ) posted Thu, 03 April 2008 at 2:15 PM

Sometimes when you need exact sizes - resampling, its just easier to go to Image/Resize Canvas. Make sure to unlock the background layer first tho, or your stuck with adobe's crop choice!!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.