Thu, Sep 19, 10:45 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 9:52 pm)

Subject: Copy smart prop to other side of character?

Booker5 ( ) posted Mon, 07 April 2008 at 8:42 PM · edited Thu, 19 September 2024 at 10:41 PM

Is there any easy way to copy a smart prop from one side of a character to the other?  For example if I have a smart prop bracelet for V3's left wrist is there a quick way to copy it to V3's right wrist?

Many thanks in advance!

svdl ( ) posted Mon, 07 April 2008 at 10:26 PM

Maybe not really, really fast, but there is a way.

-Load V3
-Disable inverse kinematics
-Set her in zero pose (Window->Joint Editor->Zero Figure)
-Load the bracelet on V3
-Select the bracelet
-Choose Object->Change Parent and select the UNIVERSE as parent
-In the parameter palette, replace the xTran value by its opposite, replace yRot by its opposite, and replace zRot by its opposite. The bracelet now should fit V3's other wrist.

• Choose Object-Change Parent and select the other wrist of V3
  • Save the bracelet to your props library as a smart prop.

This usually works, but it doesn't always work. Sometimes the smart prop is modeled "in place" and reversing xTran, yRot and xRot won't work. In that case, there's another option:

• Download the free S.T.O.M.P. utility by Spanki http://www.skinprops.com/ (PC only)

• Start a new empty scene

• Load the prop (NO Victoria 3 in the scene!)

• Choose File-> Export -> Wavefront .OBJ, untick all checkboxes in the save options, and select only the bracelet as the object to be exported.

• Start STOMP, and load the object file you just exported.

• Use the Mirror-X function in STOMP to mirror it

• Save the object, leave the save options as they are

• Back in Poser, load V3, disable inverse kinematics and set her in zero pose

• Import the object in Poser (File->Import->Wavefront .OBJ, and untick all checkboxes in the import options). The bracelet (in this example) will exactly fit her other wrist

• Parent the newly loaded object to V3

• Save the object as a smart prop to your props library.

The STOMP method always works, but requires the use of an external program.

Hope this helps.

The pen is mightier than the sword. But if you literally want to have some impact, use a typewriter

My gallery   My freestuff

Booker5 ( ) posted Tue, 08 April 2008 at 6:45 AM

SVDL,

That helps a lot!

Thanks for your detailed answer.

Acadia ( ) posted Tue, 08 April 2008 at 7:41 AM · edited Tue, 08 April 2008 at 7:41 AM

I just use the XYZ trans and rotate dials.  And if those don't work, I just grab the prop with the mouse and move it, then use the direct manipulation  tool (the one that gives you circles around the item that you can manipulate with the mouse) to turn it as I need to. Then I reparent to that arm.

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

Booker5 ( ) posted Tue, 08 April 2008 at 9:13 AM

Hi Acadia,

Thats what I've been doing as well.  I am working on a character that has a number of  bracelets and arm bands.  I got to wondering if there was some way to mirror duplicate props the way you can do with poses.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.