Mon, Sep 30, 7:16 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser Technical

Welcome to the Poser Technical Forum

Forum Moderators: Staff

Poser Technical F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 17 7:30 pm)

Welcome to the Poser Technical Forum.

Where computer nerds can Pull out their slide rules and not get laughed at. Pocket protectors are not required. ;-)

This is the place you come to ask questions and share new ideas about using the internal file structure of Poser to push the program past it's normal limits.

New users are encouraged to read the FAQ sections here and on the Poser forum before asking questions.

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Optimizing Poser

stagehand ( ) posted Thu, 17 April 2008 at 12:31 AM · edited Mon, 30 September 2024 at 7:12 AM

I am using Poser 7 on Windows Vista. My machine is a standard desktop with an AMD dual core processor and 3 GB of RAM. I have an under powered on board video card and have plans to upgrade it. But until I am able to do so I am wondering if there are any tips or configurations I can use to increase Poser's performance.

Things are usable as they are but I do experience a lot of clocking especially if I add multiple characters to a scene. So I'm thinking that any little bit that I can do might help.

Thanks,
stage

Vampires

markschum ( ) posted Thu, 17 April 2008 at 10:20 AM

video card has little effect on Poser rendering. The opengl will affect texture preview .
You have enough memory, just make sure your virtual memory is also sufficient.

stagehand ( ) posted Thu, 17 April 2008 at 7:39 PM

I have 3 gigs of virtual memory and 3 gigs of physical memory. Does that sound about right for Poser?

Vampires

softcris ( ) posted Tue, 29 April 2008 at 5:01 PM

I'm not expert, but lately I have asked one in the shop where they build up computers PC. He says: Virtual memory your system decides ...you should not touch that...will do any good if you change to what you think best. So I didn't.

"'you shut up!  or I'll bring democracy to your country! "
Cris Galvão aka Softcris  - www.crisgalvao.com
(or softcris, SoftCris)
Rendering since 1997 and
at Renderosity since 1999.

OS Win 8.1     64 bit

donquixote ( ) posted Tue, 20 May 2008 at 9:37 PM

stagehand, I know I'm a little late to jump in here ... but FWIW, I am using Vista as well and I have more ram than you do, and a reasonably quick 64-bit dual processor system, and I find Poser 7 slow as well, slower than any other program I use (and I use some pretty intensive stuff), and slower than previous versions of Poser. I think maybe Poser 7 is just slow -- at least on Vista.

stagehand ( ) posted Wed, 21 May 2008 at 12:50 AM

I think a lot of it is that I tend to do a lot of multitasking, having several apps open at the same time, I still do that but somehow it appears Poser is running a little quicker these days, not exactly sure why.

The things that I am really after are settings like the bucket size and some of those other adjustments. Best practice types of things.

Vampires

donquixote ( ) posted Wed, 21 May 2008 at 9:58 PM · edited Wed, 21 May 2008 at 9:59 PM

Yeah, I do too much multitasking, too, so maybe that's something to do with my problem as well. As for Poser seeming as if it is now working a little faster, maybe Vista is optimizing based on your use. It supposedly does that sort of thing over time, or so I read somewhere. I haven't noticed it yet, but then again I got so discouraged at the start (once I installed it after switching to Vista) I haven't been using Poser 7 very much lately.

As for best practices, you are likely to get better advice on that in the Poser forum, or at least I've seen that kind of thing discussed there a few times ...

Anyway, continued good luck.

stagehand ( ) posted Thu, 22 May 2008 at 12:33 AM

Cool thank you, I thought about originally posting there but seemed to be the correct forum for that sort of thing, I'm still learning.

While I was on vacation I was doing some work with Poser 6 of my laptop which has XP but only 1 GB of RAM, now there were some slow renders lol.

Vampires

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.