Mon, Sep 30, 5:36 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 30 3:32 am)

Subject: Dual Core ?

trades2cash ( ) posted Wed, 23 April 2008 at 3:54 PM · edited Mon, 30 September 2024 at 5:29 AM

Hey everyone. I have a single core 3800 amd processor but my mainboard supports Dual Core. I know that i can change the number of threads on a render, so a dual core will speed things up but will a dual core speed up simulation in the cloth room or exporting a video clip. I have poser 7 and windows vista if it matters. Thanks for any help. 

svdl ( ) posted Wed, 23 April 2008 at 4:57 PM

Multicore will not speed up the cloth room.
Exporting a video clip - yes, it will speed things up, since exporting a video clip includes rendering ieach frame.

The pen is mightier than the sword. But if you literally want to have some impact, use a typewriter

My gallery   My freestuff

trades2cash ( ) posted Wed, 23 April 2008 at 5:24 PM

Thanks for the info. I wasnt sure how it worked.

jfbeute ( ) posted Thu, 24 April 2008 at 2:33 AM

Of course it does depend if you are doing other things while it is calculating in the cloth room. If you are browsing the internet (or even playing some game) then a dual core will improve performance. One core will be calculating in the cloth room and the other core is available for other things, as long as you have enough memory available to prevent swapping. A dual core will be used completely when rendering to the extend that response from the computer can be very slow and some programs (like email) may report connection loss while using an internet connection.

As usual in computing everything is about finding the right balance. Increasing the number of cores will soon lead to another bottleneck (like not enough memory). Fixing that one will start the cycle again. You can never have enough processing capacity, memory, hard disk space, screen real estate, etc. when working in 3D.

Beware that replacing the processor may require upgrading the BIOS on the motherboard. Take care that the new processor is completely compatible with you existing hardware (including motherboard, memory, video card and power supply). The number of times I had to replace half the computer for a simple upgrade (or replacement) of one component are way beyond my capacity to remember (I don't do this for a living but do support several people). Cooling is very important. A better processor produces more heat and often heat causes many problems and these problems can be hard to trace.
Before replacing a processor first make sure you have enough memory (2 Gb). A memory upgrade has way more impact than the processor.

trades2cash ( ) posted Thu, 24 April 2008 at 5:25 PM

I would like to think both of you for your responses. They were very informative. My system is maxed out with 4 gigs of memory. It was a huge improvement when i went from 1 gig to 4 gig. Lucky for me I went to the presidents day sale a while back at Office Depot and they had the memory required for my machine half priced for that day only. I grabbed 4 1 gig sticks installed them in about ten minutes and done. And yes i agree that replacing one item only creates the need to replace something else. Once again thanks to both of you for your helpful replies. 

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.