Mon, Sep 30, 7:26 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 30 3:32 am)

Subject: Morph a door?

trades2cash ( ) posted Tue, 29 April 2008 at 5:13 PM · edited Mon, 30 September 2024 at 7:25 AM

Hello to everyone. Let me start by thanking everyone who has been so helpful to me over the past few weeks. Slowly i am progressing forward with my poser abilities. I found the tutorial on creating a morph for a simple box very useful. Here is what i am trying to achieve now. I have made a cage in blender and imported into poser. There are two components, the cage and the cage door. I chaged my origin axis for the door then i parented the door to the cage. Now i can open the door with the y rotate dial. What i am trying to do now is create a morph dial that will open and close the door. I have looked at several tutorials but i cant seem to find one that goes into detail on how to go about this. Can any one please point me in the right direction. Thanks to all.

pjz99 ( ) posted Tue, 29 April 2008 at 6:16 PM

It may be easier to convert the pair of models into a single model and rig it.  You can do it with three bones - one for the frame, and a polygon group for the frame; one placeholder bone in the middle, to make sure the door bone does not deform the frame bone (may be another way to do this but that's what comes to mind for me); and one end bone for the door itself, with Bend turned off.  Hide all the parameters for the middle bone, and all but "yRotate" (twist) for the door bone, and it becomes fairly idiot proof.  You can look at the lounger chair in my freebies for an example of this, the foot rest is rigged this way.

To make the various channels hidden, you edit the CR2 once the figure is rigged and look for the blocks of text for each bodypart, and change "hidden 0" (false) to "hidden 1" (true).  Make sure you back up the original before you start hacking around in the CR2.  Also be sure to disable Bend for the door bone, so the mesh will not deform, only rotate.

My Freebies

markschum ( ) posted Tue, 29 April 2008 at 6:26 PM

Use heirarchy editor - theres a create figure button at the bottom , just have the parent selected and it creates a new figure in the new figures folder.

You have to set bend off for each part and use the joint editor to set your center again (maybe ) .

Then rename  and set limits , save the figure again , then edit the cr2 to hide all the dials you dont need.

lesbentley ( ) posted Wed, 30 April 2008 at 6:26 AM · edited Wed, 30 April 2008 at 6:28 AM

Morphs are a bad way to rotate things. Stick with yRotate. If you saved as cr2, rather than crz, you can text edit the file to change the name on the dial of the rotateY channel to "Open", eg:

rotateY yrot
                        {
                        name <span style="color:rgb(255,0,0);">Open</span>

You may want to hide the other rotate and translate channels, and force limits to zero, so the door can't be moved in undesirable ways, eg: rotateZ zrot { name side-side initValue 0 hidden 1 forceLimits 1 min 0 max 0

trades2cash ( ) posted Wed, 30 April 2008 at 1:42 PM

Thanks everyone for your input. I will look into all three ways of doing it. Once again thanks for the responses.

Tashar59 ( ) posted Wed, 30 April 2008 at 10:44 PM

I would would go with lesbentley's way. That is the easiest and simplest not to mention the most common way of doing it.

kobaltkween ( ) posted Thu, 01 May 2008 at 5:03 PM

just to say, i believe Dr. Geep has a tutorial for making the lid of a box work. 

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.