Sat, Sep 21, 6:32 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 21 3:32 pm)

Subject: Having two parents

angola ( ) posted Wed, 06 June 2001 at 10:08 AM · edited Fri, 02 August 2024 at 12:12 AM

I came across a post that talked about a way to give a prop two parents. I thought it was a bit esoteric at the time, but now I have a child in need of a father and a mother. Can anyone point me in the right direction? angola

Anthony Appleyard ( ) posted Wed, 06 June 2001 at 10:47 AM

A part (except the UNIVERSE) always has an ordinary parent. If a part is the most distal segment (= the "goal") of an IK-chain which is curently set "on", it also has an IK-parent alias inkyParent. By default the inkyParent is that model's BODY, but it can be changed, by the "Object" dropdown menu. IK = Inverted Kinematics. IK-parenting is used to make closed loops of jointed parts, e.g. my diver models' breathing tubes, or a man holding a tool or weapon in both hands.

chromecafe ( ) posted Wed, 06 June 2001 at 11:20 AM

Allright Anthony I get the concept now in eglish please:-)

angola ( ) posted Wed, 06 June 2001 at 12:19 PM

Yeah, like I said, I thought it was a bit esoteric :-). What do I need to change to give a part two parents? Is it just a simple edit of the files?

LordNakagawa ( ) posted Wed, 06 June 2001 at 1:22 PM

Actually there is a way. If you by two parents you mean when you move the part both parents will be bent you can do this by directly editing the cr2. I made an experiamental female charater whose left and right breasts wer separte body parts, and so the left collar had two parents- the chest (teh real parent) and left breast which is not a real parent but it is deformed by the collar (the step-parent). SO the breasts were children of teh chest, and the colars parents of the chest and breasts. It works OK but not great Sounds incestuous but its possible. look at the part of eth cr2 for that body part (under chanels) You will notice taht several paraments have the name of the parent. Simply duplicate the paraments change the name of teh parent to the second parent (there are also instances in the parameter data not just the name). So you will have teh original parenters in addition to the new ones If this soudns like gibber if you give me an example of eth cr2 and scenario perhaps I can be of more help. I could also post the figure if anyone wants it. Anotehr exanple of incestous heirachy and step parenteing is the flubber experient in the Yahoo posertech forum http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PoserTECH

angola ( ) posted Wed, 06 June 2001 at 1:40 PM

Thanks LordNakagawa, I'll have a look before I come botherin' you with questions. PoserTECH group sounds like Renderosity on acid. I'll drop by. angola

Anthony Appleyard ( ) posted Thu, 07 June 2001 at 2:53 AM

These channels that you copy and change: are they rotate and translate channels, or are they smoothing and "jointx/y/z" channels?

LordNakagawa ( ) posted Thu, 07 June 2001 at 9:27 AM

I copied all the parenters it for them all, but then again my result were imperfect. The best way way to test the boundaries of what Poser useres were not meant to know is to perform these dark and forbidden experiments. Lord Nakagawa Next on the Poser mad scientist forum: What to do when your poser creations come to life and try to take over the world

angola ( ) posted Thu, 07 June 2001 at 12:25 PM

Don't. They've already taken over my life and part of me wants it back.

adminags ( ) posted Mon, 18 June 2001 at 6:01 AM

I know this is all strange but I need to know how to make this work. I've been hoping it was possible, since Posing takes soooo much time. Normally IK annoys me because it means people refuse to move their legs. However I have characters who need to wield two handed tools. I would rather not have to line up both hands every time. Please tell me the simplest, specific, way to make a character's hands (or gloves if easier) glue to a broom handle or similar? Once I see an example work then I will understand whatever it is you said above.

Anthony Appleyard ( ) posted Mon, 18 June 2001 at 6:07 AM

Make his left ark IK-on. Make his right arm IK-off. Parent the broom to his right hand. Select his left hand. Go into the Objects mwnu. In that menu, select "set parent". Set the broom to be parent. That will select his left hand's IK-parent to be the broom. Then pose his right arm, and his left arm will follow it, if it is long enough to reach.

Don't text-edit extra x/y/zRotate parameter dials in, or you will likely merely make a mess and get Poser's workings in a tangle.

Dogface ( ) posted Mon, 18 June 2001 at 8:24 PM

Cant this be made transitive? There is a style of sword and buckler in which the sword and buckler very often move together as a unit--essentially, it's treating them as a "two-handed weapon" except that one can "separate" it when the tactical situation requries it. Example: Double defense with sword and buckler, then press opponent's weapon with buckler while striking with the sword... Thus, in Poser terms, I would want to para-parent things even a further step, say parenting the buckler to the left hand, the sword to the right, and then do this para-parenting thing so the sword is simultaneously para-parented to the buckler. Could that be done?

Anthony Appleyard ( ) posted Tue, 19 June 2001 at 1:54 AM

Attached Link: http://www.buckrogers.demon.co.uk/3d/thumb/rs.jpg

I don't know about old-type knight-in-armor and ancient warrior shields, but I have used modern riotshields and they are parented to the left forearm, not to the left hand. See this link (the thumbnail of my riotshield model). But the goal of the left arm's IK-chain is the left hand, not the left forearm. That might complicate matters. If you set the sword arm IK-on and IK-parent the sword hand to the shield arm hand, the sword hand will follow the shield arm hand, if it can reach, but the shield arm hand won't follow the sword arm hand. Or I think so. But you can't change IK-settings or parentage during a Poser movie run.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.