Wed, Sep 18, 7:57 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 7:39 am)

Subject: Some really weird sh!t - Poser running in WINE/Linux

Penguinisto ( ) posted Sun, 11 May 2008 at 7:23 PM · edited Wed, 18 September 2024 at 7:46 AM

file_405915.jpg

...here's the trick: I never installed it in WINE.

I'll explain... I installed a Windows XP partition at my missus' behest. While I was there, I chucked in Poser 6 (thinking I could snatch libraries and such for a WINE test).

Just for giggles, I cruised over to the directory where it was sitting after installing Linux and WINE, and launched Poser.exe for giggles. The screenshot is what came up.

A quickie load-and-render test showed that it worked just fine.

Penguinisto ( ) posted Sun, 11 May 2008 at 7:50 PM · edited Sun, 11 May 2008 at 7:56 PM

As further proof, I'll post one w/ a render going - average A4 char, some clothes, some AOL/IBL, the usual stuff.

Oh, system specs. Almost forgot:

Software:

• Novell OpenSuSE Linux
  • NVIDIA prop. video driver
  • wine 0.9.61(rpm downloaded and installed from http://www.winehq.org)
  • tweaked it with a couple of settings that made the thing run perfectly after the initial load:

$> cd ~/.wine/drive_c/windows
$> mv system32 system32.bak
$> mv Microsoft.NET Microsoft.NET.bak
$> ln -s /windows/C/WINDOWS/system32 .
$> ln -s /windows/C/WINDOWS/Microsoft.NET .

• ...and that's it.

Hardware:

Intel Pentium 4 Extreme Edition 3.2GHz w/ HT
2GB DDR2 PC 5200 RAM
GeForce 6800 GTS PCIe video card latched onto an NEC 125F monitor.

Loaded A4 next with a basic clothed character (shown here), and went for a full AOL/IBL render (ditto).

Overall performance? There are a couple of small UI quirks (e.g. moving a window in the UI causes the click-n-drag to 'stick', but a second click at the destination lets go). Otherwise, it is quite responsive to movement and dial settings. Removing IK was damned-near instantaneous (unlike before in Windows or OSX, where it usually takes awhile).  Render time was about average (too bad...)

Penguinisto ( ) posted Sun, 11 May 2008 at 8:01 PM

file_405918.jpg

...screenie as promised

mylemonblue ( ) posted Sun, 11 May 2008 at 8:40 PM · edited Sun, 11 May 2008 at 8:40 PM

Fascinating. I've never heard of it working like that before! LOL. Sorry for my Linux newbie-ish ignorance. Is that command line saying you replaced Wine's system32 & Microsoft.NET with symlinks to the ones in the Windows partition?

My brain is just a toy box filled with weird things

mylemonblue ( ) posted Sun, 11 May 2008 at 8:57 PM · edited Sun, 11 May 2008 at 8:58 PM

Errk. The edit feature on this site pooped out on me in the middle of an edit. Ok. I just read the other thread. That ansered my question about the symlinks. Cool stuff. :)

My brain is just a toy box filled with weird things

Penguinisto ( ) posted Mon, 12 May 2008 at 2:09 AM

Quote - Is that command line saying you replaced Wine's system32 & Microsoft.NET with symlinks to the ones in the Windows partition?

Heh - exactly what I did :)

Even cooler, it survived restarting just fine (just in case it may have been a matter of all the right bits being okay in RAM, but not on disk).

Now if only I can get D|S to run (it installs just fine that way, but refuses to run for some odd reason...)

/P

adp001 ( ) posted Mon, 12 May 2008 at 6:48 AM

Did a quick test, but your method (symlinking system32) seems not to work with Ubuntu/Nvidia out of the box. Will give it another try later. But I think I've read something about "do not overwrite Wines system files..." on Wines homepage.

Penguinisto ( ) posted Mon, 12 May 2008 at 9:20 AM

Quote - Did a quick test, but your method (symlinking system32) seems not to work with Ubuntu/Nvidia out of the box. Will give it another try later. But I think I've read something about "do not overwrite Wines system files..." on Wines homepage.

...that's why I backed those up first. Not sure how Ubuntu or RH would react to it.

/P

stewer ( ) posted Wed, 14 May 2008 at 1:26 PM

Last time I tried (must have been at least a year ago I think) I was able to run Poser 7 in SreeD mode on Ubuntu/Wine straight from the Poser installer without any Windows libraries. I remember that I had to install a custom version of Wine, the one from the Ubuntu repository was too old.

Maybe I should give it a try again with 8.04. Would be interested in seeing if it maps Windows threads to pthreads. Were you able to use OpenGL when running Poser?

adp001 ( ) posted Wed, 14 May 2008 at 1:32 PM

Quote - Last time I tried (must have been at least a year ago I think) I was able to run Poser 7 in SreeD mode on Ubuntu/Wine straight from the Poser installer without any Windows libraries. I remember that I had to install a custom version of Wine, the one from the Ubuntu repository was too old.

Maybe I should give it a try again with 8.04. Would be interested in seeing if it maps Windows threads to pthreads. Were you able to use OpenGL when running Poser?

Runs "out of the box" with Ubuntu Hardy. But with some trouble with Posers own windows. OpenGL runs, threads are supported. Just anything else works as expected - even the morphbrush.

WandW ( ) posted Wed, 14 May 2008 at 2:27 PM

I'm running Poser 7 under Wine 0.9.55 and it runs fine in a virtual desktop.  However, under later versions of Wine, the viewport pops behind the main window any time the lights or view are manipulated.  If I run it on the desktop, moving the child windows(eg Viewport or Parameter dials) locks out the keyboard and mouse buttons for a long period of time-mine doesn't 'let go' at the destination.

I too copied my Poser directory over from a Windows machine, but I didn't link in any Windows directories.

What version of the nVidia driver are you using?

Cheers,

Rod

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Wisdom of bagginsbill:

"Oh - the manual says that? I have never read the manual - this must be why."
“I could buy better software, but then I'd have to be an artist and what's the point of that?"
"The [R'osity Forum Search] 'Default' label should actually say 'Don't Find What I'm Looking For'".
bagginsbill's Free Stuff... https://web.archive.org/web/20201010171535/https://sites.google.com/site/bagginsbill/Home

Penguinisto ( ) posted Wed, 14 May 2008 at 2:43 PM

Quote -
Runs "out of the box" with Ubuntu Hardy. But with some trouble with Posers own windows. OpenGL runs, threads are supported. Just anything else works as expected - even the morphbrush.

Stewer - what he said. The only niggling issue left was that the expand tab in the Materials room would sometimes 'wiggle' - that is, it would rapidly shift byy a couple of pixels to the left and right. Switch rooms, go back, and it calms down.

Oh, the NVIDIA driver: I think it was latest+greatest off the NVIDIA site, but I'll have to get home and check the machine for the specific version.

LostinSpaceman ( ) posted Wed, 14 May 2008 at 5:04 PM

Interesting.

nyguy ( ) posted Thu, 15 May 2008 at 6:48 AM

Keeping track of this thread. Might help out at the company I work at for tech support since we only support Windows upto XP version for now and we had some calls from EU's that are running Linux and trying to get our software to work.

Poserverse The New Home for NYGUY's Freebies

Silke ( ) posted Sun, 18 May 2008 at 8:08 PM

I've often wondered if it might work under Linux. Thanks for showing this. I'm considering getting a second box with linux on it -- no windows. Think it will work?

Silke

Penguinisto ( ) posted Sun, 18 May 2008 at 9:38 PM

Dunno - you can always try (just make sure you have the VC Runtimes installed).

I did notice that when I was running it this morning, I got an out-of-memory error when loading a V4 MAT file... until I shut off Beagle (a memory-leaking hog of an app that I'd forgotten was installed).

/P

WandW ( ) posted Thu, 22 May 2008 at 3:39 PM

I had reported the issue I had with Poser 7 on the Desktop, and Alexandre Julliard of the Wine Project came up with a patch which hopefully will be incorporated into future versions:

http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=13066

Poser starts up with the Parameter Dial window behind the main window, but making the main window a window instead of full-screen reveals it.

If  anyone is interested in trying it, this page shows how to work with the source using git-
The relevant sections are 'Setup Info' and 'Patching the git Tree':

http://wiki.winehq.org/RegressionTesting

You of course need to have git and gcc installed.

Cheers,

Rod

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Wisdom of bagginsbill:

"Oh - the manual says that? I have never read the manual - this must be why."
“I could buy better software, but then I'd have to be an artist and what's the point of that?"
"The [R'osity Forum Search] 'Default' label should actually say 'Don't Find What I'm Looking For'".
bagginsbill's Free Stuff... https://web.archive.org/web/20201010171535/https://sites.google.com/site/bagginsbill/Home

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.